Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

If you live in England you can buy these?

1 Like

You can buy them in the US for sure. They sell them at most grow stores around me.

Oops sorry, I thought those were the co2 boosters.

I sell substratebags in the us, go on reddit. There are a few UK vendors.

2 Likes

Still on going. First pins are growing, had some contam and had to scrap a tub too.

3 Likes

Yeah man more than 2 years since I reconnected they heal me for sure

1 Like

I’m gifting a bag to well known face here as i come and go. Hopefully he can give a review?

2 Likes

How have they been stored? In the fridge theycan last for years in a syringe. You have 6 months to a year if they are kept room temp. Prints last for decades though.

I’ve got a batch of monster ape spawned onto leaves and stems from my last 3 harvests. In theory they should pick up some thc and add a 4n-methyl group to it. Im curious if you will be able to feel the thc or if it will be in an inactive form

2 Likes

Blue magnolia classic

Pick the top layer, then flip the cake to finish the side pins

12 Likes

Pink oysters

9 Likes

Uploading: 20210526_144515.jpg…

5 Likes

Growing quick!

9 Likes

Those are beautiful!

2 Likes

I dont grow psychs at my house, just gourmets. We keep that in Washtenaw county where its legal. So, I can get pics of this one as it flushes daily. I love how strong and fast oyster mushrooms grow. They gobble up aspergillus and trich like its not even there. By far the easiest species I’ve grown. The pink are nice, they taste kind of seafoodish, its hard to describe. But they go well with fish or shellfish, a nice something different for vegetarians too. I’ll probably cook these with some kind of shrimp and rice, maybe a paella?

8 Likes

Some Lions Mane I fruited out, needed better air circulation so the growth was irregular.

10 Likes

Worked in the industry for more years than I care to admit. For the lions mane, try to reduce the amount of surface area you fruit at one time.

We always had the best luck poking a pinhole in one corner of the bag, rolling it down tight to the substrate, taping it down tight and then flipping the bag on its head. From there, cut a few slits on the sides of the bag. Try to limit the amount of substrate that gets exposed to the air, even in between the substrate and the plastic. This should help self regulate the proper airflow.

If anyone has any culinary mushroom questions, please reach out. If it’s not active, and people eat it without dying, I’ve grown it.

8 Likes

Do you still grow any? I’m looking to expand my gourmet collection. I only have lion’s mane and pink oyster currently. My portabella culture that I bought seems to be dead. I tried growing it on grain, then LC and agar. No growth anywhere , damn eBay LC.

2 Likes

At the moment no, but if you are in need of something I can very likely track it down in one form or another - again, culinary only.

That said, as far as getting port cultures, I would honestly rather spend the 10 minutes it would take to teach you how to take your own fresh mushroom cultures. No reason to spend tons of cash on cultures if you already have the necessary equipment.

Not sure if it would be better to chat here or DM.

4 Likes

Put a how-to up, it’d be a great resource. I just made 12 jars of LC with filters and ports, 4% corn syrup is my standard.

I have grown oysters on coffee grounds from grocery store clusters

3 Likes

Stand alone topic in the same categories and tags or here directly? Happy to do either but still trying to feel out the etiquette here.

4 Likes

I’d do a stand alone DIY clone grocery store mushrooms. Overgrow with everything! Same tags.

5 Likes

Sounds good. I’ll do a write up with some general guidelines regarding culture work as well. Might take me a couple days (going out of town) but I’ll shoot you a message when it’s up.

5 Likes