Mini Espalier

So I was thinking about other better ways to manage plant in conditions with low headroom.

What I’m thinking of is like a horizontal supercrop extended over distance.

I could just tie them over but maybe it would work.

Maybe like this?

Just crazy thinking.

19 Likes

Not so crazy.
Others have done it:

18 Likes

You can do anything if you have unlimited veg time. It’s just much more time-efficient to grow many small plants than training one giant one.

7 Likes

I had a blast doing a White Widow photo espalier awhile back.

Set her up against a lattice on the patio and trained her bit by bit all summer long. The pic doesn’t really show it but I achieved an almost perfect symmetry and a half a pound yield as a bonus. Full disclosure: The quality of the smoke was dismal so she mostly ended up in tincture. It was so much fun playing with her I didn’t mind too much.

The “real” espaliers in formal gardens are generally trees that can last decades.

9 Likes

There are many reasons people use espalier in their designs and landscapes. As a tree surgeon I have done this to many trees and plants.

Some for just aesthetics:

and some for practicality like easy picking of fruit:

15 Likes

And then there is topiary which is pure design of plants:

12 Likes

I don’t know how to add just a copy and paste pic but what about the upside down tomato growing technique. Always wondered if that would work for cannabis.

3 Likes

It does:

14 Likes

It’s how I keep my mothers!

6 Likes

:+1: point proven :rofl:

I’ve heard several times. “If you can grow a good tomato, you can grow weed” that’s what made me wonder.

4 Likes

I just KNEW someone was doing upside down tomato planters for weed lol

Kinda always wanted to try it.

5 Likes

THIS IS WHAT I TELL PEOPLE I GIVE CLONES TO!
“Grow it like a tomato, the fruit is a different type of juicy!”

This is what he did with that advice (friends 1st grow):

(**he was having bad vertigo so he asked me if I could crop it for him before the weather took her from him… I was SO PROUD for 2 reasons: 1) Look at this thing! 2) He just turned 50 and only recently has been able to reach out to ask friends for help. SO PROUD :hugs: !)

5 Likes

Definitely something to be proud of!

1 Like

Yeah, I gave it to him and he was like “What!? This isn’t the plant I grew! It’s too big!”

:laughing:

2 Likes