MOTR Does Micro

Hello everyone! I have been interested in micro growing for awhile now and experimented a little with a bonsai method and growing in smaller pots over the last year under a couple fluorescent tubes with some luck. Soooooo scouring the net, for tips, tricks and techniques, I ran into Mr Sparkles micro thread and became enamored…watching for the last year has been fascinating so armed with my notes, I am giving it a go!

Light: a single 60w HLG Quantum Board 120
Medium: Mother Earth Groundswell
Nutes: Mega Crop
Strain: CBD Lamb of God: Moshiac (ACDC x Harle Tsu) x Big Farmasoothical (9# Hammer x Shark Shock CBD) regulars I picked up from a Seeds for Deeds Auction

The Environment

The Plan
I am going to top them to the 2nd node for clones at 2.5 wks, flip at 3 wks then while stretching shave their legs and super crop if they get real tall. Once they show sex, I am going to remove all but the best looking male and female to let them get it on…once the deed is done, i’ll destroy the male and put the female in one of the flowering cabinets (they all will be by then) then move in the best looking girl clone to do Sodium Thiosulfate Solution (STS) to turn her for female seeds or instead of feminizing, I could bring in the next set of regular seeds to give my winter grow a head start…not sure yet.

If this doesn’t work, it’ll make a great seed starting/sexing/clone cabinet

The plants are currently 9 days old

Let the journal begin! I take pictures daily and comment if I see something that needs to be pointed out… Feel free to give pointers, something I have missed etc and enjoy!

42 Likes

Front row! Ready for the show!

3 Likes

Sweet build out.

Wishin’ you luck in your grow.

5 Likes

Oh, I really do like the little fun grows, this one is going on my watch list. :popcorn:

Can I ask if the CBD strains are for medical use and is it effective?

5 Likes

Thank you! Can you tell I am going through a bright green phase? lol

I forgot to give dimensions of the box… 2 ‘x 1.5’ x 2’

I like to grow a variety of strains for myself and for my daughter. I have a pretty rare connective tissue disorder where tumors like to grow…my hands, left foot and lower spine are most affected and my daughter has BPD so we microdose…we also like pretty strong sativa’s during the day and sometimes they are too strong so smoking or eating a cbd strain helps tone down the affects. The CBD strains are also great on their own in the mid afternoon.

CBD Critical Mass is our go to strain though have been looking at others to see if the thc:cbd ratio is better for us…I have high hopes for this one!

13 Likes

@MomOnTheRun Also you need to start the STS early if you want good seed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At the moment I am running a light comparative to figure out which light (CMH or QB120) is going to replace my “ancient” 400w hid…

These girls all came from the same mother plant so I can judge how they respond as they grow. They are in veg with a couple auto’s at the moment though getting ready to send to flower in the next week or 2. I have also started a micro grow to see if I can do it after watching Mr Sparkle for awhile now…

Anyway, Hi :wave:

22 Likes

Welcome @MomOnTheRun even if your were a lurker before :wink: , also check out some solstrips for a new lights, Baudelaire is here on the forums but his lights imo are the best bang for the buck for the diy led route i wouldn’t even contemplate a CMH for replacement of a 400w hpw as leds are worth it now, unless you have a limited budget to work with.

Obviously you know where im at, but feel free to ask any questions and lets see a journal thrown up.

Welcome

10 Likes

I have :stuck_out_tongue: They seem to be the same tech as my quantum board 120’s just in strip form…now hlg has moved on. The boards are amazing…flowered a Laughing Buddha over the winter with 4 of them for 240w in a 3x3x8 cabinet- she grew into a 4’ tree with nice fat dense cola’s. Blue cheese did equally as well with 3 of them for 180w in a 2x3x4 cabinet…filled the whole thing lol

I do have a limited budget though I can buy drivers or a cmh conversion kit one month then the lamp or boards the next month. If I do quantum boards in the 3x3x8 cabinet (have 2 of them) then I would like to do 6 for 360w this time around though the diy is only available in 4 packs now so the cmh is looking the way to go though by the time I am ready to gear up, there will probably be something new to try lol

3 Likes

Subbed for this @MomOnTheRun. Loving your diy by the way.

4 Likes

Watt for watt, the LEDs will blow away the 315 CMH. Love me some micro grows. :movie_camera: :popcorn:

8 Likes

Yup, I have had ~8 practice clones and found the best for me is to spray 5days before flip then 2 more treatments 5-7 days apart…not a whole lot of pollen but enough to seed several nearby plants :stuck_out_tongue: I kept 2 to estimate a seed maturity timeline…1 took 6 wks and another took 7wks. I didn’t keep any of them as I lost track of what was what. Now to put all of my preparation experiments together and see what I can pull off though for this 1st round i’ll probably keep it simple and wait to do STS for another time though most of what I do is on a whim lol :wink:

Thank you!

Your probably right though I really don’t know since this is my 1st time with CMH…I am loving how the plants are responding to it in veg though

Man o’ man, this forum is set up a lot different than I am used to…I like it though its gonna take some time to get used to lol

9 Likes

See you made a thread and joe bumped me over lol.

Adding to the watch list :wink:

As for the micro space get a circulation fan or two in there, as it will help with avoiding deadspots and aid in transpirations, looks like a great start btw

4 Likes

They work well, no doubt. They are cooler than standard MH. In my experience, the bulbs loose efficiency fast. Maybe a couple of cycles before I noticed yield losses.

4 Likes

Wow! Nice work! Subscribed.

2 Likes

Lol!

Yeah, I just have to figure out what’ll work best in there. I have a 6" clip fan, a small tower fan and a 80mm computer fan to try out…which would you recommend in trying 1st?

Yeah, replacing lamps is a drawback for sure though a step up from hps :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you!

4 Likes

Alright, I put the small tower fan in just because it was the closest lol I also spread them out and numbered them now they are almost out of the seedling phase…its also plain watering day so they are a bit droopy

Day 10

They would appreciate more humidity than the 35% its currently sitting at but that’ll have to wait until I can get a cool mist humidifier…have a couple warm mist ones though don’t need the heat to rise in such a small box…well smaller than I am used to growing in lol

8 Likes

once they get bigger they will produce there own humidity, but can be short term fixed with basic solutions, aka water in the tray to evaporate.

as for the fans tower works fine for now but id try out the clip on fan for ease , i consistently use smaller pc fans for circulation myself

4 Likes

True. I am just being lazy lol Humidity is up to 44% since its been raining outside and I am ok with that :wink:

I was thinking about that last night and like the idea of having more floor space unlike my bigger cabinets though the pedestal fans do help me gauge when I need to flip lol Now that the tower fan has been in there for a day, i’ll give the clip fan a go and see if it’ll be gentler than the tower fan…its a work in progress :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Day 11

12 Likes