MOTR grows with OniTenshu

I scrolled up to check. They’re sprayed down.

Humidity has climbed up a lot today.

Right after spraying them the humidity went up to 61%

I’ll be gone until tomorrow night or afternoon. I’m just here until my phone is charged and I’m heading out right after.

2 Likes

It’s looking a lot better for them today. Humidity is above 30% with the lights on now.

They’re angled up off the soil now. It seems they enjoyed the lower temperature and higher humidity I’m providing now. While I was out of town turned my heat down to 64. It’s 66 in my house despite that now. I need to get them used to normal temperature now that the winter is over and spring has officially properly started. I’m hoping they’ll like the adjustment as I can’t keep the heat on any more really. When it was so cold the insulation in my floors failed I had to turn it on. The air outside just leaks in through the floors and isn’t really stopped by anything on it’s way up, so if a garage door is open the temperature drops 5-10° for 5 hours before it climbs back up again. TBH it’s why I considered putting a comforter under the tent. Not inside, but under the tent on my floor to add some level of insulation below the tent floor.

2 Likes

They should adjust just fine now they are older…they may just grow a bit slower is all and that’s ok. The 2 on the left (yellowing bottom leaves) look like their tops can be pulled down again for better light penetration to the lower nodes - the other 2 look just about right

2 Likes

Awesome! :smiley: Soon it’ll be time to enjoy watching them finish :heart: I can’t wait!

4 Likes

I gave them their water. I pulled down the 2 with the fading leaves more to give them more light.

Other than that humidity has been climbing at a steady pace finally. It’s trying to reach 50% now.

2 Likes

Humidity is climbing faster than I can get used to it finally!:smiley: It’s 45% now even with the tent door open.
With all the other plants moved around the tent has been steadily climbing up in humidity. Temperature seems more stable on the hygrometers too. I finally see a 10° window in the meter and the plants are responding well to it of course.

I’m keeping a habit of keeping the clover in the other pots around the tent alive as I can’t trust my other soil to behave yet. It’ll take time and observation to see what happens. Also I’d like to keep the soil microbiology alive as even if I don’t plan on growing weed in that soil again for a long time I’ll be growing my veggies in it as I found I prefer to grow my own instead of buying subpar quality glorified water filled garbage that tastes like nothing. I’ll still eat it if offered or I have to go shopping, but in the future I’m planning on making a large veggie garden for my nutritional needs. I may as well use what I’m learning to help feed myself too. Spending my whole check on food isn’t an option anymore. I have other things that money needs to go to. Also I’m applying at a local place that just opened up a position I got an application for. Finally someplace that actually doesn’t use an online application form!:smiley: Wish me luck as the manager is always stoned AF. Not sure how that will work out for me​:sweat_smile: I’ve discussed cannabis with him so many times I can’t exactly hide the fact I’m a stoner.

3 Likes

What’s the homework for the next week?

1 Like

Great news! In the 2nd-3rd week of flower you’ll want to decrease the humidity by turning the fan up again risking the carbon scrubber not doing its job properly or could raise the temp as hotter air holds more water vapor making the rh drop though we’ll worry about all that when we get there as a lot can change between now and then :wink:

I’ll add that to the plan for when we get to the bigger pot. Right now, play with growing your veggies outside to take advantage of the free sunlight and see what responds…it’ll be a little different inside though not much

((fingers crossed)) for you…sounds like a great opportunity

Today: 4c (32oz) plain water if you have not done it yet
Wednesday: flip the light to 12 hrs on
Thursday: Drench…1/2 tsp Grow #1 per 2c water
Friday: Foliar…1/2 tsp transition per 2c water
Saturday: retie the tops down to expose the lower nodes again
Sunday: Drench…4c (32oz) plain water

i’ll update my plants a bit later as I am taking clones and re-orientating the girls left in the pot

2 Likes

That was my goal actually to use the bin from my first grow to be my back porch planter. It drains nicely and it’s surprisingly close to clay loam feel. I’ll be putting anything I have that works together well in that bin.

On a slight off topic subject I found out fruit flies are only attracted to ethanol when they have a parasite like a parasitic wasp most commonly. After finding that out the behavior of those flying assholes makes more sense now. They love alcohol and fly like they’re drunk always :joy: I can’t open evaporate anything or they swarm it. That population refuses to die off. Each time they nearly go away they have the one that comes from outside to restart everything all over again :expressionless:
Good thing they’re not in the tent. I’m getting basil planted in every window of my house. They don’t like to be near it and I’ll use it as a barrier if I can.

I watered them at about 420 LoL :rofl: I only just now realized that from my timestamps on my pictures and knowing how long I take to get a photo taken after watering on average

I didn’t get to add the pics from noon before I left until tomorrow night. I’ll add them now.

1 Like

Yup! Leave a sip of wine in a glass and see how they swarm it…vinegar water too

They will though you have to be vigilant with cleaning up and trapping them. A nice trap is taking 1tb vinegar and put it into an 8oz glass with 4-6oz water and a drop of dishsoap. Cover this up with a piece if saran wrap then poke a few holes in the top of it with a fork…put them every 5’ in the room and refresh it every 3-4 days. Works like a charm

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

As for my update, its a long one going over how I clone and reposition the girls after removing the boys…

Gather materials: Peat pellet or 1” pot, used soil, seedling mix (3 parts sunshine mix, 2 parts ewc , 1 part vermiculite and 1/8 tsp kelp meal per cups), Cold water and clonex or honey

I am using 1” pots so here is used soil, seedling soil and clonex. If I have willow/cottonwood resin I’ll use 1/2tsp per 4c water to moisten the soils (or pellet) otherwise plain (baby bottle) warm water is fine.

The pots get ½ way filled with used soil packing it in

Then fill in the rest with the seedling mix

Now I’ll take a look at the plant to find nice sized cuttings which is usually the top and middle branches

Check the gender to sort and assign numbers, letters, colors etc to know which is which. In this case one of the 2 girls I assigned girl A

I took 2 cuttings out of the middle and the taller branch on the bottom giving me 3 cuttings. 3 branches are left to form cola’s as flowering progresses

I immediately put the cuttings into cold water to shock them…sometimes I’ll do a small trim on the end while its underwater as some claim this helps prevent air bubbles in the stem though this doesn’t apply when there is plenty of sap flowing through the stem which is why young cuttings are best so most times I don’t and really don’t see a difference either way

After ~3-5minutes, I will remove one at a time to strip the leaves from the bottom pulling at the new growth and leaf at the same time. It should pull a ribbon of the stem with it like this

This exposes the cambium….its main job is to thicken the stem and encourage growth of new stems and/or roots so I like to take advantage of it

If I do not get a ribbon then I will lightly scratch the stem to expose this on one side. Either way, the wound must be sealed off with clonex or honey then the remainder of the leaves and nodes is pinched off except for the top 2. If I am cloning close together, I’ll take it 1 step further by trimming off ~1/2 of the bigger leaf to reduce transpiration and mold developing

Then inserted into the center of the pot’s ensuring good contact is made by patting the soil down around it. Make sure to label everything before moving onto the next plant

I do the same thing with the boys except I’ll remove the whole plant by cutting it out at the base leaving the roots and take the top 2 and middle nodes.

Leaving the 2 remaining Lucky 7’s girls in the pot

Having all of this newfound room, I spread the branches out again so the new lower growth can grow up during the flowering stretch which starts shortly after sex is formed

24 hrs later

I received 1 Lucky Charms girl which looks small in the pot all to herself hugging one side

That’s ok she too, gets repositioned in the pot

See how the leaves are covering the middle shading the lowest growth on the branches? They get removed as well as, any growth that is near the soil so all of the plants energy will go into these remaining nodes without the plant having to do back flips to angle growth toward the light again

Now I have 2 trays of cuttings…3 per plant – always take more cuttings than you think you need…I’ll need more cuttings of the girls though that will come in time as they veg while their donors flower over the next 8-10wks

The next step is to lock in humidity so I insert them into a tray

Spray the inside of the lid with plain water and cap them off leaving the vents closed and placed under a QB ~3’ above them, if using flouro its 8-12” above or in the shadow of a bigger plant in veg so they get some light to promote growth and return to veg though far enough away that they are stalled a bit until the roots are set

Now if you don’t have one of these nice trays or are not taking very many cuttings, you can use a clear pot, clear cup, sterilite container turned upside down etc.

Only the inside of the lid gets sprayed 1-2 times a day leaving the remaining leaves dry. After a week, the vents are opened (or lid is raised a little on 1 side to release some of the moisture. At this point, every 2-3 days I’ll give 1Tb water to the soil or pellet (or add 1/2c water to the bottom tray to moisten the soil from the bottom….remove any water after 30 minutes) so it stays moist and continue to mist the lid. If any dampen off (soft stem), they are removed so mold doesn’t set in and spread to the other cuttings.

When I use these type of pots, I wait until day 21 from cutting before potting up to a 3” or if using pellets, I’ll remove the mesh once I see a root poking out then put them in a 3” pot when I see a cluster of roots which is usually ~10-15 days from cutting though can take 21 days if its stubborn to clone or heat and humidity is out of range…other than this, its lots of LIFTA. Less is definitely more with this technique :wink:

7 Likes

I’ll have to read that post multiple times to absorb that info, but either way thank you for the breakdown!:smiley:

I had a feeling that the exposed stem on the cutting that rooted the next day and became the only survivor after I got too busy to be home enough to take proper care of them was probably the only one I had cloned right in my own odd way.

As for cloning at it’s most basic I have no idea how my mom does it, but she just uses any container like a tuna can, old jar, a cup, or even a small bowl and water only. No rooting hormones or additives at all. She just cuts the stem and drops it in water.

She uses something like the Kratky method and dwc. No extra air. No pumps. No fertilizer or plant food. No air gap between the roots and water either. At best she lifts them out of the container daily to give the roots air and refill the water straight from the tap.

I thought I’d mention it as I have no clue how she does it. I’ve asked her and she just adds water to the windowsill plants. They do form algae on the roots, but none of them look sick or unhappy, so I’d wager a guess and say maybe the algae is feeding them a little bit.

Apparently she’s clueless why it works too. She used to kill every plant she touched before she started growing succulents. Now she’s just growing tropical plants in the ice cold window and keeping them Happy somehow. If it’s not obvious I’m confused :sweat_smile:

I can’t use Willow at all in any context sadly as I’m heavily allergic. Hives, trouble breathing, itchy watery eyes I can’t see through, violent sinus purging, sneezing, and shortness of breath/wheezing when I’m just near a Willow up close in bloom. I’m about 2 miles from the willows right now, but I’m also downwind, so I still feel it.

I’ll have to check my records, but last I checked I don’t have a cottonwood allergy. Finally a tree I’m not allergic to :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

i swear @MomOnTheRun i was almost about to write that word for word on the cloning on my update i took 12 clones same way with the a and bs

4 Likes

That works really well with some cannabis strains, most vegetables and some flowering annuals while others need a bit more steady environment with high rh to clone well…periodically I’ll try in my kitchen as it gets a lot of indirect light though have yet to be successful with anything there except sprouting avocado and lettuce

Succulents are nice and easy plants to grow and propagate. Take for an example, Christmas/Easter Cactus…it prefers cooler temps ~65-70F, thrives in indirect light, doesn’t mind soil going completely dry, needs a month of cold weather (fridge, basement etc) to flower and each segment can grow roots…pull off a couple segments and place each in soil like a tombstone, give some extra humidity and within 3 wks will have a plant per segment.

That sucks. Really and truly it helps with the rooting process to go a bit faster though not required. I don’t have any willow near me though I have lots of cottonwood and works just as well being in the same family and having much of the same properties…cottonwood resin is dubbed “Balm of Gilead” for its pain relieving effects in topicals :wink:

3 Likes

Nice! Isn’t it a great technique? I love it because it allows me to set it and forget it for a bit and buys some time to rearrange plants to fit them where I want them to go :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Looking like the cutting did not like the dome free life yet, so I put it back on it. It was completely underwatered looking. It does appear that the clover was acting like a Support to keep it from falling over as one was completely grown sideways and it was one of the thicker stemmed large clovers too doing this.

Either way humidity is back to below 30% again. It’s 26% now.

I only have 1 picture as I didn’t get to the tent until just after lights off.

3 Likes

I have new pictures for today. The cutting just needs to be hardened off it seems. After the dome it bounced back well.

33% average humidity now, but in a little bit it’ll be too leafy in there to keep it low enough :sweat_smile:

I can’t wait to see them after tomorrow night when they start 12/12😃

4 Likes

Typical for Spring…fall too :wink:

Its exciting though still will be a bit as they show sex ~7-10 days after light flip then they’ll start stretching. In the meantime, just keep pulling the tops down every once in awhile so the lower nodes receive enough light to become part of your canopy…you could also spread the leaves away from each other once a day to ensure light exposure

2 Likes

Some individual shots for each of them right before lights out.

2 Likes

They’re growing close together, so I’ll have to work on figuring out how to train them apart more.

In preparation for later I’ve already switched the timer to 12/12 now that they’ve passed 7am and are in the last 7 hours of lights on.

6 Likes