Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

That sounds perfectly reasonable, but Iā€™m not fully convinced, tbh.

The total colonized area in the Uncle Benā€™s is greater in volume than the others. So while the relative percentage is definitely higher in the (much) smaller bag, the absolute volume also appeared to be higher

(I broke up and mixed the millet also, and got to see how much internal volume was colonized by turning the bag such that uncolonized grains fell away from the colonized areas because I was curious)

Either way itā€™s been fascinating to watch, even if I havenā€™t been exactly patient :wink:

3 Likes

A different direction than the rest of this thread, Iā€™m planning on growing some cordyceps and attempt this with pasteurized silk worms (uncle Ben tek with bugs :joy:)

3 Likes

The sugar content may be more available for the mycelium to take overā€¦ remember fungi, because they lack chlorophyl, get their source of energy from different types of sugars and also protein. The easier they can source food, the better, the faster they will grow. Plus the right temperature and humidity play a major role too.

2 Likes

The worm or insect need to eat the spores they have to be aliveā€¦ they then when it comes the right time start to spawnā€¦ these fungi have been inspiration for many horror movies and storiesā€¦ some say HR Geiger Alien is one of them.

Check out zombie antsā€¦ not a film, itā€™s a true storyā€¦ not exactly like cordyceps militaris but similarā€¦

Fungi are the most amazing thingsā€¦ the single largest living organism on earth. Armillaria in Oregon check that out too

3 Likes

Theyā€™re doing it by injecting the silk worms directly with the LC. But I personally intend to test the way itā€™s done by the fungi myself, as theyā€™ve done trials with different ways of exposing the insects to different stages of the fungi. I thought it was in the soil and the bug gets infected when it burrows to pupate.

These are what Iā€™m going to start my experimenting with, plus I have live hornworms to work with

3 Likes

Well if it does workā€¦ you have a gold mineā€¦ the stuff is pretty expensive and it is super healthy stuff. Great for immunityā€¦ very rich in polysaccharides if Iā€™m not mistaken.

Try injecting truffle spawn :kissing_heart::+1:

2 Likes

Very cool! I hope this works for you, Iā€™ll be watching if you start a log or just post updates here!

1 Like

Well, The other night I got to messing around and practicing with a SAB. I Got a nice big Lions Mane from Whole Foods, and some bottles of tots apple juice (preservatives free). Doing some short cut liquid culture.
After seeing all a liquid culture consists of is some sugar and water plus trace some nutrients, I realized itā€™s exactly what a yeast starter is for making wine/mead. So just like starting yeast,

I added the (hopefully clean) sample to some shelf stable juice, which kind of goes with the uncle Ben tek Iā€™m also going to try out. I do have a couple 3lb pre sterilized injectable grain bags on order.
Also, tonight I got a special delivery.

Top left going clockwise:
Mazatat (mazatapec x true albino teacher t.a.t),
Z-strain
Albino Chodewave
ODPE

6 Likes

I guess my millet bag from the grow kit has stalled or something. It doesnā€™t appear to be growing anything at all anymore. Itā€™s just been static for a while. Maybe it dried out too much, I donā€™t know, what causes grain to stall?

In the meantime, I did a grain to grain transfer from a bag of the Uncle Benā€™s to ten more bags about a week or so ago, and they appear to be colonizing quickly.

I had a little left over after doing that, so I just dumped it into a plastic container and set it aside. It was mostly uncolonized grains and bruised chunks that didnā€™t get transferred.

I honestly expected it to just get contaminated, but it recovered and started growing again. Even the really bruised parts started getting overgrown with white again.

It still hadnā€™t developed any off odors or strange colors a week+ later, so I decided to say the heck with it and try and spawn it to a small tray of coco, just to see if it does anything interesting while Iā€™m waiting on the other spawn to finish colonizing.

It looked okay to my noob eyes, and smelled clean.

So I broke it up really well and mixed it into some pasteurized coco (shown pre-mix below).

And covered that with another 1/4" layer of coco.

I put the tray into a sterilite tub so I can control gas exchange and humidity, and now Iā€™m waiting to see what it does.

Iā€™m not good with waiting, so even if this little tray does nothing (or even goes sideways) I wonā€™t be upset. I just felt I had nothing to lose if I try it :wink:

9 Likes

As a Canadian, where would I find 7 g or less to use for microdosing? Like, .05g per capsule, right?..or less?

3 Likes

I do 200mg per capsule. For the most part itā€™s good, sometimes I feel it with more potent types.
There are alot of online places to order from but the prices Ive seen are ridiculous. I canā€™t recommend any specifically.

6 Likes

I found prices outrageous tooā€¦I figured I was just seeing scammy sites.

4 Likes

I grow my own mushrooms as well. But for some reason they no longer provide me with what I need. Pretty sure they helped me fix whatever was wrong with me because I donā€™t think the way I used to. I usually now trade my mushrooms to a buddy who has a great supply of LSD.

3 Likes

Some mushrooms creat new neural pathways and that is the secret to their success. LSD in high doses has also shown to be a great way to fight depression.

2 Likes

When I take a trip now itā€™s usually 4-6 hits of LSD. Sometimes I have taken as many as 10. Never had a bad experience and itā€™s been over 2 months since my last one so Iā€™m a bit over due lol

2 Likes

There was woman that recently took an LSD dose 25 times what was advisedā€¦ she suffered from a deep depressionā€¦ it seems she now has been able to function properly and has been able to feel normal after many years of suffering.

3 Likes

Gosh, I hate waiting. I have no idea wtf Iā€™m doing here, but I guess it seems to be going okay.

12 Likes

Yeah that looks good. Should see pins soon.

2 Likes

Hahaha some mushroom species take for ages!! Others are really quickā€¦ I did some experiments with Boletus edulis and other speciesā€¦ the mycorrhizal ones took way longer than the saprophytic ones.

2 Likes

Wow! Yeah, I can imagine they would lol. Howā€™d the experiments turn out?

1 Like