MOTR grows with OniTenshu

Room Temp water is considered 68f-72f so imho, that is perfect to water with

Nice! Many have great success with sticking them in water or dirt/peat pellet with a humidity dome

Have fun!

4 Likes

Already having fun :joy:

I’ll look into rockwool for long term, but overall the fact that they didn’t wilt and actually went from slightly drooped to the Y in YMCA says they like it at least.

3 Likes

Its possible to use rock wool with soil though its best used with hydro methods…if you get anything, get peat pellets

3 Likes

Okay I’ll have to remember that. Seedlings look very good today. The soil on the 2 back ones is still dark. The control and the one next to it have pale topsoil already. It’s clear those 2 drink more.

5 Likes

On another note the cuttings I took are doing well still. One has roots already forming on it. I’ll have to get it in something soon once it’s roots properly develop. I don’t have any real plans for it other than letting it grow out of curiosity really.

2 Likes

Here’s tonight’s pics of the seedlings. Growth is keeping steady

3 Likes

They are looking great and should start to grow rapidly now putting on a new node every 3-4 days :wink:

3 Likes

Awesome :blush:

Also I can’t explain it, but soil in the tent behaves better now too. Especially after they got a compost amended topsoil watered in. My other plants I mean. Each one of the seedlings is drinking the topsoil pale one at a time, but otherwise they also retain water longer too.

2 Likes

I’m thinking about transplanting Tulip from a 3 gallon to a 7 gallon pot. Do you think she’ll like it or would it not matter in the end?

2 Likes

Oh she’ll like it after healing from the root prune taking her out of the 3 gallon though going that much bigger I would veg for another 4 wks to utilize the extra soil…we are just waiting for the Lucky’s to reach their 6th node and will help them along by:

Transplanting all 4 into the 3 gallon pot (1 on each side) on Sunday (I am doing this tomorrow)
Next Wednesday lst them towards each others top to end making a circle so lower growth has a chance to grow
1 wk later, flip the lights…clip the males and optionally clone the females as they show

That’s 2 wks right there so I see no problem with transplanting Tulip as this is enough time for her to try on her new digs before flowering…I would also lst ~4-5 days after transplant to open her up and let that lower growth come up :wink:

3 Likes

Ok cool. I just woke up, so it’ll be a little bit before I can get on that. I would up crashing right before lights on.

Worst case scenario I’m waiting for a few hours for help to get here.

I just want to make sure I read correctly and check if you said to put all 4 in the 3 gallon pot? If so it’s something that crossed my mind, but I wasn’t sure about.

As for the 3 gallon pot what’s the plan for the clover? I could just move it aside and fit the Lucky’s in or till it all and just dig a hole.

1 Like

No rush…get your bearings :wink:

Yup. Normally we would flip to sex then transplant at least 1 if not 2 confirmed girls though they are so little (sacrificing top growth for root growth) it won’t matter as much plus chances are 2-3 will be cut down during stretch anyhow. We’ll use this to our advantage to help feed the remaining plant(s) with the humic/fulvic acids being released during the roots breakdown of the ones cut down

The clover will be pretty much destroyed though we’ll use the clumps to set on top of the soil instead of tilling in…give them a chance to try to re-root though if they don’t, no big deal as by the time it breaks down, we’ll have the leaves from the males to set on top so it can add more humic/fulvic acids to the soil :wink:

3 Likes

I thought I wasn’t supposed to mulch the trimmed leaves in the same pot.

Speaking of the 3 gallon pot I noticed the clover growing a few long stalks. For whatever reason a few grew upside-down. I saw this happen in another pot and I pulled it to see what was happening. When I pulled it a set of leaves came out and I find out I had pulled by the root. It’s green like the rest of the plants are, so it’s not completely obvious outside of the leaf free stems with healthy growth otherwise.

Can you please explain what that is to me if you know?

Either way though I’m excited to see them grow with all that extra room.

2 Likes

I don’t know where you got that from though I choose to copy Mother Nature to replenish the nutrients taken out of the soil. Also, you’ll have more water retention while protecting the soil from baking and keeping the roots cooler :wink:

My best guess is it was shallowly rooted, probably pushed down by the better rooted ones so then when it was watered it got knocked down and uprooted

Yup! Just hold off on the Lucky’s until Sunday so its a 2 full weeks in their current pots

3 Likes

Okay. I’ve been slowly rehydrating the soil for Tulip. About a cup at a time until it’s dark working through any chunks and repeat until finished. About done. It’s almost dark in color now

2 Likes

Finished. I have some pics to share. I don’t know what I’m looking at. I gave her water yesterday and the day before. 48oz in total. 24oz both days.

Otherwise the seedlings are doing very well.

2 Likes

Your seeing your evaporation points…
its maintaining moisture at the top due to the clover shading the soil
its losing moisture in the middle (bringing air in) due to the concentration of roots drinking and evaporation
its maintaining moisture at the bottom as gravity pulls the water down and can’t evaporate being on the floor

Here is a DBHP boy in a 3 gallon smart pot using the blumat system to water for me

Same boy getting a repot into some fresh soil then stuck back into the same 3 gallon pot…using the flash, we see clear area’s that appears fairly dry

As you see I have a fair amount of perlite to prevent compaction while soaking up some of the excess water so its not all evaporated off. Broke up the bottom to check the root system…

Without flash

With flash

Now we see area’s that are too wet from the blumat being turned up too high (no evaporation) with less white roots in this area, just the right moisture towards the middle as the soil pulled it in with thicker white roots in this area and seemingly on the dry side where the blumat wasn’t able to keep the soil water logged though with a fair amount of perlite to retain some of the water there was no root loss due to air pruning. In fact, as you see it promoted the roots to cluster in that area.

Here is the same boy 6 wks later, in the same pot given 4c water every 3-4 days for a month

This is the beauty of fabric pots… as the soil evaporates, it allows air to get to the root system while the perlite retains enough moisture to promote growth until the next watering day. Once the root system gets so big and is needing more water, the air prunes the roots in the seemingly drier area’s of the soil promoting roots from the root ball to take their place for continued, steady growth in a smaller pot.

Tulips soil is more dense so less air is getting to the roots on the top and bottom with some of the roots browning in these area’s unable to breathe…without the evaporation in the middle next to the fabric (where your main root ball is), she would have rotted out unable to bring in needed oxygen. With or without flash, if this area was truly dry, we would see less white roots clustered in this area as they brown and die off not more :wink:

8 Likes

You are just a wealth of good usable knowledge MOTR. Learning stuff from you everyday. Thank you.

6 Likes

So today I transplanted all 4 Lucky Sevens into the prepped 3 gallon pot and all 3 of the Lucky Charms into another 3 gallon pot using some soil from DBHP…same mix, made around the same time just no clover…

Lucky 7’s

Took off the larger fan leaves

Positioned them on top of the 3 gallon pot

Having the pots as place markers dug a hole, set the clover I ripped out to the side and transplanted 1 plant at a time

All set into place

Tied them back down away from each other, set the clover on top to do its thing then put them into their night cycle

After their night cycle

Lucky Charms

Did the same thing just with 3 plants

All set in place and tied back down

After their dark period

Now i’ll LIFTA and watch for growth to resume then i’ll adjust their tethers so more lower growth is exposed so I can take the middle shoots for clones. Speaking of, the tops I took 8 days ago are well on their way developing roots with some looking better than others

I may be successful with most of them this time around ((((fingers crossed))))

5 Likes

Awesome :blush:

I have a question though. Do you think the control will last another day or will I have to put them on a day earlier than the rest for water? It’s already severely drooped again.

4 Likes