Movable walls - a grow room able to grow. A good idea?

high @all,

Lately I was thinking about a grow room who is able to grow with my needs. So I could start small, like 3ft x 3ft in order to make my first experiences.

If everything works fine, I can expand my grow room… cool or not so cool ?

For this project I will use my bedroom… The white rectangle down in the center of the pict is the corner of the room.

From there to the left I ll have 350 cm (11,48 ft) To the right I could expand max. 250 cm (8.2 ft)

Have no idea if this garden will ever get this big. Limiting factor is power consumption. I don t like to use more then 1000 to 1200 W.

But with some good quality (custom made) LED s I think I can go quite far, like 5m2 (app.7ft x 8ft) ? ? ?

I have no idea if this is a realistic assumption. I hope you guys will tell me…

I would put a reflecting cover on the walls and the ceiling (if necessary). Then I m planning to make some movable walls. Covered with reflecting material as well.
The first pair would be 3 to 4 ft large and have the height of the room. Would it matter if this cabin wont be airtight ?

This system would allow me to buy good gear witch could grow with the room. Btw. in front of the white covered picture hangs a 400 W MH grow light I bought second hand last year. The bulb is having a milky shade on it & I m not sure if it s any good. I will upload a pict of the bulb and ask the question in a separate topic.

On one side of the room, behind the jacket hanging on the right side of the pict, there are two nice cupboards !

80 cm large, 80 cm deep and 210 cm height. About 2.5ft x 2.5ft x 7 ft. A nice place for clones and a mother plant :relieved:

Now I m really curious what you guys are thinking about my project !

love, peace and good vibes from the swiss guy :helmet_with_cross:

:om_symbol:

8 Likes

What equipment do you have to hand. If you start by telling us the kit you’ve got. You’re probably best looking at your first run as a cheap test run to get environment etc dialled in. After seeing your other post of the 400w MH you have if it was me doing it. I would run 2 plants under that In a 2x4ft space. If you got some spare cash then may be worth going a little bigger. Would you rather not section into 2 spaces. A lower power/slightly smaller veg area and then a larger bloom space. Doing that you’ve already shortened your next run by a month or so before you started your first.

2 Likes

There’s been a few growers I’ve seen so this in a very cool way

Basically grow vertical, and light move
Up and down vertically, no hoods no reflectors… and on a small scale u could basically just run trellises along the wall as needed.

I tried it in a 4x4 tent once

I would think (if it’s possible) just hang a
315 watt CMH verically… and run like 3 plants running up each wall and the trellis

works well
If your bored n just want something to fixate on and hone ur craft it’d be a fun way to go about while maximizing yields :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

except for this 400 W MH lamp, I have no gear at all. I saved some cash, about sFr 1500.–, around 2000 CND, wich I want to spend on an indoor garden…

I don t know if I should buy an all-in-one offer from a grow shop. I rather put together my own choosen appliances…

Like, I m thinking about buying some SP250 from MARS Hydro LED.

Checking out some SunLight Q4W - 150 W as well. Looking for a modular system able to grow with my needs…

Oh, and yes. I m planning two sections :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Buy your own chosen quality equipment : )
Like s&p soler palau in-line fan , mountain air carbon filter and a quality fan controller : )

2 Likes

…hmmmm… very interesting idea ! I will certainly think about it…

How did it work out for you in this 4x4 tent ?

Don’t feed their crappy ego. They barely answer customers questions. Depending on electric prices there why not start with old reliable HPS? Cheapest option and it gets results but if u kill the plants and get 0… it’s a costly mistake.

Bingo ! strait to the point !

English is not my mother tongue and sometimes I have a hard time to express exactly what I want to say :slight_smile:

1 Like

s&p / Soler Palau in-line fans are extremely reliable and can be bought on eBay second hand /used at a cheaper price if money is a problem
Buy quality , buy once , save you money in the long run : )

What are you planning to use for these temp walls?

1 Like

One man one seed one light thats a start.

I would not put too much faith in the used bulb. It will grow something if it turns on but you want fresh bulb if the budget doesnt cut it out. If it works for now on to the next issue. Walls. Do not need airtight but does need to be light proof. You will need a constant air extraction to exchange your air / replenish co2 for the plant. Ive found adding co2is a waste of money.and requires sealed room and all kinds of extra bs for no reasonable gain. Big extraction fan
walls sucking in n that co2 is replaced every few seconds with fresh air.
So on the list
Big inline fan. 8" if you can. Better to overkill n cut it back than have something not moving the air. Filter is reccomended but not always needed. Depends on your sitiation. How close neighbors are n all. Putting that filter on directly effects the lifespan of the fan. It also cuts about 30% of your cfm out. So overdo the fan size youll need fans inside to move air around n give plants a breeze. Flooring. Waterproof drip trays ect.
Think it out now. Boot trays under buckets at worse. Elevate a breathable drainable table you can slide trays under. I used hd storage shelfs from home depot. Set em up on blocks There’s a lot of little things. What’s normal temp n rh there? Thatll be changing. N you got to be able to stabilize it within specs.
In the long run led would be cheaper n more efficient to run but make sure you got it in budget. Tgeres also always the 7 head screw in led. With 150w led aBulbs tgey are a real cheap super bright alternative. Im in usa so i really dont have a clue what all is available there.

2 Likes

with movable walls I can vary the size of my grow room individually. let s say I start with two walls. One is 6 ft large, the other one 3 ft. This makes me a grow room 6x3 and so on…

Does this answer your question ?

3 Likes

I do like the movable wall idea, I cannot wait to see how you do it

all the best

Dequilo

1 Like

just found this this morning :slight_smile: i m not so sure if CO2 is really “a waste of time”… the rest of your posting I ll answer after a stroll and a J in the evening sun…

In my early days I used the cheapo painter tarps, and conduit pipe and fittings to make my way to large of an area smaller.
I was growing in NGB stealth boxes, and I went dumpster diving at an industrial site where big electric motors for a printing press was being installed at.
I tore all the boxes apart and rebuilt them to fashion my first NGB box, that I powered with 150 HPS ballast and bulb from a torn apart security light from a local DYI store.
I ran a few cycles, then went to running hydro a few cycles.
Once I grew out of the boxes, I wanted a bigger hydro area, and used paint tarps to make it smaller, like a hanging curtain,then slide it out of the way as the plants got bigger.
I used them for a few years and got the bug and rebuilt again.
Myself now in today’s world, as I get a new person who wants to learn the hobby, I take them to the shop, to show them whats available, then with their budget, we sit down and look at at options, the utilities available, on where, what equipment, what to set up, how to use it, with the end idea, of running a perpetual cycle.
I can show them super cheapo ways to get bud or our local shop offers a kit it you will, with a stunning small Gorilla tent, 2’x2.5’ 5’to6’ tall, with a HGL LED that will veg or flower, a extractor fan, and a clip on small fan for internal circulation, set up at the grow shop all for $400.00.
Add some nutrients, a filter, some consumables, and bam your in the game, for $500.00-$700.00.
I’ve set up maybe a half a dozen so far, and each one is putting away in dried packed away buds, in the 2-4 ounces per cycle and of course strain.
I got miles of pictures but I got a nasty gram for posting in a thread early on, so only if the OP states openly about adding pics to their thread.

2 Likes

I know the feeling

peace my friend

Dequilo

I was just being creative dude
umm…

well if u think about it in sq/Ft of Canopy

4x4 feet (standard setup)

Or

(4x4x7) x 4 (4 walls)

it worked out really well

All u gotta do is google vertical/colosseum grows

you could even then just use chicken wire, and make a round barrel shape and train up from there

And use a much more temporary type wall device until u have more loot.

But over all…

my main advice is don’t try n save money up front, and get like smaller wattage gear.l, ornamsmaller space and go slightly larger etc…

That’s just a waste of time and they u end up with a 400 watt bulb n shit…
but a dimmable 1000w
but a nice 4x4 Tent…
Try and slump as little as possible

I’ve set up at least 100-200 new growers man

That’s solid ass advice on the last front

1 Like

I think I ll use some styropor plates. Reinforced with a layer of mylar on one side and some small wooden frame on the other… This is to feed your curiosity for the time being :wink:

Im asking what material your using for tge walls. Panels, cheap plywood painted, frame with 6 mil sheet plastic walls etc?

On this i did yeast. Stinks draws bugs n dont up the levels at all. Ive also fed dry ice which is pure co2 neither did anything but hit my wallet n make the air unsafe. An actual tank and controller are the best way sealed room only. But your talking big headache for very minimal gain. Im no pro but i got a realistic approach on this
I started with a closet n $400. No lights or nothing.
Just weed out the hype n theres plenty info available here. But all thats really needed is light fresh air and good water.
Get ph testing equip on your list. Its a must. Ec ppm meter not so much. Not in soil anyways. Ph adjusting fluid up n down. On your list. Theres a lot of little tgings thats always hard to go over online but youll get it going. As always dont take my or any single person input as the only way.

3 Likes

… hmm. Don t understand your posting too well… what is a NGB stealth box ?

Using paint tarps is a great idea ! thank you !

I would love to visit a grow shop with you ! would save me lots of time and beginner mistakes.

One can almost get everything on the internet. If you are ready to pay for the freight…

I give you 2 links so you can see the choices I have…

in german, sorry…

https://www.fourtwenty.ch/growshop.html

what is this “getting a nasty gram for posting in a thread early on…?”

If you need my permission to post picts in this thread, you have it :slight_smile:

2 Likes