Modern Moroccan dry sift?

Seen this tech a bunch, and I just wondered if anyone is using it outside of the producing region or if anyone has modernized it or anything like that. Bubble hash tech works great but the drying is always a stumbling point without dedicated space. Dry sifting over screens is easy enough but the sets can get pricey, seems like this tech could be used on the cheap to get the job done. Wondering if anyone is playing around with it, has any equipment suggestions or any updates to the tech. Figured it might spark some interesting conversation:

NOTE: I realize that lots of folks are bummed on Steve Deangelo these days and that this video isn’t the ultimate example of proper traditional Moroccan hash making, just pulled this video for reference to start the convo, not to make any kind of point on Steve or to say this video shows the 100% proper way to sift.

16 Likes

I’ve always wanted to delve further than than the normal dry sift or bubble hash, tbh I’ve almost always given it to someone who made it for me for years and years . Doing it solo from this point on so I’m interested in any input on all facets. I’m just here for the info not so much input….

3 Likes

What’s up @TopShelfTrees1 im in a similar boat processing all my own stuff and just looking for the method that vibes best with me, this seems like it’d be the most cost effective and eliminates the stumbling block of drying water hash. I’ve had some good success but I feel like if I could eliminate that step As well as the washing step I’d be more inclined to make more hash more often. Hoping someone cruises through here with some equipment recommendations or just more info to share :v:t2:

2 Likes

As do I , I’m going to need to get some equipment and get this going properly. I was thinking of starting a thread tbh, saw this and thought :thought_balloon: PERFECT !

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I believe anything made in a traditional way should taste better … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Absolutely! No terps lost in water. All the flavor captured. Old school!
When you say equipment @LegsMahoney you mean mechanical? Or an old school sieving box like in Afghanistan?

2 Likes

Not mechanical I was just wondering if anyone was using the same steel bowl and silk screen method like is shown in the video, beating on the herb with sticks etc. and had recommendations (i.e. Amazon links) on what stuff to buy, or if anyone had figured out any improvements to the tech that they wanted to share

Or anything really outside of the known bubble hash tech

3 Likes

The best sifting method will be determined by the Cannabis you are sifting… because some resin heads are easily dislodged and others take more effort.( I suppose the same would be true when it comes to silkscreen.) Some areas they beat with a stick, other areas they gently tap the buds over the silk screen.
Check out Indian landrace Exchange and Botanical Warden on IG.

2 Likes

yes, definitely agree that the sifting method changes based on the cultivar and the region, my aim was more to see if i could come up with something that was generally a little easier for me here at home. if im making bubble hash i have to do the washing in the garage, which isnt ideal for potential contamination, and i dont really have a space that i can dedicate to drying, usually just sticking a pizza box in a cold spot, which isnt ideal either. regardless, its a somewhat cumbersome process. i was looking at the sifting screen sets online, but the prices are a little bit steep for a set. i follow ILE on IG already and their feed is what prompted me to look into other sifting methods and brought up this drum beating method, my thought was that this might be a more cost effective method of dry screening, but truthfully i suppose i could always jsut build a screen myself rather than buy the $200+ sets you see on amazon, but i figured more than anything if i was thinking about it, there might be other OGers that have had the same thought, and some that might have already figured some of this out, so it seemed like a topic that was ripe for discussion. always love just hearing others thoughts and methods when it comes to stuff like this!

4 Likes

I chose a mechanical tumbler. Havent had the opportunity to use it yet though. Looking forward to it.

https://www.mysifter.com/product-category/tumblers/

3 Likes

literally right after i typed all that i saw a post from shango los from the shaping fire podcast about this dude whos come up with a way to dry bubble using a vaccum in place of a freeze dryer:

never eases to amaze me what folks in the cannabis community will come up with, so much brainpower on display here.

6 Likes

If you are looking for dry sift screens, check out places that sell silk screens for printing rather than those marketing them for hash. You can usually find them cheaper there. Some of the same places will sell just rolls of the screen material too if you wanted to stretch your own or use it over a bowl like that

I can’t vouch for any brands or longevity of anything, but many of the frames can be rescreened if/when the screen breaks.

Depending on the dimensions of screens you are looking for they can be very reasonable.

If you do go that route, you definitely just want to be sure it’s monofilament screen(most are but double check before purchase).

5 Likes

That’s pretty cool! Seems pretty diy-able for someone who’s handy.
It’ll be cool to see that in action/see the results when you get around to it

2 Likes

I’ve been unable to find Silk Screening near me. Can someone get me a link to where I can order it?
I immediately thought of rigging some kind of mechanical soil sifter to bounce the buds up and down… I don’t know, might be too violent for good quality

3 Likes

I just bought the 180 micron automatic tumbler.
I have no clue where my concentrate path will lead, I figure I can always add more screens if sorting the trichomes becomes a quest. (the traditional methods do not seem to separate by multiple sizes)
Not sure if I see the value in having multiple different sieves yet, needs some hands on first.

2 Likes

The Hitachi Magic Wand…

Its a powerful vibrator often used in the bedroom, take and run that vibrator along the screen frame and you get all the agitation you want.

3 Likes

I just made screens with some wood and silk screen once upon a time, worked great. I always loved the traditional hash of my youth. Just starting to experiment with bubble hash as my old ass just sets off red flags when it comes to dumping my weed into ice water, lol.

3 Likes

https://store.garston.com/storefrontCommerce/subcategorybrowse.do?subcategory-name=Mesh&path=UPS1%2F%2F%2F%2FScreens&currentPage=1&numResults=10

This is a link to a place that should be relatively in your area that you can order just the mesh from. If that doesn’t work out for whatever reason let me k ow or google “screen printing supplies” or “screen printing mesh”.

There are tons of places that sell the finished screens, but still some that sell mesh by the yard.

2 Likes

I used to do this with a 12” embroidery hoop covered in silkscreen fabric taped to a 12” bowl.

It worked well for small quantities. Just gently rub into the screen.

4 Likes