Most Disappointing Strains

I have been buying seeds for a long time now. For the most part, I have been very satisfied with my purchases.
I thought I would start a thread to see who among us has also experienced that sinking feeling when we realize that we may have been bamboozled!

The overall worst strain that I have ever grown out was Kalashnikova from Green House.
It was purported to be a cross of
AK-47xWhite Widow.

Having grown out both parent strains many times, I was looking forward to this cross.
Grew out eight girls…only one of which provided even a mediocre, moderate buzz.
THE worst I ever grew!
How anyone could screw up AKxWW is beyond me.

The second worst strain was Afghani Orange by Capricorn Seeds…even this crap was much better than Kalashnikova.

Well, I have grown out only one strain of GHS seeds.
The only reason I tried GHS Kalashnikova was because of a positive write up in High Times Magazine…(I should have known better!)
I purchased 10 fem seeds, started eight of them. They all grew great, plants looked good, robust and easy.
After harvesting the eight girls, disappointment set in big time. Only one of the eight plants could get me high at all.
And even this plant was mediocre at best, in that, the buzz was woefully inferior and the taste was unimpressive.

15 Likes

The worst thing I ever grew were some THC Bomb seeds from someone’s outdoor. I got one female out of 12 seeds, and when it grew out all it produced were tiny popcorn buds. I even cloned it and had a fellow patient grow it out under a 600-watt HPS. He had the same results.

Here is that plant at harvest. Yielded 19 grams dry. Looking at my notes I wrote “boring commercial taste”.

14 Likes

Thanks for sharing @ReikoX

It is very deflating and disheartening after investing time, space and lavish TLC on plants…to be so sorely unimpressed.

Expectations can be brutally dashed.

6 Likes

Ufff, Kalashnikova G.H… Here were presented as a GH gift with the CAÑAMO magazine : like textil hemp with indica structure but none psicoactivity…

4 Likes

Mazar from Dutch Passion was terrible. It yielded well but was extremely weak and about 50% hairs. The color was dark and it smelled of black pepper. Also Bubblicious from Nirvana. Again it yielded well, but had way to many hairs and was like smoking schwag in terms of effects. The only thing it had going for it was a very pleasant taste and smell. Both experiences were so terrible that I will never grow a Dutch Passion or Nirvana freebie, let alone buy a pack of seeds. No point in wasting valuable garden space growing hemp.

6 Likes

Dude!
I’ve wanted to start this thread to talk about that EXACT cross for weeks!
I just tested 5 “Kalashnikova” from GHS too,
Yield was massive, but flavor/smell was meat-stew/garlic/onion, and the medicinal value was only medium. Threw the mother plants outside to flower and “Green House Seeds” are now BANNED in my garden.

12 Likes

Having american breeders like BOG and SubCool and Baudelaire, makes me think twice about buying dutch seeds…

12 Likes

I gave them a 2nd chance because their ‘Super Lemon Haze’ has been my most popular strain for like 6 years, and it’s stability is unbelievable. I can water my SLH with a white headlamp and not get herms.

…and everything good from Europe originated in the USA/Cali anyway.

8 Likes

Todo, todo…no. No olvides México, Colombia, Panamá, Thailandia, Congo, Jamaica, India, Filipinas… Aquí se trabaja también con eso, a parte de las copias feminizadas…

6 Likes

Not only. I know people doin the same here till last years of the 60’s… Timanfaya Devil, Guerrilla’s Gusto, Bangui Haze, Renata, Destroyer, Doble Thai, Doble Jam, Golden Tiger, Guawi, Mextiza… N makin the “mediocre landraces” heirlooms…

6 Likes

Top 44

Never hear of it anymore, which is a good thing, but very popular in the 'dam in the early 90s. It was actually my first Dutch strain, sent to me by “Jock” - one of the first seed dealers to focus on serving the US via mail order. His stealth packaging was literally a work of art, but Top 44 was awful. Potency was medium, but the taste was of lavender soap. I could not smoke it.

Luckily, the other order Jock sent was Shiva Shanti. Lovely sweet hashiness.

I’ve never been a fan of Skunk #1. There’s hay-like grassiness to most of the Dutch versions that just reminds me of Mexi brickweed. Potency is mediocre, especially by today’s standards. It’s a foundational breeding strain in my book, that shines in its hybrids more than the IBL. -b420

10 Likes

supposedly Northern Lights #5 was bred in the Pacific Northwest specifically to be grown indoor under fluorescent lights when people were just starting to grow indoors.

Like a lot of the early strains, NL #5 is under-rated. It’s one of my all-time favorites.

14 Likes

The worst thing i grew? I did get some hemp from tha purps by bc bud depot. But i also got some fruity fire. Probably crop king candy cane autos. But that was my fault.

4 Likes

Top44… I think its from the old Spanish Bank GoodHouse. I think it was copied latter by Nirvana… GoodHouse was the first “Dutch/USA orientated” Spanish Bank, decades before Dinafem, Humboldt Seeds, World of Seeds, Delicious Seeds, Positronics (now) …n hundred more…

1 Like

they call it “auto” cuz it automatically herms at 4 weeks.

17 Likes

I grew some pure kush from greenhouse. It was indo that looked like outdo lol. Couldn’t give it away.

2 Likes

That’s what i got now… Northern Lights! To smoke i mean.

3 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHA That was a good one!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I had the Nirvana release. People raved about it at the time, it was considered a breakthrough quick finishing strain (44 as in bloom period days). I think it was an early Ruderalis hybrid, not quite auto but tough to keep clones in veg. And I think the taste came from the ruderalis as well. RIP.

1 Like

[(Indica X Rudelaris) x Skunk], is sayed in Spain…