MOTR grows with OniTenshu

Okay, so Iā€™m coming back to both apologize for my actions and to make good on my promises. Iā€™ve kept care of the plants regardless. @MomOnTheRun I really do wish I could have found a way to calm down, but I donā€™t want any fake forgiveness or anything. I acted like a child and it doesnā€™t matter what my reasons were. I didnā€™t start the lucky 7s yet as it felt wrong starting them without you at the very least in the know of what Iā€™m doing.

I made a new account, so Iā€™m going to have to wait on my journal entries to resume. You probably wonā€™t recognize them anymore.

8 Likes

Shit happens and we get caught upā€¦

Welcome backā€¦ @MomOnTheRun has been waiting on you so we can see whatā€™s up with this comparison grow

3 Likes

I tried to at least make my time away a reasonable amount of time, but mental health sucks when it gets out of your control. Sometimes the best thing is just to put everything down and have some time to yourself. I did that. I got my appetite back. IDK how to explain it, but my plants almost appear to mimic my issues and once I felt better they also seemed to have recovered and started to grow fast. I canā€™t wait to be able to show you all the progress.

Fair warning though I had to remove the curtain. It was eating too much light. The plants all have more light since, so it wasnā€™t the first plan in the world.

6 Likes

Itā€™s all good.

Our plants definitely reflect our livesā€¦ Leads me to the old saying ā€œa cluttered house is caused by a cluttered mindā€

When you start getting better and more able to focus on your plants and their needs, they respond very well and love the attention

5 Likes

Welcome back Oni! Iā€™m impressed with what you said and Iā€™m glad youā€™re feeling better! We all have our moments, I know I do. Good to know things are back on track. Look forward to seeing the girls!

6 Likes

:heart_eyes: Your Back!!! :heart_eyes:

I am very happy that you had the time to take a deep breath and chose to come back :hugging:

You didnā€™t? Bummer. Thatā€™s ok germination isnā€™t going so well on the Lucky Charms :disappointed: Now that your back, I will change the name of the thread back to what it wasā€¦I have kept moving forward so you have some catching up to do :wink:

Well then iā€™ll take down the tarpā€¦itā€™ll be easier to reach Black X Champagne without it :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Iā€™ll be back tomorrow or tonight depending on plans to start getting everything done again. For now Iā€™m going to stare at the sky and wonder why Iā€™m up so early.

3 Likes

I moved the posts to this thread so we donā€™t clog up the Intro thread as we catch up and discuss logistics :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheneverā€¦gotta take care of yourself 1st! Besides, the basic info is posted with not much thatā€™s happened and since I found some Lucky Charms f3ā€™s, I will start them when they get here late next week or soā€¦not a restart but a continuation as I work with the 4 Lucky 7ā€™s and 3 Lucky Charms that have made it this far :wink:

I slightly changed my copy of the ā€œinstructions/guidelinesā€ to reflect their age and what/when to do and will do the same for you once we have a germination date

6 Likes

Also itā€™s Valentineā€™s day :sweat_smile: gotta take care of my other half too

5 Likes

Oh shit! Your rightā€¦blanked it right out. I think subconsciously I am trying to skip right over it as Sunday, I swore it was a week later than it is and now this lol Thank you for the reminder as my boys would be really disappointed if I completely forgot about ā€œlove dayā€

5 Likes

Welcome back @OniTenshu we can all use a break once in a whileā€¦

8 Likes

When life gets chaotic and overloads you itā€™s best to take a break. As much flack as I get for it I take a year off work when it gets to the point Iā€™ll start butting heads with management. The first time I did that I got bribed by my work to stay another 2 days or a week with a extra $50 a day just to come in while they replaced me. That bridge I burned as that company was shady and I found out for sure last year or so when they sent me the thing in the mail saying that I could Sue for money owed to me, but with the 100k split in about 25k ways I wasnā€™t feeling it and just forgot about the probably $5 I would get at best.

Altogether though I bounced back fast this time. I usually take much longer to calm my head. I was stressed out enough to lose my appetite before and now Iā€™m eating 12x a day again. Finally I donā€™t look like a stick figure lost weight and Iā€™m back to a stick figure drawn with a sharpie. Still happy either way. I can sit on hardwood chairs again and not bruise my tailbone :smiley:

7 Likes

So now that Iā€™m back and have time.

Just a question though :sweat_smile: I see the time table is timed up with the time I started germination on the Platinum Glue auto x Blue Zkitlez photo. Should I start the germ on the lucky 7s already or is there a time Iā€™m waiting to start soaking the seeds?

@ModicumGenes you made some super strong plants with a fast growth and high tolerance to issues in general. If the little one is anything like their older sister theyā€™ll be taking full advantage of the lights provided. So far sheā€™s very light hungry and showing a indica dominant phenotype so far :grin: Nice fat fingers and already pretty dark too.

On that note Iā€™m excited to start the lucky 7sšŸ˜ƒ Itā€™ll be interesting to see the colors they produce. Iā€™m seeing a trend of suntanning on all the plants. Once they get dark like that the growth picks up heavily, so Iā€™m not leaning toward nitrogen burned and instead towards anthocyanins darkening up pigment on any plants that can express them. Once I added the 2 6000k corncobs and the 2 2700k corncobs back in I noticed the overall spectrum has balanced out to a much more even spread and leaning higher on the white side. The plants seem to love it since I added them in. I think itā€™s really just because of the main gaps covered barely RN. Regardless I dig around and found out what diodes the corncobs are using at least

Itā€™s interesting to see itā€™s not completely garbage at least, but regardless Iā€™ll be replacing them once I can get at least 4 more qb120 in there and a rack/rail setup to neatly get the lights in there and in a pattern as far as I can see will be the best possible one with the zmeans included as if a seedling prefers it to the 3000k light above. Theyā€™ll work better as supplemental lights more in the center crossed the long way with QB lights surrounded on all 4 sides of them and a QB at the center. Makes me need 13 QB to get the total amount for the large scale version of the light I want to make. I toyed with the idea of adding in 4 COBs in the build, but Iā€™m not sure of anything I can do to get the heat away from the QBs safely even with a heatsink the heat from the light that close would probably be too hot.

Iā€™m seeing a trend of when Iā€™m staying up late that I get a little loopy. Crazy idea or not itā€™s fascinating to my sooner mind also and Iā€™ve been thinking of the best arrangement of lights if I were to include the zmean lights and use the QB120 lights as the primary light source. That build should be sufficient at every stage.

Anyone is welcome to add input as I just need 2 more HLG 65 kits and a frame to get them all in the tent neatly for my current build to eliminate dark spots entirely and have enough light to properly cover the tent.

3 Likes

Okay change of plans for design. Rough draft for concept, but white is COB, yellow is QB, and pink is zmean

Much less complicated to figure out with 5 COBs and 8 QB120 mixed with the zmean that way, but Iā€™m more than welcome for input on the build. The zmeans are here to stay though as that seedling was stubborn at leaning to the zmean it was 12" close to, but it shouldnā€™t have had much of any light from it at that angle on the floor. That and the growth picked up significantly once they started to shine the color of light the zmeans give off. Not 100% to scale, but approximately the size of each.

Theyā€™re not as intense as the QB are, so the seedling tilting the leaves to the zmean says they have something theyā€™re missing my at least that that seedling wanted badly. Maybe itā€™s just the fact that I have 516w in there RN or itā€™s that the mono LEDs help a lotšŸ˜… IDK.

With that Iā€™ll charge up my phone to get the update ready

3 Likes

Pure coincidence :stuck_out_tongue:

Start them anytimeā€¦we were initially waiting for the Lucky Charms to get here so I can start them all at the same time for easier management though now that germination didnā€™t go so well and have f3ā€™s on the way, it doesnā€™t matter really as they;ll be different ages anyhow :wink:

5 Likes

Iā€™ll start soaking the seeds then. Iā€™ve decided on a name for the seedling finally and itā€™s Midna. Sheā€™s stubborn and a little demented, but sheā€™s also a darker color almost right away vs later on like the rest.

5 Likes

Whelp, no sign of the other 4 Lucky Charms so I dug them up to take a look

1 looks like it wanted to do something then decided not to. Ah well we have 3 to take care of with the F3ā€™s coming late next week. @OrganicGorilla

The clover is doing great getting established so moving to misting them every other day to let the top of the soil dry out a bit forcing their roots to search for water

Brought out the Lucky 7ā€™s in natural light and show their progress thus far,they are all really stretched though thatā€™s what happens when the light is too far away

Both of these are the same age +/- an hour. Notice how the white cup (1/2" seedling soil) is 1 node ahead? This is due to the early root restriction

Taking them out of their pots to check root structure, you can see they have the same amount of roots just the one in 1/2 the seedling soil is using it more effectively branching off sooner

Now all the oneā€™s that were in the white cups are now in 1" pots for the next 2 weeksā€¦filled the bottom half with new seedling soil (moist from being sealed in a plastic baggy) then the roots right on top so they can grow deeper really filling the pot betterā€¦no water was added. I still had to add a support stick to help them stay up for the time beingā€¦sorry no pics as I was doing 4 things at once :stuck_out_tongue:

Once I was done, I put them back in the cabinet on top of a box so they are closer to the light at 16-18" from 34-36"

I should have had them at this closer distance from the get go and normally do to keep them short and conserve energy though wanted to show them trying to support their leaf sets while reaching for the lightā€¦if I had ANY light source closer, they would lean right into it and continue to stretch instead of staying upright focusing on proper root/shoot growth.

Anyhow, this will stop their stretch allowing them to harden so when they go into 3" pots (at 3 wks old), the stem will be able to handle being buried which will make more roots in the upper part of the soil from the stem (like tomato plants) so its really no big deal at this moment :wink:

What to expect this week:
Continued lover growth (above and below soil)
Lucky 7ā€™s adding a new node every 3-4 days

What to do this week:
Spray clover every other day
Continue to lightly mist seedlings daily with plain water
Give 1 Tb plain water on Sunday (tomorrow) and wait to do it again until Thursday

10 Likes

Okay awesome and Iā€™ve put the 5 lucky 7 in the 1" pots and one if my small 3" I believe pots once they sank and stayed sunken. Bigger pot I had in the soil mix of Dianaā€™s soil with the leftover fox farm and happy frog mix I threw clover in eventually. Midna did really well with it and sheā€™s leaning like you mentioned, but Iā€™m seeing large leaf growth at the same time now confusing mešŸ˜…

I scattered them around the tent

4 Likes

Ok so what happens when a seed sprouts, is it sends the 1st root down as it does this, it raises the seed upā€¦sometimes the shell is on (tough seed/ planted shallow) and sometimes its off when we see emergence then the cotyledons break free. When the cotyledons start absorbing light, that 1st root starts making other rootsā€¦these are the feeders then as the plant gets bigger or needs more support, it will send out anchor roots.

We limit the amount of anchor roots by keeping the seedling short, grow out the roots by limiting water making them search for it and only give nutrients when needed to build the amount of feeder roots :wink:

So this cycle continues and is why early root restriction works for faster development with a strong root system to handle the heavier nutrients bigger plants requireā€¦Midnaā€™s 1st root hit the bottom fairly early and has made her secondary roots and is working on establishing her feeder roots showing so with her top growthā€¦by the 2nd set of ā€œtrueā€ leaves the cotyledons have done their job and will shrivel up relying on the roots to take overā€¦they can stay ~a week longer when the soil is nutrient rich when this transition happens. When given ā€œweakerā€ transition soilā€™s along the different stages, it primes the plant to only get what it needs to really work for it instead of having everything available all at once plus they tend to be easier to maintain :wink:

Cool. Just make sure they are within 18" from the qbā€™s when they emerge otherwise they will stretch which costs you root development/structure timeā€¦ no big deal at this stage if/when they do as long as they are going to be potted up to account for the extra trunk development. Later on, weā€™ll get ā€œfurther then averageā€ node distance/spacing if its not corrected early on

9 Likes

Okay cool. Iā€™ll probably put them on a stand or something. Wit the fast roots Iā€™m liable to see them grow into the soil beneath if I used the pots to help out the distance as the lights are about 24" above Zeldaā€™s canopy now as the heat produced the last few days has been ridiculous. I turned my heat off today and opened some windows as it was feeling stuffy in the plant room. All the ventilation in the world wonā€™t help out when itā€™s muggy outside the tent tooā€‹:sweat_smile: it was so hot in there there heat lines visible if I look at my window :joy:

I sprayed all the pots at 1am and now at 7am I found that all pots were dry and leaning on hydrophobic. Seedlings included, so I got out my water bottle and the water I had left out to dechlorinate and got to work. All pots got sprayed until the soil became dark from Chestnut brownish.
The temp was at 86fšŸ˜… I turned the filter on high to help and the fan was pointed directly at the plants again. I added the old orb fan back in the tent also.

It would seem Iā€™m officially at the if I donā€™t properly ventilate the plants will likely die situation as Iā€™m not using co2 and if I am Iā€™m getting the same levels as they are. Iā€™m not noticing any carbon monoxide symptoms and my sensor hasnā€™t freaked out either.

At least despite the heat itā€™s only the soil having a hard time :joy: it legitimately makes me laugh TBH as the plants want more than I can give them and the soil just wants to fight me at every turn :joy:

4 Likes