Modern SEA varieties

Hey I’m not sure if this the right place for a topic like this and won’t be mad if it gets moved lol

I am really interested in diving into SEA varieties but don’t have the height requirements to satisfy their needs, I already have Sundance from bohdi, lemon thai f5 from doc d, and would like to find some “modern” crosses that stay true to the effects of SEA varieties but has been tamed in terms of height. Are there any banger Vietnamese crosses out there that are along the lines I’m looking for? (Basically anything that doesn’t naturally get over 10ft lol I’m limited to about 6ft) and still holds true to the Vietnamese side of things but also has no og or cookies nonsense in the heritage. I do have some pure Vietnam black but am hesitant to pop them due to my situation.

Thank you for any suggestions!

4 Likes

Here is some sea weed.

12 Likes

Thanks lol

1 Like

You probably already considered this, but why not grow those sea of green style if heights your concern

5 Likes

Because my lazy ass doesn’t want to get frustrated setting the layers up lol and I mainly don’t want to deal with it, I’m all about the set and forget it method.

1 Like

If you’re holding some nice clean Thai I’d start 7 different indicas, pop the thais looking for males only, pollinate, and then have 7 hybrids without the headache of super leggy plants.

But that’s more work than you’re proposing.

You can go with Ace’s Orient Express. It is VB x Chinese indica.

3 Likes

I’m not completely sure what do you mean by SEA but why not just look for the seeds on seedbanks? They probably have some varieties that have the genetics you want. Like, for example, Herbies Seeds have plenty to chose from. I don’t know if they do have what you need but you can just look there

South East Asian

3 Likes

Good tips from this Khalifa Seeds video.

I haven’t grown long running sativas yet, but am considering some 14 to 18 weeker Durban Poison seeds.

:canada: :green_heart:

4 Likes

If youre going to go that long then you could always go 25-30+ weeks.

Odisha Valley, Squirrel Tail etc

2 Likes

Our own resident master @JohnnyPotseed has new selections available with South East Asian crosses. You’ll have to ask him about the height on these. I am very interested in all four new releases

He listed four new releases yesterday. The “Longtime” in particular might be what you’re looking for. The Red Dragon and Black Queen also have SEA genetics.

More info can be found in this post:

4 Likes

You should be able to do fine with keeping those within your limits. I grew a few Vietblack from Snowhigh last season and with gradual potting up and lots of slow release amendments they stayed under 4ft tall.

Hard to tell exactly based on the angle of these pics but these were about done stretching in one gallon pots. After it seemed like they finished with the stretch then I potted up to 3 gallons to finish.

I post this link frequently but it’s a great resource for those trying to achieve your same goals.

5 Likes

The 80’s Durban or the 73? The 80’s Durban looks more stretchy, the 73 looks like the Durban we all know, yet flowers 16 -18 weeks and is easy to keep on the short side. The 73 has a great buzz. The 80’s Durban is one I haven’t grown yet.

1 Like

Hi @Upstate

I have limited knowledge on this strain, other than a white label version that has been good for me.

But I would like to get some regular seeds that have proven genetics. Two that I have considered are seeds from Loveoflandrace and Fleur du Mal. But I also put an ISO on the topic Seed Trading Moderated for the DPDP from the fall 2022 coop box.

If you have any suggestions, it would be a big help. :grinning:
:green_heart:

1 Like

@TricycleOfDoom Love of Landrace has Landrace or heirloom 80’s Durban. Most likely it doesn’t exist anymore in Africa, from what I’ve seen. This landrace/heirloom was hybridized first in South Africa, and the hybrid version made its way into Mel Frank’s hands, then to Europe from there, where it was further hybridized by adding Skunk genes, and this would be the version every serious American pot smoker knows and loves. I think that could have been what happened :thinking: but it’s only an educated guess, after growing 4 different Durbans. The 73 is a hybrid imo, but you’d never know it by the 16-18 week flowering time alone. The 80’s Durban is that same (73 type) Durban that never saw that original indica introduction…ie pure Sativa…same flowering time as the 73.

Basically, some Indica was brought to South Africa, (my and LoveofLandrace’ best guess is during the Boer War, or during the Zulu Wars, when Indian Coolies carrying some seeded smoke were captured by the local Zulu)and mixed with the local Sativa near Durban. This hybrid slowly regained its Sativa 18 week flowering time back over the years, but, like the 71 Panama Red, the Indica genes were now permanently in the strain and only awaiting breeding efforts to begin selections for faster plants.
I think some hybrids happened long before the accepted late 70’s timeline. Afghanistan was all hybrids by the 70’s, for instance. I’m sure Indica mixed with Sativa in Mexico by the mid 1800’s, Parke Davis spread Indica around Colombia in the late 1800’s til the 20’s, Cambodia likely saw the introduction of Yunnan Indica in the 1800’s…Uganda, Tanzania and probably Kenya saw Indica during the Arab Ivory trade…
So i guess it depends what you seek. Fluer de Mal has that Anise Durban, the 73 is pre -American/ European post Indica( Boer or Zulu Wars) African Durban, and the 80’s Durban is the original landrace strain that made the others possible,in my opinion.

3 Likes

@Upstate Thank you for the detailed reply. It helps breakdown strains background and purchasing options, not just for myself but also anyone considering Durban Poison.

I’m pivoting a bit since I was able make a trade this week for some Durban Poison seeds from the 2022 fall co-op box, which I’m going to explore in the coming year. I also have a late take clone reveging from my white label Durban Poison.

:canada: :green_heart:

1 Like