Micro Growing with Mr. Sparkle *2018*

Thanks for this info. I decided to give them there own pots on this run and see how big they get in a 1.5 gallon.

1 Like

Are 6 of these okay for a small grow area for 3-4 plants?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81Hsv20L3pL.SL1500.jpg

2 Likes

yes and popping the domes off will be a benefit but im not sure how those specific lights are constructed. They are probably not far off of the Philips versions i get over here. As for the amount that depends on the size of the area, but your probably wanting to hit around 35w per sqft at least for decent flowering and growth, so if those 6 are in say 2 sqft sure, if not you will probably need to add more, but i can’t remember from your thread if your current plants will be grown outdoors or not in the future.

3 Likes

The weather report is looking damn right terrible with a couple of okay days till mid/end may so I can’t do anything outdoors sadly.

Thanks for this info. 6 might just work.

What you want to go off of is lumens more than wattage @ioik

For a frame of reference a 600w HPS lets off 95,000 lumens when new. IMO a mature flowering plant in a 5gal pot needs at least 15,000 lumens to grow to full potential. But I’m talking about a fully mature female up to 5 feet tall in a 5gal pot.

3 Likes

While true that lumens are a good reference point when comparing between light choices such as light output vs total wattage. You have to consider area into that factor as well as a 600w hps lighting a 10000sqft warehouse won’t do a whole heck of a lot compared to lighting a 3’x3’ space.

Also PAR or even moles/day is a better measurement for us and our plants for what they need to be given to thrive, as ultimately lumens is a measurement of “Visible Light” with no specifics or measurement outside our eye’s perception. It also favors light right in the middle of our spectrum to be brighter in comparison to light at the edge of our spectrum. So a green light of the same energy output will always seem brighter to us than say a blue or a red light. So you could have a light that produces 15000lumens right in the middle of our spectrum, but if you had a light with the same output of 15000lumens but its a mixed or plant tuned spectrum, the later will be putting out a lot more energy in general just due to the nature of how lumens are measured.

Saying that and sticking with lumens as its whats on the side of the box as their intended for us and not plant lighting. A decent old metric to go by is 5000-8000lumens per sqft.

6 Likes

I agree… but unfortunately PAR isn’t listed on the sides of most boxes. Just trying to make it easier to calculate how many of those are needed.

1 Like

I picked those bulbs because they were both the highest watt and highest lumens I could find. Seemed like all bases in one. Interesting to hear that light is like sound where there are sounds outside the range that also contribute to the total.

Its actually exactly the same, audio is just energy we hear in the 20Hz - 20 KHz range, whereas visible light that we see is in the 430 - 770 THz range

3 Likes

Well cats are always seeing things we don’t and dogs hear things we don’t. :smiley:

1 Like

Bogan Day 57/51
Packed, too much so, the GSC is just stacking now really bulking up. Gonna have to probably get more of these seeds to play with.

Day 12 the Bucket, these f2’s are looking decent and without that leaf crinkle mutation i was wanting to breed out. Time to start a few more seeds for another test of them.

7 Likes

Whose NL Autos are those @2tokejoke? They look very promising. :cowboy_hat_face:

They are very hardy…vigorous from day one…they came from female seeds co from legalcanada.

1 Like

Thanks @2tokejoke! Is that our @legalcanada? :cowboy_hat_face:

Yes sir that is our legal C.

Bogan Day 62/56

The GSC is shutting down, she will be finishing this week forsure, but will keep the lowers around for some seeds. The others are being a mess, the cream mandarins i say probably about 2-3 weeks left, the daiquiri lime no idea as its only partially flowering.

Bucket day 17
They have bolted over the last couple days, and have been neglected but they have served what i wanted them to do. Just testing to see if that leaf crinkle mutation is gone,which it is in these, but need to test more. Two of them definitely would be purple come harvest the other one was a possibility, but these are getting chopped today, and the bucket is gonna be dismantled. as its fighting for space with the new cab.

BESTÅ Ikea Cab, so its all build but still a couple things to do, @ReikoX twisted my rubber arm and even though its currently all hooked up with timers, i have a Sonoff 4ch pro coming tuesday that i’ll play with first before hooking up, that and a ozone gen is coming as the one i bought i messed up, but it will be on a periodic timer once here and hooked up.

As for the cabneit currently running 3x3500k sol sticks but am running them down around 90+watts currently with the fans and the rest making it up to 100watts. I will run more light if i can but till i can get some grown plants, temperature readings will be a bit off. So running it at a safe level currently. Of yah has 4x40mm circulation fans, 120mm exhaust fan, passive intakes through the bottom sides, attiny85 watering circuits that read a soil sensor like my past stuff but they are feeding a differnt pump, slightly beefier 12v pumps but running at 7v as 12 is overkill.

Also the container/trays they are Ikea Kuggis boxes that perfectly fit this cab, as they were designed for them, but there is a 1/2" drainage hole under each pot. pretty handy, res volume is around 5-6 liters so they will need to be refilled more often but still should get a week+ out of them easily.

As for pots, two are some of my old fabric pots wiith around 600ml volume, and the others are yogurt containers only filled to 600ml as i’ll be doing a comparison, plus i don’t have any more yogurt containers yet.

Current i just planted some DD f2’s as a trial, but they all should of been planted a couple days ago as the sprouts were a good 3-4" long comming out of the paper towel.

anyways i may start a new thread for this cab or just keep this thread going, i don’t know quite yet, unless you all have suggestions on what you would like to see.

20 Likes

Slick bro! Nice work as usual! :cowboy_hat_face:

Yeah you should have seen him screaming to stop when I twisted his arm.

1 Like

@Mr.Sparkle.ive outgrown my space can…its good for what it is…great for starting and vegging…got me a chifaro in my shed i just converted…i just this week started getting light burning…and i dont wanna do any more tying down…im doimg the finnishing touches now and will send a pic…im in full flower mode and im gonna remove my tie downs and let them do what they want…today is the 61 day mark…
Gonna throw a picture up shortly this eve

10 Likes