Micro Grow Experiment

Flowering room pic: 2 Plants under one 40W 2700k

Lost my job recently and want to save some cash on electricity so i will just experiment and see how these two plants perform under 1 bulb. No worries, i was re-employed at my previous job almost immediately with a better pay as well but it will be at least before I’m cash rich again.

The plant on the left went straight from seed into 12/12. The plant on the right got about 1 month veg time and then into flower. They are currently into 3rd week of 12/12

The Plant on the right showed pistils few days back so i think its female, tried taking pics of the same but my phone-cam just dint seem to capture it.

4 Likes

welcome friend. :slight_smile:

my sympathies; the only aspect I’d discourage is the use of CFL-- LED screw-in is far superior.

make the bottles lightproof w/paint or tape.

sadly i find indoor gardening to require 'cashola too :rolling_eyes:

There are numerous examples of low-budget & low power growing here… @Mr.Sparkle’s icmag CFL stuff is how I got onto OG. :wink:

the only other concern is what are your expectations & “yield requirements”? if you need more weed then you’ll need a bigger garden.

SOME weed is ALWAYS better than NO weed. :smile:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

My expectations are actually quite simple currently…
High Quality Potent Sinsemilla Buds grown at home = 0grms
Goal = to change that.

Even if i can only get 1 joint out of it - if it’s an exceptional smoke, i think its still worth the time & effort i have put it.

Eventually i want to setup a perpetual grow where i am harvesting a lil bit of fresh bud every week and i’m ready to do the needful to succeed.

Low Budget & power seem to be what i’m after. Just trying to figure out what works in my situation.

I’m presently in the latter state with nothing to smoke, but honestly i can’t decide if smoking or growing gives me more satisfaction. I think it’s fantastic hobby to have picked up.

8 Likes

Progress Card: 12th Oct

top view

1. Plant on the left: Potting soil with organic manure. It could be healthier, but seems to have grown the better than the others. Also has the best root development.

2. Plant in middle: Potting soil-Coco-Organic Manure (40-40-20) Leaves look green but there has hardly been any upward growth.

3. Plant on the right: Pure coco. Good root development but no upward growth. Leaves are looking gnarly.

Any Diagnosis…??

I have a cheap 3-in-1 probe that detects Ph-Moisture-Light. Not sure how reliable & accurate they are but better than having nothing. All the mediums usually report a Ph of higher than 7.5 - which from what i have read is not ideal. Nutes locked out perhaps…??

Still a noob so there is a lot i don’t understand.

3 Likes

It sure is. A real stepping stone in the path of emnlightenment. :wink:

Great attitude; I smoke too much & need ridiculous amounts so I had to ask. :blush:

:thumbsup:

4 Likes

Good ol’ Dr Bud!

I have to say he and Anti Micro did me a good turn by posting there.
Although I haven’t been to icmag in a while, I seem to recall Dr. Bud leaving there suddenly, don’t know if he returned. Some posters really attacked him there, and it wasn’t pretty. Dr. Bud, of course, responded in kind, dude can fire back! and this may have contributed to his departure.
But imo opinion, Dr Bud genuinely was trying to help folks, even if he was proud of his success.

I’m pretty sure it’s ok to post links to other sites, not speaking for the mods or principals here and I like the hell out of icmag, … but … OG feels more like home to me. And most members will tell you so if you give them half a chance.

I don’t come to this plant with fight club in mind and I know it doesn’t want that either.

People here treat each other respectfully and with good reason, they are all awesome with dope on mj.

So with all due respect to Dr. and Anti – tending so many plants is a lot of work and both of their methods are designed around just that. So that alone made me look for a method better suited to my needs.
What they did do was fire up the will to try my own grows and I thank them for that.

I’m striving for the day when I have only 2 plants going, both magnificent.

4 Likes

Check the ph of that soil with a chemical soil tester…
Mine hovers around 6.2.
Weed is tough and can sometimes flourish in high ph soils like yours but we’re not seeing this here.

I have never seen organic manure with such high numbers. Amendments like that usually need mixing in your medium, then add, lime, gypsum(more gypsum than lime 2/1 ratio) and keep in a cool dark place with an air permeable cover, like medium duty weed block, for at least 3 weeks before planting.
Mix this every week to monitor moisture and mix in air. Check ph before use as well.
Hot manures or any strong organic ferts need time to assimilate in the medium lest they burn your plant or swing the ph crazy.

You are finding out that pure coco is too dense, holds water so tightly that the lowest levels of your pot are likely oxygen starved. Many nasty things often deadly to plants, any plant, happen in this level.
Without proper soil/medium texture, water tends to “perch” instead of draining, the exact same mechanism that holds water in a sponge.
So not only cut with a high percentage of perlite(small sized, no bigger than 1/4 inch), rinse with:
rain water, *best;
zerowater, *2nd best;
distilled *3rd best.
Every coco that I’ve ever used has been full of debris, sand and mostly SALT.

Make sure to boil it or bake at 250F as discussed, before mixing.

3 Likes

@okletsgrow
What little I’ve done with coco/coir tells me that quality is usually & variously poor like @spaceman says. it’s not peat or dirt or rockwool.

2 Likes

i got a 125 Watt cfl from amazon … love them for veg …admit i am old school :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
—Isaac Newton (1642–1727)

You folks at OG are my GIANTS…!!

Thank you. If i have something to smoke, i end up smoking ridiculous amounts myself. The only time I’m forced to take a break is when my procurer goes out of action, like at the moment, but i’m not complaining - its helping me lower the heavy tolerance i have built up from smoking a lot…!!

@spaceman

Just finished my first reading of True Living Organics by Rev and i appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Reading it over again to soak all of it up. Will try to implement the recommendation as soon as i have more resources handy.

Thank you for the help in diagnosis & the tips shared.

3 Likes

Sorry for the poor quality pic but this is the best my camera could capture.

It’s a Girl…!!

But not a happy looking one. Leaves are foxtailing…?? (not sure if thats the term)

Could be due heat stress from being extremely close to the bulb. Lower leaves seem unaffected. Moved it slightly away to see if it helps.

or is it root bound…??

I can see roots popping out of the hole in 11’o clock position but not in the others

3 Likes

I swear to god i din’t have some much trouble during my first grow. Must have been beginner’s luck.

1 Like

Old school Rocks…!! All that experience helps newbies like me succeed in their endeavours…!!

2 Likes

Less is More mentality…

I would love to have many plants to tend to. More the merrier in my books. Would love to have an SOG with multiple strains growing. I want to succeed ASAP

1 Like

thanks … am sort of new to indoor growing but have been growing all sorts of things since i was a kid …it does not seem all that hard to me… that plant looks like hell …sorry but it does …its all stretched out and yellow …you need to do something before it gets looking like that …get some good potting soil …i use miracle grow …its light fluffy and safe …get some good containers …see through is not good …make sure they have good drainage …get a good fan …oscillating works good it helps the plant develop a strong stem and get plenty of air …and good lights …make sure they are close enough to the plant so you do not get stretch …DO NOT over water …better to have a wilted plant that can recover in a few min then one with root rot that will never recover …good ferts and do not over do it …more is NOT better …if you have city water let it stand out a day or two before you use it on plants so the bleach they put in it dissipates … if you have a water softener DO NOT use that water it is full up with salts …

3 Likes

the leaves are clawing and cupping… possibly over watered or over fed but excessive wind can do it too. the light may be too close too. :smile: not a lot of help heheh

3 Likes

Check out autoflowering strains! You can’t clone them but they give bud in about 2 months!

Flower Room Update

Top view

The plant in the pot isnt doing well. Plant in the bottle seems to be the healthiest growing one but still no signs of pre-flowers. Seems like an Indica… thought they usually flower the fastest. Both went in 12/12 at the same time.

Eventually i want the platform to be filled with multiple budding plantlets.

@spaceman

I think i’m going to try my luck with TLO

I’m waiting for the ingredients to be delivered to follow his basic recipe. The only things i have’nt been able to order

1. Green sand ( not available online)
  2. Bloodmeal ( not available online)
  3. Feather meal (not available online)
  4. High N Guano ( too expensive for my budget currently)
  5. Steer manure (not available online)
  6. Azomite (not available online)

Hope i’m not missing out on too many ingredients. Any substitutes which you think i should get my hands on.

1 Like

I agree. Not your fault.

Definitely yellow…!! i thought the plants stretch as a natural response when switched into 12/12…??

That’s not enough light brother, if that’s all the light you can provide you should at least put them in a smaller space where the light can reflect back from the walls.

1 Like