Movable walls - a grow room able to grow. A good idea?

Extreme gardening makes a foliar that supplies carbon directly to the leaf surface to be used during transpiration at the leaf. But again not really needed. I still got half the bag from 3yrs ago. It was hype. Does what it says but does no good if plant isnt demanding the added co2
Certain situations deprive co2
Adequate fresh air fixes that for free.

1 Like

For your walls Iā€™ve had a think. Youā€™ve got a lot of options but hereā€™s my 2 cents. You could get some heavy duty hinges/brackets and some castor wheels, those paired with a 1x1 inch or 2x2 inch wooden frame then you could pin up black and white sheets, Mylar or whatever reflective material youā€™re using over the frame and be able to move the wall in and out with the castors. Then you would have the ability to size up the panel and also be able to simply wheel the L shaped wall around your space. If you bought some heavy duty hinges you could even build partitions out of timber for later down the line when you need a bigger space to just fold out.

Any reflective material you choose will be cheaper when comparing cost of sheeting vs wooden boards+paint or something along those lines. Black and white double layered over the frame will be light proof and cheaper. Maybe one 5Mx2M roll would do for the space youā€™re looking at doing. Anyway thatā€™s just my thoughts. If you donā€™t understand this I wrote it in plain English so you could translate it :+1:t2: If you measure the exact space I could even draw you a plan to follow to make what Iā€™m talking about, wouldnā€™t take me long to sketch up.

3 Likes

I think I ll forget about this CO2 supplementā€¦

I live quite alone. This is the only house for a few miles around. My landlord knows my plans. The grow room is inside of a bedroom. I have shutters and can blacken out the windowsā€¦ During wintertime we have hardly any hikers.

So light and smell are no big issues - at least in the beginning.

I agree on the 8" inline fan. Should be dimmableā€¦ How s about the extraction fan ? Do the fans have to be in relation with the total air volume of the tent ? I need a kind of heater in order to control the temp of the incoming air. During wintertime outside air can be 20 C below zero (- 4 F). I ve seen cotrollers able to control humidity and temp in a given grow room.
I most probably get one of these. I need to make a list of the minimum that I need to growā€¦

Love this controllerā€¦https://derhollaender.ch/shop/garten-center/elektro/zeitschaltuhren/nanogrow-lichtluftcontroller-2x600w-luefter/

controlls light and airā€¦ if only cash would be no issueā€¦

you are a genious !

If I get you right you are talking about an L shaped panel, covered with black and white material from floor to ceiling on castor rolls ?

The panel can grow by adding some more elements/styropor plates or what ever on one or both sides of the L shaped wallā€¦

This is brilliant !

Thanks for your input !

3 Likes

Just quickly drew this to try show you and demonstrate.

I know very simple :rofl: just a quick one but at first I thought about a single wall attached to your current wall but that would be off balance where as if itā€™s built in an L shape itā€™ll pretty much balance itself with the weight AND with the flip out door bit youā€™d be able to adjust the size or even use it as an actual door when you upscale :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Ffsā€¦now I need to rethink my spaceā€¦ if I can do a 600 watt vertical build and have 4 plantsā€¦well thatā€™s 4 sidesā€¦all light energy utilized!!!

Dwcrc here I comeā€¦shitā€¦whatā€™s the radiant lpw passed the reflectorā€¦ oh yeah, what reflector?!

Hey Fill_Watertank,
Sorry I did not mean to ignore your pic request. Here is my old cycle, in pics, as I do not have just paint tarp pics.
First pic is my version of a NewGanjaBoy Stealth Box. A total mind blow for me way back then!!

Then into paint tarp wall area.
Another.
Last one.

5 Likes

Wow ! What a very nice and big garden ! I love the plants. Seems you have a big room to grow inā€¦

I got it now what the meaning of NGB isā€¦ :slight_smile: Very nice !

1 Like

Hi all,

because I m not ready yet to make a big garden out of my sleeping room, I have changed my plans.

I will put a 4x4 tent in my kitchen. Today I ordered all the stuff that I think I will need. If you re interested I ll post a list of the items.

What I already do have is a propagator and an LED lamp (Sunlight M 30) ! :slight_smile:

Yesterday evening I put 3 seeds into wine glasses with water in order they can have a bath before going to start life !

Tonight I ll put them in Root Riots and into the propagator. Here some picts.

From top to bottom.
Bathing in style on the propagator - with a breathtaking view :wink:

Had to put them on a cat-save place overnight :wink:

Finally the place in a closet with the light onā€¦

I started a CRITICAL, an ICE, a ROYAL GORILLA and a SPECIAL QUEEN. All feminised but no auto (did nt have any here)

ā€¦ so let the show beginn ! ! !

6 Likes

Not the same thing, but have you checked the Sonoff controllers? They are pretty cheap if you are looking for automation. I run a tiny space with LED controlled by a cheap timer and a Sonoff TH16 to measure temp+humidity and control a fan based on the measurements. The Sonoff with sensor was like 13ā‚¬, the timer probably around 10ā‚¬ (had it lying around).

There is a thread about a more advanced setup here, Iā€™ve described how I hacked mine (so I donā€™t use a chinese cloud service) here.

1 Like

thanks @allotment, but I bought all what I needā€¦

The plan is to make a test run with 4 plants. The medium will be cocos.

I bought a few pots of 6 and 11 Litres, about 2 and 4 galllons. Then a 380 m3/h S&P Silent air system (had to think of you, @ifish, cause you suggested these).

Then I bought nutes from Advanced Nutrients. ā€œSensi Coco Grow A+B, Ph Perfectā€, ā€œTarantula Liquidā€ and ā€œVoodoo Juiceā€. I really love the nutes they sell !

Then I bought a Hybrid Controller for the air.

I already have a 400 W MH Light. This will do for this round. I hope to be able to buy some LED gear for the next growā€¦

Wish me luck !

4 Likes

This one ?

https://www.justfans.co.uk/silent-350125-p-1905.html

In-line meaning it fits inline with your exhaust ducting

Carbon filter attaches on to your in-line fan which attaches on to your exhaust ducting , controlled by your hybrid fan controller ?

But your not adding the carbon filter , as your not worried about smell : )

1 Like

Sounds great, keep us updated!

Exactly ifish. It s this one. I ordered a 380m3/h but it s out of stock. So they ll offer me the 350ā€¦ No carbon filter at the beginning. After we will see how it smellsā€¦

In order to fill the tent I started six more seeds. No name brand. Seeds I have found in grass witch was given to meā€¦

I should get all the gear in the next few days. Will keep you updated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have a look at phonic trap ducting , expensive but nice : )
Normal ducting is very noisy with the rush of air , this stuff is very quiet

I also use this , with a electric oil filled radiator 600w , it means sensor can be put in center of tent at canopy and not inside radiator in corner , better controll and reading etc

Or this one works two , I just bought the cheapest I could find on eBay as Iā€™m always on tight budget : )

They also do one for heat mat for under propagator ( for controlling lower power ) etc just drill hole in propagated lid and put in sensor : )

Set and forget , perfect temps always , when kitchen temps fall at night

2 Likes

Hey @ifish,

in a few hours all my gear will arrive here ! I m quite exitedā€¦ It s raining outside and freezing coldā€¦ So the best I can do today is set up my garden :slight_smile:

I do have a heat mat under the propagator. The temperature is regulated by an electrical timer. I made test runs the last few days in order to get a more or less constant 22 to 26 degrees C. Humidity is ok when it s highā€¦

This dimming thermostat is meant to start a heater inside the tent in case it get s too cold ? My english is far from perfectā€¦ :frowning:

Like the fresh air comes in straight from outside and needs to warm up inside the tent?
Was thinking this is what the hybrid controller is doing ?

If my light (400 W) runs 24/7 there is a lot of heat generating. I m not sure if I need a heater. Why not use the heat from the lamp to heat the tent ?

I m curious about the phonic trap ducting. I love the silence and will appreciate silent gearā€¦

Like you, ifish, I m on a low budget. So before I buy more gear I ll see if I can do with what I have.

thanks for your inputs, ifish. I really do appreciate ! I need any help that I can getā€¦

wish you a very nice day !

:helmet_with_cross::om_symbol:

I had one of those tents with a velcrod partitionā€¦they are almost impossible to squash light leaks, I imagine walls would be a bigger challangeā€¦if you want to grow put that effort into learning to grow ā€¦tents are cheap enough to upgradeā€¦just get a light that is easy to pair up with another as you increase tent size. Start with a 3x3 and a good led ( I use HLG and Sol Strip) in the other hand I like projects as well. Good Luck!

1 Like

The oil filled radiator has a temperature sensor inside it ( not a good place ) and it is a bad sensor ( makes temperature rise and fall , if temp set at 24c , it shall go up / rise to 24c and then shut radiator off , then temp has to drop / fall to 22c before sensor turns radiator on again . So temperature in tent at night in flower ( 12/12 ) is up down up down up down
With habistat controller the sensor is placed in center of tent ( a good place ) and it stays at 24c always when lights are out
In your propagator temp is 22,26,22,26,22,26 , not steady , habistat controller makes it always 25 or what ever you set it at
When in veg ,24 hours lights on , the light is the source of the heat , and the in-line fan and the fan controller controls the temperature : )

2 Likes

Thanks for your insights, ifish.

I understand that with habistat controller your temp will stay at the temp you choose. Fine, but in nature, temp is fluctuating. This is why I think that there is no harm done if the temp is changing between 22 and 26.

Recently, this morning, I could set up the whole thing with a heat pad on a timer and a small fan.
The temp is stable now at 26ā€¦ So far - so goodā€¦

Yesterday I saw a brown/orange spot on a leaf. The plants are about 4 days old. I wonder if it is burntā€¦

I use a SANlight M30. The distance top of plant to light is 4.72` or 12 cm. Is this too close ?
Temp is 26 - RH 40 %. They grow on Root Riots witch I have to water quite oftenā€¦

Any inputs are welcome :kissing:

Greets from hereā€¦

:helmet_with_cross::om_symbol:

1 Like