Mutant Madness?

That’s funny, I have 1 seed from a Gran Pur Pur I just finished that selfed late in flower.

2 Likes

Looks like the Quack bastards to me.

Awesome post, so much going on in this space! Some awesome flowers.

3 Likes

Yep you got it! They are really starting to look good now. The internodes are stretching and the plant is overall beginning to grow faster.

Thank you for the support. It means a lot! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is the bud update! I’m not going to post any photos of the live plants. This is going to be purely about the recently chopped Drunken Bastards and the plans moving forward (a ton has changed in the last week).

First off, here’s the last Bastard (#10) which got processed last.

Here’s the total harvest, minus the trim bag. I put all the loose larfy stuff in with all of the trim. Pretty much everything that went into a jar had some density to it, while all of the loose airy buds went in the trim bag. I did not take a picture of the trim bag but I would guess there’s 1/2 lb (~220g give or take). I have not weighed my bounty yet but I’m guessing it’s going to be around 200-250g. I may be surprised though.

I can say the Drunken Bastards are a low yield strain for sure. They looked like they might be bigger but 90% of the buds are tiny. That said, some of them are super resinous, so I’m not concerned about the quality not being there. I’ve smoked a couple puffs off each plant now and I can say it DEFINITELY stands up to the “expensory” (dispensary) that we have here locally. The high and effects from this strain are wonderful! The THC content is good, and the trace amounts of CBD make it really mellow and just all around good smoke. The nose is predominantly sweet pine, until you break it apart. That’s when the blueberry yum starts to stand out. I am kind of bummed that it doesn’t create more dense flowers, but I guess that’s where good breeding work is going to be needed!

The last thing I want to mention here for any onlookers is that regardless of the low yield, I absolutely enjoyed growing this strain and I do believe it’s worth the resources to continue growing this strain. While I did not get harvests compared to some of the modern polyhybrid crosses that are out there, the harvest that I did get was plenty for the average person. Even with a high consumption of cannabis, I still feel like this strain was quite productive for the time it spent flowering.

Now I’d like to share my current plans and some of the challenges I’ve faced with my plants recently.
First off, I should do an inventory so everyone knows how scattered my plants are right now.
Outdoors location 1: I have 5x Quack Bastards and a couple of polyhybrids
Outdoors location 2: 2x BerryFreak (same plant), 1x Imperium X, 1x Blueberry Muffin, 1x Drunken Bastard #11 and 2x male Invictus
Indoors location 1 : Clone parents for Lagkitan, IX, BF, DW, DB, GPP, V9T, DJ, etc. I have like 33 parent plants right now with several others in the cloning chamber waiting to root. (will add 3 parents to the list)
Indoors location 2 : 9x Invictus ladies

The biggest change here is that I thought Invictus had begun flowering a month ago. Since I don’t manage them, I did not know they were still on veg light cycle. My plan was to run the Lagkitan in the 4x4 once the Invictus are done. I planned on putting them in at the last week of August but now the Invictus are going to need 8-9 weeks from yesterday, so that plan is kaput. The new plan is that instead of me running a mutant run, I’m going to do the Lagkitan run and the mutant run can be done when the Invictus finish up (at location 2). My goal in both of these runs (mutant and Lagkitan) are for seeds. The Lagkitan are going to be a challenge. I have to figure out how I’m going to flower 18 of them in my 5x3. I’m thinking I’m going to make some custom pots so they have enough dirt to do what they need to, while having enough room in the tent. I have considered just running half of them, so I have more room. The problem is my veg tent is a bit overloaded compared to what I can actually flower. I have to think on the most efficient way to sort through the new additions I have, while maintaining the keepers I want to keep.

Right now I have waayy too many different plants going. I need to sort through the Lagkitan for my scorpion pheno. I need to pick the keepers out of the GPP/V9T, and I need to start my mutant run. Got too many projects I want to do, and not enough space to do what I want. I need to think about things carefully now.

It’s likely that now that I’m done trimming I’ll post another update tomorrow about the live plants.

12 Likes

I feel the same way. But I would add “time” to that as well.

4 Likes

@middleman - You know honestly I can make time for my plants no matter what. I would LOVE to have more time but with the time I have, I can utilize it better if I have more SPACE. :crazy_face:

Alrighty here we are on the live plants! I’ll explain as we go what my thoughts are moving forward.

First off, the gorgeous Double Jam lady! She’s on Day 80 from flower. Over the last week I hit her with 1200 ppm of 10-30-20 nutrients with a little epsom salt mixed in. It looks like there may have been a little more nitrogen than I would have liked because she put out a lot of leaves. So I think moving forward here I’m going to give her plain water for the remaining 3 weeks of her life. In a few days I will also turn back the lights to 11/13 to encourage her to finish. I expect with this boost of nutrition she’s going to get REALLY good in the next 2 weeks. I’ve also noticed she’s drinking quite a bit more. I need to water her twice daily now otherwise she’s getting thirsty. Anyways here she is!

Next we have some parents here:

Bottom left: DB#9, which may be replaced by DB#11, haven’t decided yet
Middle left: DB#1 male, which unfortunately is going to have to wait before he can mate with the other mutants
Top left: BF keeper
Bottom middle: DW keeper (haven’t truly decided if she’s worth keeping yet as I haven’t sampled her flowers)
Middle middle: DJ lady getting huge in the middle! I’m trying to encourage her to veg cycle but she’s wanting to expand quite a bit! I’ll have to trim her in the next couple of days.
Top middle: Imperium X keeper (will probably let her go once DB#1 hits her with pollen)… I’ve decided that Imperium X and the DB flavor would pair excellently with each other. And honestly I want more room to work with plants so I’m tempted to just keep her genetics in the line and call it good with that. Not 100% though because she’s quite unique and of course purple buds are always fun to grow!

Then we get into the Giant Pur Pur F2s…

Such a mixed bag here. I have some Duckfoot varieties that I’m leaning towards culling but honestly the way they’re growing I think they’re going to be fantastic plants to grow. I don’t know if I can bring myself to cull them simply because they don’t have the right leaf shape. There’s only 2 lanceolate specimens with really good structure and vigor. All the others are either slower/smaller or Duckfoot variety. Even though on a breeding standpoint I’m only interesting in the 2 lanceolate varieties, I’m not sure I can discard the other 7. They’re too nice! I’ll likely remove most of the large fan leaves on them all to encourage side branching in the next couple of days.

Next we have the V9 Tigers:

These are very interesting little plants! Of the 7 it looks like only 3 have variegations (so far) with only 1 being pretty extreme. The other plants all have wonderful smells quite similar to the GPPs. It seems like this variety is going to be quite a bit smaller than most of the GPP specimens. I haven’t topped them yet and they’re naturally bushing out more than the GPP. Similarly to the GPP, I’m really only interesting in 3 specimens, but I’m not sure I can bring myself to cull the others without seeing their beauty first. Here’s the extreme variegated specimen next to a couple of SubterFreak F3 (loving those too!)

In either case here, the only male I’m interested in is a lanceolate GPP male. Since I have 2 I’m hoping for 1 male 1 female. I have 12 more seeds if I don’t get what I’m lookin’ for. I’m really hoping the extreme SWAG specimen turns out to be a girl. She’s going to need quite a bit of time before she’s ready for anything too! She’s growing like a bastard and not like a SWAG mutant. It’s likely that I’ll flower out these specimens, removing the males (maybe not necessarily removing males from the garden just the flowering tent) and keep what I’m looking for. Out of the 16 plants I’m really only interested in 3-4 but I’m thinking each will have an opportunity to impress me.

Almost last, we have the Lagkitan:

Starting to get crazy again. The plan I did have was to flower these after the Invictus finished in the 4x4 tent. After realizing that they still need another 8-9 weeks I decided that once my Double Jam lady finishes up, I get to figure out how to cram these 18 plants into my 5x3 tent. I know it’s only 1 sq ft less than the 4x4 but I believe these are going to be quite large plants, similar to the Double Jam. I’m going to try and do as much trimming as humanly possible to keep them maintained equally and whatnot, so they all have proper chances to do their thing. Similarly to the other strains I’m running, I’m only looking for 1 phenotype. I’ve pondered back and forth about keeping several but I really only want the scorpion pheno. So this is going to be a seed repro with the intentions that I find my keeper female, with backup seeds in case in the future I would like to revisit the line when I have more space.

One thing I wanted to mention here is that I believe Lagkitan to be one of those landrace strains where true males are rare to find. Females and herms are plentiful but true males are hard to find. This is just a guess based on the trimming on these plants that I’ve already done. I believe I may have 1 or 2 males and the other 16 are going to be female/herm. That said, I don’t think herm individuals are going to show up now. The one herm was about as herm as it gets. At the tops of the branch were long pistils and at the base, pollen sacs. That individual is sitting outside right now so if it really turns out where I need pollen I can always bring it inside (which will actually line up perfectly with our natural light cycle here). Did not want to hose myself if that one ends up being the only source for pollen.

Lastly we have the clones:

There’s 1 Menthol Skunk seed in the corner which will definitely be culled if it doesn’t show pinnate leaves. So far it isn’t, so it’s likely to disappear soon. The reason I can get rid of this one is I have like 50 seeds for it, and I’m only looking for pinnate type plants similar to the BerryFreak lady I already have. Would love to find a male Menthol Skunk to continue the BerryFreak line, as I discovered in my old research that it was the same male used to pollinate the different phenos of BerryFreak. One pheno made BerryFreak and one made Menthol Skunk. Since BerryFreak is sold out worldwide, I can use a Menthol Skunk male to get about as close to possible as a suitable brother to mate her with. I could make BerryFreak F4s which I’m sure would definitely be sought after. The BerryFreak line yields a lot more than the Freakshow line, from what I’ve seen and experienced growing them out.

Since I’m running the Lagkitan next instead of the F1 mutant seed run I had hoped to run, 90% of these clones will be removed. I’m really only trying to recover a couple of keepers. Since the DB#11 mom perished outside, I’ve been patiently waiting for her to root so I can feel safe knowing she’s not going anywhere. So that’s one of the plants I’m trying to save. The other 2 are Invictus clones. Out of 13 seeds, only 2 showed up male. One male smells like leather and burlap. Very earthy and yummy. The other smells minty, so I decided to take that one. Additionally, I was helping on some defoliation on the Invictus ladies inside (there’s 9) and noticed one in particular which was extremely sticky compared to the others. Like I’m talking night and day difference here people. To my great delight, when I looked at my trimming shears I see pink/red resin. The only other strain I’ve had with such resin is my Imperium X lady and she’s purple! I totally spaced it, but when I revisited the sales page for Invictus I do see they mention it changes into dark colors late in flowering so I’m hoping I found a really good couple of specimens in the bunch. If that’s the case, the male will be used at some point to increase the potency of my MintFreak line, as well as possibly making Invictus F2s.

Last random thought: As a mutant guy, when you look at breeding with mutants the F2 is the important generation. What’s curious to me is that there’s so little information on pheno hunting REGULAR strains this way. Why don’t people search F2s more when pheno hunting? Why are they always hunting F1s? Don’t they know how recessive traits work?? If anyone wants to try and answer those I’d be happy to discuss that!

10 Likes

Those Giant Pur Pur leafs look alot like Stinging Nettle leafs to me.

4 Likes

@chronix - There are a couple of specimens in particular which have lanceolate leaves but the ends up them have 3 tips, like Stinging Nettle kind of. It’s difficult to explain but I can agree with the correlation!

Update time - Lots of changes as summer draws on. Kicked a bunch of mutants outside. When all the parts arrive, I’m going to build a custom-made structure to protect my babies from wandering eyes. Going to be 10 feet wide by 10 feet long, 8 ft tall. Plenty of room for everything. I threw DB#1 in there, hoping to make a bunch of F1s of DB crosses I want. Not sure how big he will be by the time he flowers but I’m suspecting he’s not going to be very big. Hopefully his pollen is potent and can seed plenty of the girls.

Let’s start with the flowering lady. She’s on week 12 now and going nuts on building buds. The offshoots from the main bud have grown their own sidebuds and the sidebuds are growing buds. It’s crazy! I ordered some 1-34-32 bloom food to feed her. I believe the nutes I’m using right now have too much nitrogen for her. She’s wanting to grow like it’s week 3. She got REALLY leafy too. Maybe that’s just her doing the second phase of floral development? I’m not sure. Either way she’s stunning! I’ve now made plans to give her 131 days of flowering. I planned on pulling her at the 15 week mark but it looks like she’s going to go closer to 18.
See for yourself.
IMG_4974

In the veg tent (top chamber) we have Lagkitan in need of a haircut. I may transplant them into larger containers too but I’ve been worried about vertical height because they slowly get taller after every haircut.

In the bottom chamber we have some clones (DB1, 9, 11, BF, DW, IX, I1, DJ). I have 3 more clones I wish to throw in there: I2, I3 and DB11. The DB11 clone I planted had only very minor root development. I planted it because I have 3 other clones starting to root. They all look like they’re dying though instead of thriving. I really need want to hang onto this particular female so I’m hoping between the 1 I planted and the 3 remaining clones that I’ve got her without worries. Right now she needs more time for me to feel secure about it. There’s also a couple V9 Tigers in there still. V9T1 is highly variegated so the growth has been really slow. Fortunately it looks like new leaves contain a larger percentage of green leaf rather than yellow leaf! Hopefully it picks up soon. It’s growing at the speed of ABC. Then we have V9T7… which seems to be a runt. So slow compared to it’s siblings. Pretty weak looking. Not sure if I want to save it but I’m giving it a chance! The newbie on the far right is a Menthol Skunk seed. I sprouted 1 just to see if it would show up pinnate. It appears like it will be the deeply serrated variation but I’m still hoping it will go pinnate on the next set of new leaves.

Now we have the outside stuff!

BerryFreak female:

Duckweb female:

Drunken Bastard #1 (male) and #9 (female):

Unknown sex V9 Tigers:

Unknown sex Giant Pur Pur HK 2.0 F2:

Unknown sex Quack Bastard F4:

8 Likes

This week brings a lot of craziness. I’ll go over the DJ lady first. I’m really concerned about her. It seems the 1-34-32 plant food I bought she doesn’t like. I don’t know what the deal is but she went from drinking 1gal+ every day to suddenly only 16oz or so. For some odd reason she’s not liking the new food. I have been giving her straight water for about 4 days now and she just doesn’t seem to be drinking much anymore. From how the plant looks I know there’s still another month yet, probably more before she gets close to being done. I am going to try the 10-30-20 ferts again even if they make her a bit more leafy; at least she liked those nutes. You can also see the LB heritage taking over. At this stage in flowering there’s no way any other variety would be pushing out new growth like she is. When I look back at the beginning of flowering I can say that my DJ lady easily stretched 20x just like they said LB strains tend to do. You can see that the buds have branched out considerably and those little branches are trying to fill out. What a beast. Anyways here she is:

The biggest changes this week come from moving almost every single plant outside. The reason behind this is I found out I had a spider mite invasion. Some of the clones which I had taken from the offgrid site must have had a few mites on them when I brought them into the cloner. Fortunately it looks like I caught everything in time, as only the clones were affected. All of the healthy original parents showed no signs of infestation. I will be diligent and make sure they don’t come back though! I’m a little scared for my DJ lady… with such a long flowering time I would hate to have a harvest ruined by bugs that’s taken so long to grow.
For those curious how I am fighting the infestation I have a product called PureCrop1 and it’s basically an oil you can coat your plants with that protects them from bugs and parasites. In addition to that when the plants were dripping wet from that, I also sprinkled D.earth all over the plants. The D.earth has clung to the oil giving each plant a little bit of a barrier to bugs. It only took 1 application to remove 95% of the bugs initially.

Anyways the plan moving forward has changed a bit too. I have almost all of my plants outside now, and some of them I am 100% won’t finish in my location. I just don’t have the environment for a tropical sativa. So my plan is to remove every male from the group, except for DB#1. He’s going to be the sultan that pollinates them all. Most of the plants outside got battered over the last several days of 100 degree weather with 60 mph winds. Almost destroyed my babies!

These are about it for what I have inside now, other than the DJ lady. I do have 2 SubterFreak and 10 Menthol Skunk seeds germinating which aren’t pictured. I’m looking for a pinnate-type male to breed to my BerryFreak lady. Additionally I wouldn’t mind finding a minty Menthol Skunk specimen to try!

Here’s the new setup for the outdoor stuff! Not the most fancy but it works.

9 Giant Pur Purs:

I may select two females from this bunch to keep, but I’m not sure yet. It will depend on what phenos are female and which are male. I’m hoping that the pure lanceolate specimens turn out female, because those are what I’m most interested in.

1 poor Duckweb hammered by the wind:

1 poor Imperium X hammered by the wind:

V9 Tigers:

Bastards:

5 Quacks on the left and 2 Drunks on the right. My #1 male is going nuts so I’m hopeful for good F1 seeds!

The biggest of the bunch:

Here we have 1 Freakshow (top left), 1 BerryFreak (bottom left) and 2 F1 poly-hybrids.

Last but not least we have all the Lagkitan babies in fresh dirt!

Most of these individuals were quite sticky, even though they aren’t flowering yet. My goal here is to get F1 seeds with the DB male and select my keeper phenos. I’m hoping I will have enough time before the frost comes to select my keeper phenos and collect F1 seeds. I will be taking clones of every specimen today so that I can hold onto all the plants, until I’m ready to select my keepers.

6 Likes

Update time! This is going to be a decent one.
First we have the flowering Double Jam. Looks like I got a tropical Lambsbread pheno. I have sampled her flowers now and must say it’s quite incredible, but my tolerance requires me to smoke quite a bit of it to get blazed. I’m hoping that since I harvested that bud around week 12-13 that it still has more to offer in terms of potency. The high is really euphoric and quite incredible. It lasts between 2-3 hours and just makes you feel good about life. Your whole body feels electric and just at peace at the same time. It’s quite blissful. The taste is like pineapple in my opinion. It’s quite tropical and delicious! This strain has the added benefit of making the sun feel like a warm cozy blanket instead of a giant blistering hot oven. I noticed that on both occasions when I smoked the DJ that it was 95F (35C) and hot out. On both occasions this strain made me feel like the sun felt good instead of burning my skin. Everything about this strain reminds me of a beach or someplace very tropical. The way it grows it’s a true monster. It needs tons of space, both above and below. I have named this particular lady, “Wildflower”

My particular pheno seems like it’s from the 18-22 week variety. We are on day 101 (Week 14 and a few days). You can see she’s quite a beast! Those tops that grew right into the light have been clipped. There’s one in the back that’s grown probably 5 inches or so past the light that I’ll clip when I go in there and remove all the fan leaves that she’s extracted nitrogen from. No matter where she is at, come Sept 24 I will be clipping her. At that point will be Day 141. I do believe she is in the ‘finishing’ mindset now that I’ve turned lights down to 11/13. She’s drinking a lot more than normal so I know she’s packing on the buds now. In another 10 days I’m going to decrease again to 10.5/13.5 and likely leave her there to finish. The 11/13 seems to be working as far as throwing her into flower production instead of ‘reflower’ production.

I have her in veg form here:

I will outcross her to Drunken Bastard, in a way which I hope will maintain her beautiful wildflower structure, while also integrating the ABC mutant leaf shape into the line. It may seem strange to some, to make a really slow veg strain mix with a very long flowering sativa but I don’t care how long it takes, it’s a plant I want to create! I’m hoping to find some recessive terpene profiles, but if what I find is mostly fruity (DB = blueberry & DJ=pineapple) then I will just have to select the best of what I find and be happy!

If anyone is interested here is the breeding pedigree I wish to do: (P1=DJ, P2=DB)
P1+P2=F1
P1+F1=BX1
BX1+F1=F2
F2+F2=F3

In addition to all that, I’m also going to hit it with some Lagkitan pollen and then probably keep those seeds for the vault. Not sure though because I’m sure that would be a wonderful cross. Might have to explore that one a bit if I feel the Lagkitan high needs to be blended with the Jamaican. Time will tell on that front!

I guess on that note I can discuss the outdoor stuff. I will transplant some of the earlier flowering varieties into 3 gallon containers here in the next few days (mostly mutants). I feel like the Lagkitan aren’t going to finish properly, so what I’m going to do is also take clones of everything and get them rooted for flowering once the DJ finishes. When the DJ finishes I’m throwing the Lagkitan rooted clones into the flower tent and doing the repro where they can finish properly. By that time, I hope to have a general idea of what phenotypes I’m working with, as well as the gender of most specimens (from the outdoor plants). The outdoor plants I’m really hoping to have some crosses which have DB as the father. Those are:
BerryFreak x DB
Duckweb x DB
Giant Pur Pur x DB
V9 Tiger x DB
Imperium X x DB
and maybe possibly the scorpion pheno of Lagkitan if I can pull off the timing correctly.

Before I blab on too long let me show a picture LOL

I plan on culling all mutant fathers, but I may also take some pollen from each first and then pollinate a separate branch on the Lagkitan scorpion pheno. I haven’t decided yet. It’s coming up quick though so I need to decide!

I’m going to post a couple of photos of my second location which I don’t manage those plants. Just have to show another one of the F1 crosses I want to have seeds of by the end of the year:

We have (from left to right): BerryFreak, Invictus male #1, Duckweb, Invictus male #2, and finally Drunken Bastard #11. First off, this pheno of Drunken Bastard has shocked me how tall it is! I would have never imagined it would get that tall. Second, this F1 outcross is intended to give me mutant F1 crosses with a strain that’s said to have really high cannabinoid levels (talking 29%+ THC under experienced hands). I’ve ran a couple of AFC strains now and have to back them as a breeder. They charge high prices because their plants deliver, just my two cents. Anyways here’s a picture of the corresponding Invictus females.

When I was doing some routine trimming on them, I noticed first off that the leaves are primarily sativa looking to me. They look like a blend but it’s more on the sativa side. Many phenos also have this beautiful red veining on the undersides of the leaves. In addition to that, this is easily the stickiest strain I’ve ever grown. I had to clean my trimmers idk how many times. I brought 3 pairs for 9 plants and I must have cleaned each at least twice.

Anyways when these come down I think we will be doing a Menthol Skunk run and pheno hunt over there. On that note, to keep things flowing… I also started some Menthol Skunk seeds! It’s from the same creator of BerryFreak (still my favorite smoke hands down). Supposedly it’s the same father as BerryFreak it was just an earlier flowering big Menthol specimen that created Menthol Skunk while a different mom created BerryFreak. It appears like they are correct in saying a few pinnate leaf types per pack.

In the photo with the bigger plant, that one is a deeply serrated pheno Menthol skunk that I germinated before the other 10. The yellow one is a variegated V9 Tiger that’s been much slower growing than it’s siblings outside. Funny to think about the size difference now. The two mutants in the middle are SubterFreak F3 (Subt 1 & Freakshow combined).

Here I have DJ on the left, DB1 next to her. The two big ones along the top are Invictus and Imperium X. The small normal one in the middle is also an Invictus, one I rooted due to it’s stickiness. I haven’t decided whether I want to keep females of that strain or not, since it’s basically a 5-way mashup between 5 Cali strains. I’m hoping once the clones of everything root, that I’ve made up my mind on them. The last poor little sickly plant in the direct middle is DB#11 which unfortunately got attacked by spidermites. The spidermites intervention almost killed this poor little clone. I do believe with that little bit of green on top that she will recover given enough time. I think it’s going to take 6 months, and ultimately I’ll need to start another clone for a keeper. I really want her to pull through because I haven’t had a chance to flower her yet and she’s the only one with the ‘tall phenotype’. I also believe that it may be one of the purple specimens too, due to the stem coloration even when it’s 95f (35C) out.

In summary, I’m going to make 2 different F1 crosses outdoors this year. 1 will be with Drunken Bastard as the male and all the females will be mutants and possibly Lagkitan. The second will be Invictus as the male, and 3 of the mutants are female, with maybe the possibility of Invictus F2s as well. During this time, I hope to sex/select my phenos from Lagkitan and have clones rooting, ready for the repro. When DJ finishes flowering, the Lagkitan will be flowered(seed repro) indoors. Also on Sept 24 the Invictus will come down which will then open the space for the Menthol Skunk to be selected from. Ideally I want to save a pinnate-type that’s representative of the “BerryFreak 7s Big Menthol” mom. If one of the deeply serrated phenos impresses me, I may hang onto one of those too. All mutant males moving forward will be culled. I want to explore several of my other normal cannabis varieties before really committing to breeding. I have several landrace, as well as modern hybrids that I would like to try before devoting my life’s work to breeding ultimate mutants!

11 Likes

that DJ looking jungly :grin::grin:

2 Likes

Alright! Here’s another update for the books… another interesting one I hope!

Let’s begin with Wildflower. She’s on day 108 today (week 15 + 3 days). I have begun slowly taking lower buds that look like they’re maturing. I’ve never seen a plant do this before but the calyxes on this lady are turning yellow? To me that seems a sign of N deficiency but at this stage in flowering I haven’t given her any nitrogen for several weeks. Not sure I really should either honestly. My readers may find this frustrating but I may end up pulling her before the end of week 17. I’ll explain later when I discuss the outdoor plants… anyways here she is:

Here are a couple of bud shots of buds I’ve taken. The one on the top set I estimate will be at least 15-18g dry.

Next we’ll go over the plants in the veg tent because they’re honestly giving me fits, but in a good way. It’s definitely a learning experience here. First things first, I’ve been battling black spider mites. They first showed up several weeks ago on the clones that were rooting at the time. Since then, most of the clones have taken off into healthy plants except a couple which got completely infested with the mites. The plants most affected are Drunken Bastard #11 and BerryFreak. I believe the leaf shape with ABC allows the mites a lot more protection than a traditional cannabis leaf, so I think ABC is actually more susceptible to the mites unfortunately. As for BF it’s similar to ABC in that the mites have an easier time due to the leaf shape, however I don’t think BF is more susceptible to the mites because her internode spacing is larger. All the plants affected are:
BerryFreak
Drunken Bastard #1 & #11
Invictus #1 & 2
Imperium X

All the unaffected plants are:
Menthol Skunk
V9 Tiger #1
Double Jam **
SubterFreak F3

Either way, to combat the mites I covered them in sulfur powder. It was recommended to me by a good friend so I’m trying it out after the PureCrop1 with D.earth didn’t rid me of the damn mites. They’ve been sitting for about 4 days completely coated in sulfur until today when I gave them all a bath and tried to remove what little webbing I could find. I’m hoping I don’t have to reapply the sulfur several times. I don’t mind the smell of pure organic sulfur but the mess with the powder is getting old. My tent looks like a coke head’s coffee table.
Here they are after the bath:

The Menthol Skunk seedlings on the left are starting to really take off! I have 5 pinnate individuals and 6 heavily serrated phenos. I believe I will end up keeping the 5 pinnate and discarding the rest. Not sure though…

Last we have the outdoor stuff!

This is where my plants have me completely baffled at what I should be doing with them. Some are beginning to show sex already and others are still holding out. In the next week or two, I hope to have much more concrete plans for my Wildflower, the Lagkitan, and all my mutants. The deciding factor here is if I end up getting a Lagkitan male. So far it’s not looking like I’ll get one. If this is the case, expect all my plans to change on the fly. All my current plans are hinged on finding a Lagkitan male for a seed repro. If this doesn’t happen, I’m not sure what I’ll do, but it will likely be making my DJ x DB dream cross. Now that I know the DJ lady naturally repels spider mites on her own, I’m even more excited to mix those genetics together!

Either way, I’m extremely undecided on which plants to keep and what to breed with, so my updates in the next month may be quite interesting!

8 Likes

Time for a refresher! Oh how things are moving this time of year…

Time for a refresher! Oh how things are moving this time of year…

Indoor local:
Top of veg tent:

Bottom of veg tent:

Clone chamber:

Flowering tent:

In the veg tent I have: Menthol Skunk 1-11, DJ, DB1, DB11, SF1, SF2, I1, I2, IX, and my lovely variegated V9T. I haven’t decided when this is going to happen but eventually I will sort through the Menthol Skunk and select my keepers. Not sure how I’m going to manage all this once the clones root… guess I’ll figure it out when I get there! LOL…
For clones I took: DB11, Invictus (male), Double Jam, Duckweb, Giant Pur Pur (true pur pur), and one of each Lagkitan specimen. I know the Lagkitan will be able to be flowered in the big tent, so I’m not too worried about space concerns at the moment.

The DJ girl I plan on pulling down in a day or two. She seems ready to me, since I’ve been tapering down nutrients for a while. I do have a strong suspicion that if I gave her 1000ppm bloom nutrients with nitrogen, she would explode with new growth. I think these plants are accustomed to just growing and growing and never really quitting until they’re chopped down. I’ve decided it’s time for this run. Not only am I going to take multiple cracks at growing this beauty, I’m also going to be using her as a P1 in some breeding work over the next several years. I want to combine her flower structure and effects with the Drunken Bastard (ABC). Not only will the terpene profiles of both plants compliment each other, DB also has some very sativa flowers, which I think could be improved upon with the DJ flower structure. I’m hoping I can create a blended hybrid with the ABC leaf type but having DJ flowers which really foxtail and don’t stop growing. DB is a bit more potent in the THC department, as well as containing 2% or so CBD. I’m thinking there should be some really good offspring if I can blend the two cultivars together well.

Outdoor local:

I have begun pulling mutant males as they show up. I will pull all males until two remain: Lagkitan and DB1. DB1 is going to pollinate a bunch of mutants and give me some solid F1 seed to sort through. However, it’s highly likely that I won’t get to many of these F1s for years, due to all my extreme plans hahaha… As for the Lagkitan male, I’m REALLY REALLY tempted to blast all my plants with D.earth and sulfur powder and then bringing them inside to finish in the tent. This would result in a much faster repro for the Lagkitan. I would then be able to keep select which clones to keep and discard the rest. I’m going to think on it good for the next couple of days before the DJ comes down. Then all the mutants would be free to be pollinated by DB1 with absolutely no risks of contamination. I would hate to take 2-3 years down the road and trying to get recessive leaf types to show, only to have Lagkitan genetics instead of mutant genetics.

Lastly we have the offsite location.
Outdoors:

Indoors:

Indoors we have 9x Invictus girls. They’re extremely loud and probably the most resinous plant I’ve ever cultivated. We may consider revegging the one we like the most… but I’m doubtful. Even though these may take the bar for best plants we’ve grown, I’m not sure about really working with these as a breeding tool. It’s a 5-way cross between modern poly-hybrids. That said, I am trying to root a male for kicks. On the outdoor plant we have a couple of huge Invictus males set in between the mutants. Hoping to get a few hundred F1s from each (mutant x Invictus) cross. Again, not sure when I can sprout them but I do plan on working these lines individually at some point… with the first cross being DJ x DB of course. One cross which sounds divine to me is Menthol Skunk x Invictus. They both have menthol/mint terpenes which should compliment each other nicely. MS is a high yield strain, and I is a high THC strain. Should be some good things in that cross too!

Anyways that’s about it for now! Next update will likely be a Double Jam bud porn update.

13 Likes

This is right up my alley. I don’t know how i missed this thread. I must have been stoned or something. :rofl:

3 Likes

Here’s a few of my bastards. These are all Pine Tar Bastards

This one is practically invisible among the cover crop. It looks like the flowers are just getting started.

13 Likes

@PineTarBastard - I assume this is Pine Tar Kusk x ABC? If so that’s freakin’ awesome! I have heard through the grapevine more and more people have hybrid x mutant crosses with stabilized mutant leaf types. This absolutely thrills me because collectively we can bring the mutants into the modern age in terms of potency and desirable plants. Thank you for sharing! I do have to ask though… what are your plans with it moving forward? I hope you continue to work on it and improve it!

Love your raised bed with the little bastards hiding in plain sight! It looks like the plant in the second photo is going to have the highest yield. Pretty impressive calyx ratio and the pistils are quite plentiful!

I would assume these have a strong pine smell to them? They look like ABC hybrids for sure, the growth is a lot more like a normal plant than the small bush structure of ABC.

All in all I have to say really cool to see! Please share updates as flowering commences! Best time of the year :wink:

2 Likes

@crunkyeah Thank you for your kind words. I began with a Subterfuge#1 backcross that i call Portuguese Parsley(PP) and crossed it to a PineTarKush i had that kind of grows like a beast. The PTK mom has a strong pinesol taste/terps that kind of coats your tongue. I took the cross to F3 and crossed it back to the PTK mom and have taken that to the F2/F3. So the result is 75%PTK and 25%PP. I’m calling this the 2nd generation, but it’s a 1st backcross, twice removed(i hope that made sense)That’s what i have growing outside this year.
Last summer i had one that was crazy productive. I stopped harvesting after filling up 3quart size jars, and still had a bunch left on the plant. ABC’s seem to be cold tolerant and this one ran until mid-December, surviving multiple freezing nights. Not only was it very productive, but the buds were much more dense than the Subterfuge#1 or the PP, which was a goal of mine. The Subterfuge#1 and PP both had limey-piney terps, and mixed well with the PTK in the resulting crosses. I believe there’s some pics on this thread: Pine Tar Bastard’s Outside Grownanza

6 Likes

@PineTarBastard You’re quite welcome! That one you grew out looked awesome. Was it as good to smoke as it was to see? :grin: It looks like you’ve done well with it. Kudos!

I think I understand. You have the PP+PTK cross taken to F3, and then you backcrossed that back again into PTK and taken that to F3 as well. Correct? If that’s the case you’ve done a very fine job of selecting the ABC types to keep it locked in, while getting as much as you can from the other strain.

How much time has this taken for you to do? I want to do an ABC cross with a 17 week sativa (crazy I know :crazy_face: ) I imagine it should take around the same length of time to get the plant that I’m seeking to create.

2 Likes

@crunkyeah Yes, you’ve got it. I’ve been working on the Pine Tar Bastard project for three years now, pretty much non-stop, often timing this project with my Purple Auto Bastard(PAB) project, so that i was pollinating 6-8 weeks apart. I stopped the PAB project earlier this year as I wasn’t happy with what i was getting most of the time.
The PAB project was my 2nd attempt at an auto bastard, and i am revisiting the first attempt, which I call the 19Z project. The 19Z is a cross of Subterfuge#1 x Spyderweb, both of which are IBLs.
Seeds just popped a few days ago. These are the F2xF1 with the F2 being a normal leaf auto. I also have another 10 seeds i just dropped into dirt this afternoon.

So far, i am not liking what i am seeing. I have a theory that when we breed a ducksfoot and an abc, the F1 will look like a normal leaf, but it is in fact carrying the recessive gene for the ducksfoot and the recessive gene for the abc. When we make F2s, we should get 25% with two recessive ducksfoot genes, 25% with two recessive abc genes and 50% that has one of each recessive gene, but those will look like a normal leaf.

If i am correct, by crossing the F1 with a “normal leaf” F2, i should have 25% ducksfoot, 25% abc, and 50% normal leaf. I believe i see early signs of a couple of ducksfoot, but none of them look like the typical early abc leaves. They are very distinct and look nothing like the early cannabis leaf. As an aside, 50% should be auto.
If anyone disagrees or has another theory, please share.

5 Likes

@PineTarBastard - I have a strain which I’ve removed the 3 males and kept the 2 females. It’s called Quack Bastard and it’s in F4 generation. When I was doing research when it was available, I found out in the Duck x ABC cross, the webbed ABC leaves showed up in a small portion of the ABC types (25%). If I recall correctly I remember reading out of 100 plants they got ~25 ABC ~25 Duck and ~50 regular. It was within the 25% ABC plants that they found 8 plants showing webbed ABC leaves. It’s kind of unfortunate that they weren’t able to run higher numbers to see if they could find better specimens. 8 still though was awesome, considering how recessive it must be to be 8/100.

I think you’re spot on there. One thing which makes me wonder though is this:
Let’s say you select a ‘normal’ F2 which you believe to carry recessive traits from both mutants, and then breed that to another F2 which is ‘normal’… how much of those recessive phenotypes are going to show up in F3? How many of each type are you going to get in the F3 generation?

Since you’re inbreeding them, you’re isolating more genes that are like them, and less genes of the mutant leaf types, as I see it. It would seem a lot more likely that you would be taking that mutant + mutant line and turning it into a regular cannabis line. As you get further away from the original P1 mutant parents, it will be increasingly difficult to pull those traits if you don’t grab them at F2 imo.

If I were you I would try Sebring’s method for combining 2 lines (19Z project). It goes like this:
P1+P2=F1
P1+F1=BX1
BX1+F1=F2
F2+F2=F3

I’m actually going to break this down as I understand it, because I think this could be a very handy breeding pedigree to invoke recessive phenotypes and new mutant leaf types into the cannabis genome. The P1 cross is nothing special, first outcross. F1 is 50/50. Then you backcross to the original P1 (to lock in desirable traits). BX1 is 75/25. The magic is in this next cross. BX1+F1. In this theoretical “F2” you have the most recessive types from the P1, and the XY side is capable of creating the same mutants with a regular F1, so you’re getting even more recessive types from the P1, along with the possibility of the mutations from the F1.

In this case, I would have the P1 be the normal leaf auto, and then work the pedigree like that, focusing on trying to introduce the auto aspect first, then search for the autobastard in the “F2” generation. Just my two cents!

6 Likes