MOTR grows with OniTenshu

The wasuuuuup picture is just missing a bottle of bud it👍

3 Likes

I am sad to report that here on day 4 setting seed to soil and day 2 since sprout, I lost the snake and Waasuuuup.

Damn pythium! Pythium is one of those opportunistic diseases that is thought to be a fungus taking hold when conditions are too wet for too long causing the sprout to dampen off. Many chalk it up to over watering though we haven’t since insertion and since these are very newly sprouted, its more that the seedling lacked vigor to overcome the tap root uptaking more water than the cotleydons can handle…without storage roots or a stomata to release the pressure, it builds until the new stem clamps itself off allowing whatever fungus present to rot an otherwise seemingly healthy new sprout.

Looking at the rest of the lil pots in this humidity tray, it appears some is simply not drying out as they should/could be with the vents 1/4 of the way open

That’s how it goes sometimes :disappointed_relieved: On the bright side, 1 Lucky Charms (left) and 1 Lucky 7’s (right) is trying to come up

So I removed the dome completely and we’ll continue to use LIFTA.

Now to see if the other 2 Lucky 7’s germinated

Nope and no sign of pythium. Their seedling soil is still pretty wet too so the cover is removed and we’ll use LIFTA until the soil dries out/seeds sprout…i’ll go “hunting” on Wednesday if there is till no action.

I did notice the 3gallon pot is in need of some water other than misting

See how the top of the soil is cracking? That is the signal that it is time to rehydrate with half of the amount it took to originally hydrate the soil. In this case, its 2 1/2 c water…slowly pour it in 1/2c at a time within an inch from the outside (or in the trench if you made one) only.

As the water makes contact with the soil, it will be pulled into the drier parts where its needed

Now it took 11 days to reach this point so other than misting the top of the soil for the clover, the next watering will be in 10 days (February 20th).

What to expect this week:
Clover growth (above and below soil)
Sprouted seedlings working on root development below soil
Continued germination of seeds

To do this week:
Continue spraying clover up to 2 times per day
Lightly mist only the sprouts completely above ground every other day to keep the top inch moist
Let the soil of the unsprouted seeds dry out…we’ll check progress if any, on Wednesday and go from there

10 Likes

Whelp, its a day early (Tuesday) though day 6 since setting seed to soil…

I have 4 of 6 Lucky 7’s and 3 of 10 Lucky Charms…if the 2 hadn’t died, I would have 5 Lucky Charms :weary:
Still nothing from the tomato plants though may need to get new seeds as these are from 2015.

Anyway, time to investigate what is going on now the seedling soil is drier (and less sticky). When I have to do this, I like to use a cheap water color paint brush as the bristles are a little stiff to lightly brush the soil though soft enough to not cause any damage.

These pics are from the DBHP f2 seedlings though better visuals…starting on the outer edge of where inserted the seed, slowly and gently sweep away the soil in a circular motion. If its dry enough the soil will be like dust so its easily moved with light brush strokes

When you think you have found the seed, very gently brush the top away…often it’ll be a chunk of perlite though sometimes its the seed itself so treat every piece like its a fragile seed. When doing this, look for white (tap root), light green (cotyledon peeking) and black/dark brown (seed shell). This is a very slow process…if done too fast or too rough you take the chance of breaking the tap root as we have no idea what the status of the seed is. In DBHP’s case here, we have 1 that got confused and stayed submerged while the other rotted

I misted them for better close ups…

Now to see what the 2 Lucky 7’s are doing using this technique…
See the tiny tap root on the right side of the seed? It also appears to be cracked a bit so I’ll cover this back up and give another 4-5 days

Not a very good picture though this seed hasn’t done a single thing so I’ll cover this back up and set it to the side as it more than likely will rot out from here

4 with a possible 5

How about them Lucky Charms?
The soil is too sticky to really see this one and its too moist to add any water so it gets covered back up and set to the side

This one has a tap root just coming out (sorry its so blurry)…re-covered with soil

This one is opened though again too wet to add any more water to really check so its set to the side after being covered up

This one isn’t even cracked

This one has a tiny tap root emerging

and another uncracked one

The 2 that aren’t showing any progress probably won’t do anything from here though we’ll give them a chance as they may be slow starters and still look pretty good…the slightly opened one probably did so under the soil and rotted out only leaving the seed casing in its place. This leaves 2, possibly 3 to germinate over the next 4-5 days to add to the 3 that are thriving

I really wish the germination went better than it has though it is what it is. I am confident that there are enough Lucky 7’s to get at least 1 female though not so sure on the Lucky Charms sooooo I scoured the net and found a pack of F3’s on Strainly

I will be germinating these when they arrive in ~10 days “just in case” they are needed to continue with the preservation project

8 Likes

My tomatoes took at least 2 weeks in my greenhouse

3 Likes

My petunias have yet to sprout… been about 2 weeks. Have yours?

2 Likes

Tomato’s do take a lot more time and the seeds are so small, I don’t even try to find them though after ~15 days, its pretty safe to say they aren’t going to do anything…9 more days before I give up on them and buy a fresh pack. Chances we take when using older seeds :wink:

2 Likes

They have and just thinned most of them out to 1 per pod a couple days ago

4 Likes

The first thread I’m “watching” … all others that follow will certainly have big shoes to fill! :smiley:

2 Likes

Damn! Well, I do have temperature fluctuations. I’ll be patient. I swear my zinnias sprouted in 1 day though. Hardy fuckers! lol

4 Likes

Okay, so I’m coming back to both apologize for my actions and to make good on my promises. I’ve kept care of the plants regardless. @MomOnTheRun I really do wish I could have found a way to calm down, but I don’t want any fake forgiveness or anything. I acted like a child and it doesn’t matter what my reasons were. I didn’t start the lucky 7s yet as it felt wrong starting them without you at the very least in the know of what I’m doing.

I made a new account, so I’m going to have to wait on my journal entries to resume. You probably won’t recognize them anymore.

8 Likes

Shit happens and we get caught up…

Welcome back… @MomOnTheRun has been waiting on you so we can see what’s up with this comparison grow

3 Likes

I tried to at least make my time away a reasonable amount of time, but mental health sucks when it gets out of your control. Sometimes the best thing is just to put everything down and have some time to yourself. I did that. I got my appetite back. IDK how to explain it, but my plants almost appear to mimic my issues and once I felt better they also seemed to have recovered and started to grow fast. I can’t wait to be able to show you all the progress.

Fair warning though I had to remove the curtain. It was eating too much light. The plants all have more light since, so it wasn’t the first plan in the world.

6 Likes

It’s all good.

Our plants definitely reflect our lives… Leads me to the old saying “a cluttered house is caused by a cluttered mind”

When you start getting better and more able to focus on your plants and their needs, they respond very well and love the attention

5 Likes

Welcome back Oni! I’m impressed with what you said and I’m glad you’re feeling better! We all have our moments, I know I do. Good to know things are back on track. Look forward to seeing the girls!

6 Likes

:heart_eyes: Your Back!!! :heart_eyes:

I am very happy that you had the time to take a deep breath and chose to come back :hugging:

You didn’t? Bummer. That’s ok germination isn’t going so well on the Lucky Charms :disappointed: Now that your back, I will change the name of the thread back to what it was…I have kept moving forward so you have some catching up to do :wink:

Well then i’ll take down the tarp…it’ll be easier to reach Black X Champagne without it :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’ll be back tomorrow or tonight depending on plans to start getting everything done again. For now I’m going to stare at the sky and wonder why I’m up so early.

3 Likes

I moved the posts to this thread so we don’t clog up the Intro thread as we catch up and discuss logistics :stuck_out_tongue:

Whenever…gotta take care of yourself 1st! Besides, the basic info is posted with not much that’s happened and since I found some Lucky Charms f3’s, I will start them when they get here late next week or so…not a restart but a continuation as I work with the 4 Lucky 7’s and 3 Lucky Charms that have made it this far :wink:

I slightly changed my copy of the “instructions/guidelines” to reflect their age and what/when to do and will do the same for you once we have a germination date

6 Likes

Also it’s Valentine’s day :sweat_smile: gotta take care of my other half too

5 Likes

Oh shit! Your right…blanked it right out. I think subconsciously I am trying to skip right over it as Sunday, I swore it was a week later than it is and now this lol Thank you for the reminder as my boys would be really disappointed if I completely forgot about “love day”

5 Likes

Welcome back @OniTenshu we can all use a break once in a while…

8 Likes