Micro Grow Experiment

Thanks for dropping in Hempire420

I do have 2 more 40w 2700K but currently off since i’m on a cash crunch to save on the electricity bills.

This is the a photo from ICMAG by Blynx with ultra low level lightings. Seems to be getting great results

Thought i would experiment to see if i can get similar results.

3 Likes

Of course i’m sure that grower has his setup completely dialed in.

1 Like

Guess you are right. that pic is in a cab which seem to be fully saturated with lights.

I follow Blynx’s grows as well and built my 1st light following his guidelines.

Are you using compact fluorescent light bulbs?

Currently 1 LED 40w 2700K with the dome popped. Trying to have the plants as close to the light as possible but any closer and it gets really HOT.

Don’t sweat it man, you can easily improve the lighting without spending hardly any cash.

That’s more than enough for 1 square foot.
It would be better if you had 3x 10w or 12w bulbs thought, just some thought for future setup upgade!

What you need to do is get some white walls around the plant, whatever you can get cardboard/wood/sign boards doesn’t really matter just enclose the plants in a space of about 1square foot.
And cover the walls with something white, paint them if you can or if not line them with some white plastic. That way the light will reflect back from the walls to the plant.

2 Likes

really was not trying to be rude but rather to be honest…yes it will stretch some but not that much …it helps lots to also pinch off the top when it is in veg so it branches out …i know it maybe seems like your damaging the plant but this is not the case …think of it as a bonsai thing …that your making the plant grow the way you want it to …it also maybe the strain your growing is not a good indoor type …i do not remember what your using for lights but they may not be strong enough or not close enough to the plant …it might be one or all of these things …yellow leaves maybe you over fertilized or under fertilized …over fertilizing will hurt the roots and make it hard for the plant to get what it needs …it could also be over watering this also can hurt the roots and again the plant is unable to get what it needs …are u running a fan on it? …that is also important as it makes sure the plant is getting lots of fresh air and makes the stems thicker and stronger…which will also give you bigger buds …do not run a fan on high just a low speed is enough …or not pointed directly at the plant but just so it makes the leaves wiggle a little bit …you do not want to blow it into next week …many of the things i mentioned only you would know since your the keeper of the plant … am sure if you keep at it you will learn and do better … and before you know it you will be a top grower …do not give up …do not think of this as a failure but as how much you learned :slight_smile:

1 Like

A lot of great growers at ICMag over the years. Blynx is a master of growing in tiny spaces. Same with NGB, Anti, and DrBudGreenGenes. A pretty high bar for sure.

3 Likes

Trust me i’m thick skinned so i can take it…

I appreciate all the feedback i get here coz i hardly know any growers in person to ask for advice - so i’m learning a lot by being on here.

Topping is something i would try doing but none of my plants in Veg are doing so well…lol

Just using all bagseeds i have collected over the past few month’s stash.

One 40w LED 2700K about 4inches away from the plant. Any closer & it gets really HOT.

I have been looking at the pics and i just realized the photos taken from my phone camera actually doesnt do the plants justice plus a lot of light is being reflected off leaves making it look really yellow since its so close to the bulb.

adding a fan in tommorow - borrowing it from a friend. Will do as you have suggested.

Keeper of the Plant…!! i love that title…!!

Ready to keep failing till i succeed…!!

2 Likes

Aim for the stars… maybe i will reach the mountains perhaps…??

2 Likes

Soo simple but effective. Got to try it out.

Was’nt thinking about enclosing it since i though it would effect the ventilations around the plant but i guess thats the secret behind the success in all those cabs.

Will implement and update soon…

Thanks…!!

1 Like

This is what i was able to come up with some trash lying around at home.

Used styrofoam on two sides and white plastic on the 3rd side. The box i think is about 1.5sqft - slightly bigger than what you recommended but just using what i had handy.

I think you gave me some rock solid advice to improve my grow. I’m pretty sure i was wasting a lot of light previously which i think should be available for the plants now.

Thanks again.

3 Likes

It’s not really an airtight enclosure so as far as fresh air exchange goes you’re not changing much.

That’s still far from ideal, but it’s exactly what I had in mind and already a huge improvement!
Glad I could help :slight_smile:

Looking at your resources, you probably haven’t even considered it, but I can’t stop thinking about a micro scrog.
You should look into that, as it would make a more efficient use of the light you have and in the end give you a better yield than you can get with that “standard” setup.

Cheers,

Hempire

1 Like

Its running on low speed and its oscillating but i guess better than having no ventilation. First time i have added ventilation to the grow… read that good ventilation is one of the easiest and cheapest way to improving the yield.

The top of the plants wiggle gently when the fan is pointing in its direction, also seems to dissipate the heat from the bulb - checked with my hand close to the bulb.

Hope its not too close or too far away.

2 Likes

Greetings to all…!!

Thread seems to have gone dead. Would like to revive with some updates.

Hope to keep getting ideas for improvements. Apologies again if keep asking some noob questions.

So here is a pic from the veg room:

The plant on the left seems to be growing the healthiest. The lighting has been consistently on 18/6 however i see some pistils growing on them on close inspection on some of the lower side branches (too tiny to capture on camera however i’m 100% they are pistils).

Q: Is it possible if some of the lower branches being shaded by the bigger fan leaves on top getting lesser light has triggered flowering in some remote areas of the plant…??

Cloning Attempt 2:

Glass bottle with tray of perlite with plain water & lil bit of rooting hormone.
Bottle is closed to maintain 100% humidity. ( Really not sure if it will work - just experimenting)
Opened every day to allow some fresh air inside.
Water collects on the glass walls after awhile.

6 Likes

This plant does’nt seem to be doing so well. No idea whats wrong. It was thriving during the initial days but then it started going down hill since past few days.

Any suggestions to help it improve would be implemented immediately.

5 Likes

they look wet

how is your soil for drainage?

all the best

Dequilo

2 Likes

The plant which is doing well and the one that is not are both in the same soil mix

TLO Recommended Fast Mix ( 1 Part Organic Soil - 1 Part Perlite - 1 Part Worm-casting )

Both have been feed some tea enriched with some myco-fungi.

The plants are in small containers and it gets dry super fast. Watering when the container feels super light which happens almost every 2 days.

2 Likes

then that is a good thing :smile:

when I see a plant with clawed leaves I think too wet

is soil cold?

1 Like