Mila Jansen - The Hash Queen - Inventor of The Pollinator (article)

Here is a really good (short excerpt) article about Mila Jansen, the original inventor of The Pollinator back in 1994

9 Likes

For those interested in learning more about The Pollinator, here is her site:

2 Likes

Kinda surprises me it took till 94 for someone to make a motorized sifter.

4 Likes

The “technology” surrounding how we consume cannabis and extracts is really pretty new. If we had thought about using a hair straightener and a vice grip to get dabs, or even if we knew what dabs were or how to consume them, in the 1970s or 80s and how to monetize just that alone we would be richer than Bill Gates now lol

6 Likes

True… it was just mid 2000s when I thought BHO (open hosted) was top notch and we were at the top of the game with bubble bags for gas and a stainless steel BHO tube on a stand.

3 Likes

Dabs been around since the 70s. Maybe sooner.

2 Likes

Yea, the guy I use to grow with told me about an alcohol extraction machine they had when him and his brother were younger. The iso2 extractor or The isomerizer is what they had.
Ever since the first OG closed down I had been out of the loop, didn’t do any growing or reading to be up to date. It was only two or three years ago that I first learned of distillates and vape carts, terpenes, diamonds, rosin :crazy_face:. Back in the day of the old overgrow, a oil rig that was popular was just a bell shaped bowl that caught the vapor off a piece of heated metal, like hot knifing. I remember a member that had a piece of solid titanium that they heated on their stove.

3 Likes

Not as we know them now - full melt and solventless. If you have other evidence to the contrary I would love to hear it.

Having consumed extracts in the 1970s that were made with those I would not describe that as dabs - it was a closed-loop system designed for cannabis, and it was mostly garbage. Here is an article from the creator of the isomerizer that is pretty interesting discussing about the evolution of extracts:

Here is the “Dr. Atomic Marijuana Multiplier” that describes in detail how the isomerizer works:

1 Like

Full melt can be achieved with dry sift hash. Which has been around since the beginning. And, the technique of applying pressure and heat to extract essential oils has been around for ever.

3 Likes

I remember hash was big in the late 60’s black , red, blond ! Then 70 ish red hash oil like sticky , had use two hot knifes To smoke lol old school
Paps

3 Likes

None of the hash I ever smoked in the 1970s or 1980s was full-melt hash, even the best Iranian govt gold seal hash was not full melt. If you were smoking full-melt hash in the 1970s you were definitely hanging with the cool kids.

yep - hot knives, loved those - I was hooked, even learned how to hold the cut off soda bottle between my knees and stick the hot knives up inside the bottle as a one-man operation. My favorite hash was the opiated black hash that was soft like cheese

3 Likes

Yea the modern technique of qwiso/qwet is much cleaner than the old machine lol. then throw it in a distiller or a dedicated unit like the source Turbo and you reclaim the alcohol too.

1 Like

Oh yeah and don’t forget liquid opium ( a friend came back from Vietnam with a bunch of veils and black weed damn skippy what a Combo

3 Likes

The only opium that I had that I would consider to be real, and not that sticky perfume incense crap people ordered out of the back of High Times, was some opium I traded a guy for a hand-painted t-shirt I made at a grateful dead concert and it was like a crystal and it had the color of Neutrogena soap. I had no idea how to smoke it properly and probably wasted 90% of it but what I did smoke was amazing and made me glad I didnt have access to more of it or I would have ended up like those guys you see in drawings and photos of 19th century opium dens in san francisco lol

2 Likes

Yes fully agree I miss it and am very glade it’s not around me Anymore but I could have fallen in and never come out

1 Like