Inbreeding landrace basics

I’m in no way a breeder nor truly wanna be one. However strains I like are a pain to find at times. So I plan to breed my Durban poison with Durban poison. So should I just shove them in one room ? Save pollen an do the bag over a nug ? Any and all tips are welcome. Also I’m picky what I’ll keep in my garden as many are

9 Likes

Do you have seeds or clones of the Durban?

3 Likes

I have reg seeds in mail on way. How ever I have feminized growing at this time of Durban

4 Likes

Cool. Durban is supposed to be a true breeding strain, which means that the seeds from it should be more or less consistent.

You could start a few (or all) or the seeds, pick a male and female you like best and put them together, or just let all the males and females flower together for a larger variety of seeds

4 Likes

I’m just growing for I am my lady with a 12 plant count. So figure the one male one female an just tent would be best ? Say a 8-9 veg ? I wouldn’t say I need more then a few hundred. I was going to have it as a steady 2 of my 12 count.

2 Likes

I think a decently sized female should give a couple hundred seeds or so when pollinated.

3 Likes

You can make all the seeds you will ever need in a tiny tent with very little light. It’s amazing how many seeds you end up with from even a small plant, a large one will produced thousands. I would cross the regulars over themselves in preference to the female you already have which may or may not be exactly the same parentage and could potential be more likely to throw the odd wildcard. Nothing to stop you also pollinating that one as well, though you will rapidly see, it’s easy to end up with more seeds than you can ever use so these days I try and stay focused on particular traits I am trying to get.
I do most of my seeding in a 2X2X1 tent with a 50W strip. I keep them in a small 1 litre low profile pot in 50/50 coco peat /perlite. Just pick the best looking female, one with good solid branching structure, good leaf cover, a good amount of internodal spacing, good root growth, and of course smell, taste, potency, yield and growth time in no particular order.
For the male do the same, pick the one with the best looking branch structure, with the most profuse flowering. If you are really lucky you may find the occasional male that will get frosty, if so, this is also good. Really there is nothign to it and you are on the right track. Just choose seeds from the best phenos.

9 Likes

One of the best highs there is is to store up a mess of seeds.
:hearts:

10 Likes

Thank you. That answer a lot of the guess on that. I don’t know much about male so tips on them very helpful

5 Likes

Did you get your Durbin from sensi seeds, it is supposed to be pure and sourced quite some time ago, most of the other Durbin poisen out there is crossed to a Afghan

3 Likes

I was going to do Dutch passion but I’ll check more into it. Thank you for the tip

1 Like

If at all possible you want to start with at least ten to twelve males and cull eight or nine of them. With three or four males you’ll have plenty of seeds to sort through to find the real diamonds in the rough.

2 Likes

Glad Sensi has them in stock lol few place I checked are sold out. But I love growing marijuana.com is there’s any good for Durban ?

1 Like

Dutch passions is definetly bred to a Afghan, if you research it they say it was done to acclimate it to northern climates

2 Likes

I was just reading around alittle throw different banks

1 Like

This is off there website ,if you look far enough back you can find them identifie te cross as a Afghan

3 Likes

Yeah I was reading into it I’ll be forsure pat more attention to that for sure. Thank you for the tip

1 Like

What about seeds of Africa? If so I was thinking inbred Durban magic. Then inbred Durban from Sensi Seeds not sure about outbreeding just leaving door open

1 Like

There’s more than one fan of Durban P here… notably @Cobra50 etc.

And either @MiG or maybe @Viva_Mexico clarified that when Durban P left Africa it was not a single strain or phenotype, but a regional family so we should expect & appreciate the variation. :slot_machine:

@Sunvalley Have you seen a lot of Durban Poison? …a lot of variety? it’s more local to you than most of us I believe. :blush:

:evergreen_tree: :heart: :earth_africa: :skull_crossbones:

3 Likes

Ok here’s the thing. Durban Poison never existed until it went to Europe. When Sensi seeds released their Durban Poison it had been worked already and cross to an Afghan or some other Indica but more than likely Afghan. People in Europe and the states have a very different opinion on Durban strains then what we do… for the most part it is complete crap and nothing anybody would really consider spending their time growing. You have to understand that South Africa is a very small country and with the distance that pollen can travel just about every single landrace from this country is somehow related and that goes all the way up to Swaziland. Most people that will grow at Durban strain will do it either for practice or as a novelty. In around 94 or 95 I smoked some decent Durban Poison that probably came from Sensi seeds but like I said this Durban Poison was worked. Trying to differentiate between Durban and other KwaZulu-Natal strains will be virtually impossible there are such subtle differences between the other provinces like the transkei /ciskei strains. It’s also recently been documented that rooibaardt translated to Redbeard is a Transkei strain… I had always associated rooibaardt with Swazi land along with the Swazi gold strain… from what I know or have been told is that the rooibaardt was taken from Swaziland to grow in the Transkei… another thing that guys need to take into account is that the Transkei and ciskei was split by a river they are literally that close to each other which makes differentiating between the strains impossible they are the same thing. again we must remember that most of these trains have also now got a European influence in them with the seeds that started coming in over the years. a lot of farmers were given the seeds from Europe to grow ie the old skunks silver Pearl etc etc… a lot of these farmers did not pull out their males and massive cross pollination happened … not given how close all the provinces and neighbouring countries are it will no doubt have had an effect on every single landrace in this country at some point or another. I have gotten a lot of hate over the years for my opinions on this but it’s just the way that it is. I’m not saying that any of these strains are garbage or that they have not fallen back to their original genes to some form over the years but as a whole of all the southern African stuff… Malawi has been the stand out …

16 Likes