Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

Light period isnā€™t nearly important as weed since there is no photosynthesis. 5000-6000k lights t5ā€™s or cfls will work. I donā€™t use a monotub I use small tubs then top it with another tub same size like a humidity dome. Doing your own grains is the way to go but you might want to run a few pf Tek grows or brown rice flour cakes. That way you get to see a few grow before you go to bulk. Thatā€™s up to you though. Ask questions Iā€™ll try and answer in thread or pm.

7 Likes

Youā€™re speaking another language bro.
Ya might as well all me @Mycologynoob, lol

4 Likes

Shroomery.org is like the og for mushrooms edible magical cacti all that. Search pf Tek or beginners that will get you a good start. https://www.youtube.com/@MushroomsRR check out these videos will learn you a few things.

7 Likes

When we spoke before, you said I should get at least a __ quart pressure cooker?

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t go smaller than 20-22 quart personally. That way you can do at least 8 quart jars at once. Also will work for canning foods and sterilizing tools jars lids.

5 Likes

Yeah, I do a lot of canning after my veggie garden is done too. Iā€™ve been getting tired of the water bath method anyways. So I was kinda planning on getting one already. Thatā€™ll be my reasoning to the mrs. Lol, shhhhh :rofl:

And what PSI do I need to hold for how long to be sterilized?

3 Likes

@420noob so I was checking my agar cups and found thisā€¦

Mushrooms fruiting in my agarā€¦?:thinking::woman_shrugging::mushroom:

11 Likes

Yep itā€™s a plate pin. So that is a completely sterile mushroom. You can drop in a jar for a lc or put in plate or drop right into grain jars. Or let it do its thing and when the veil drops print it. Very normal and very versatile

Not sure how good pic is but thatā€™s a shroom that opened them final fell over.
Just noticed thatā€™s a Costa Rican aaagar

10 Likes

Do I leave it on the cup if I just want to let it be and print?

2 Likes

Great White Monster

12 Likes

hey hey @420noob - I hope you are keeping well.
That is so so kind - I shall PM you :pray:

Being in the UK everything is crazy expensive these days - the bird seed cost me Ā£6 for 4kg so about $10usd - it should last a while. The first batch I soaked and dried ready for jarring started rooting - made me laugh, so I fed them to the birds and did it again a little faster, so after cold soaking, I threw the lot in boiling water for a few seconds then drained them, the heat helped speed up drying the outer shells - or at least in my mind it did.

The Lions mane is a crazy looking thing - it is really tasty as you say, but mainly I am pulping it down, drying it and putting it in capsules as part of my daily healthy stuff to take. Tempted to get some logs going outside with Reishi and Lions mane then indoors can be focused on the magicals.

The Cambodian so far has treated me well - I have taken spore prints, put prints to agar which has now taken nicely (not fully colonised plates yet but a good start), also the two boxes I put to bulk are both from bag started Cambodians and that is nwo through the coco and starting to pin.

Slants are something I have been reading about and watching videos on recently - on my next order I will be getting some vials, and for educationals I want to also make a jar of culture up.

Self sufficiency is key for me - i recently gave up the rat race in the city with a view to going fully off grid in Portugal or Spain over the next couple of years

6 Likes

hey @gonzo - I am trying both types at the moment with Lions Mane which is Legal and cambodians which should beā€¦anyhow, currently looking at making my own bags up for the Lions mane and the mediums used for a lot of the gourmet mushrooms is wood based Vs the Grain based for magicsā€¦being a Noob I am sure this will be incorrect overall but this is what I am finding when reading and teh bags I will be making will be based on hardwood pellets.

4 Likes

Chestnut and black poplar can be grown in the same manner in tubs or bags, just switch out the bulk substrate to wood based instead of Coco. King oysters and lions mane can also be done in tubs, but fill them up more and top fruit them.
If you want to get started asap, get some grain bags on Etsy or 90 second microwave brown rice. At least with the gourmet varieties, you should be getting LC that is tested clean to put to the grains. spores should should go to agar or BRF cake to be cleaned up.

7 Likes

No, either way you start initial growth on grains, which is then mix in with the bulk substrate which the mushrooms would fruit from. The bulk substrate, and fruiting conditions/style is then different from there, based on the type of mushrooms youā€™re growing. Some like cubensis can be fruiting with no other nutrients besides the grain, just add more gas exchange after colonizing. But that limits the surface area where fruits can grow, so mixing it with coco (CVG) increases surface area and provides more moisture retention. While others need to be mixed with a bulk that has some sort of nutrient, be it straw, wood based (paper, sawdust, shavings ect) or compost/manure.

5 Likes

No wait for cap to open and veil to break then put on foil like a regular print
@zaaboot 4kgs of wbs will last you a while.
@RustyChem nice looking great white is that a first flush?
@blowdout2269 The PF Tek. Step by step. (A Magash picture show) - Cakes - Shroomery Message Board pf tek

7 Likes

12 Likes

Itā€™s been a while, but Iā€™m planning on making my first spore syringe this week and then inoculating a tray of BRF jars with the Natalensis print @420noob was kind enough to send me.

6 Likes

Yeah this is the first flush. Of all my mush strains, itā€™s consistently the best performer.

3 Likes

Florida white f+. 5 full days of colonizing coco dung substrate. This is where things start picking up. Should be ready in 10 days with these two small lidded tubs in the 32QT monotub.
thumbnail_20230413_195415

9 Likes

Thank you @420noob , learnt a lot of things catching upā€¦
You sir are a library ā€¦ :pray::pray::pray:
Thank you for the tips on the autoclave, i had 10 litre one added on my Amazon wishlist, time to look for another model i thinkā€¦

Iā€™m gonna start a trial run before i splurge for autoclave and DIY a Laminar flow hood, it seems like sterile bags and other things are available locally for meā€¦

Spores might take a little searching, but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be able to find someone locally for the trial runā€¦

2 Likes