My Bubble hash making tech

the hunk still weighs 50 grams, there’s a lot of drying left to do. Once it stops losing weight, it’s dry.

2 Likes

That’s hanging on to the water with a death grip…

Cheers
G

been dropping weight nicely, down to 36 grams. I’ll put it in the dehydrator for a few min to help it along at 35C. You have to be really careful or it will melt into a blob. Once the hash is freeze dried I think it’s melting point is 20C he hhe I can melt it by squeezing it with the tip of the scissors. I try to only expose the outer layer to the air, or else it’ll darken up.

ok after an overnight purge using the dehydrator it’s settled at 35 grams. So, total dry weight was 115+35=150 grams total. That places it at 23% yield from dry material. Pretty decent I’d say! Every 4 grams of buds equals a gram of hash Or 24 grams of wet buds equals a gram of hash. Next in line is solvent extraction. Oh yah, friendly reminder I’m not making this shit up - let me demonstrate :wink:

Sparkles!!!

3 Likes

I know I’ve seen lots of people dreaming…and I mean dreaming, of having their own still. To brew over proof alcohol…make hash oil…or whip up that batch of essential oils you’ve been wanting. For 50$ you can make your own still… a still that will amaze and confuse people about how it works. Simple thermodynamics, my friends! I will make a separate thread to describe it and take photos of the parts. I made an industrial still for 100$…but someone stole it. Fuckers. Coulda paid me for my hard work and ingenuity. They wanted to steal all of my stills, they’re worth like 400$! So now, I just have my wally world still - I call 'er old reliable. And, I will teach you how it’s made.

1 Like

posted a thread on making a primitive still from wall-e-world/hardware store parts. I know it’s not some kind of cool looking science gizmo - instead it’s distillation at cut rate prices :wink: people stole my cool looking ones. But…I suppose I can make a new industrial one, but it’s like a honeypot…to these “borrowers” who make off with your shit. Nobody wants to borrow the shitty one! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

In this photo I demonstrate why I never expose all surfaces of the hash for drying. The outside of the cookie turns a dark reddish from oxidation, I suspect. But inside… you can see it’s like one of those chocolate mint cookies. The inside layers are never exposed to the outside world…until I melt them :slight_smile: uhh photos didn’t make it. somehow. I’ll try again later, this rain is hell on the link.

2 Likes

let me try again!

it…worked! after forever! I will try resetting the link. You can see the two different kinds of hash crumb there. Orangeish and yellowishee or somethingish inside.

7 Likes

Do you think that is oxidation from air or something else with the drying process? There seems to be a measurable thickness to it.

Cheers
G

1 Like

excellent question! I have noticed that when I used buds to make the hash that are dried already - when the hash dries - it’s the same darker color through the entire chunk when I break it open. If I use fresh green buds and dry the hash in a patty like that it always is light color inside and darker outside. Also!!! if I quick dry the hash it stays light colored even on the outside. It’s when it takes a week to dry it changes to a darker color.

crud I forgot if I freeze dry it, it stays light colored as well.

2 Likes

I remember seeing temple balls back in the mid 70’s like that, black on the outside and dark brown inside. It all smoked fine!

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I’ve been pondering something strange. OK so if I smoke 4 grams of weed I just inhaled a gram of hash. Or take 4 tablespoons of tincture I just ingested a gram of hash or 4 grams of weed. The real question on my mind is…could I really take 4 tablespoons, smoke 4 grams or inhale a gram of hash?? woah. Also 1 gram of hash is 4 grams of weed?? man, what have I been smoking?? those numbers seem ludicrous. But…they are the numbers I got…nuts. One day I’ll have to get a gram of hash and cut it into single servings then see if I can actually rip an entire gram in a single day. Ohh what a day that’ll be!

2 Likes

Smooth sailing brother!

Cheers
G

1 Like

oh my! got out the toolz and gathered some observations!

I got the other side as well.

I try and zero in on an area close to the bud, then cut a little sample. Or more samples, whatever floats my boat. Taking lots of samples and looking at different things is fun and exciting!!!

3 Likes

well according to what I call…the camera focus eyeball test, the king tut should be twice as good as the sugar black rose in terms of yield. Not nearly as good as the big bud.
I use somewhat-not-radical approach of zooming in with the microscope then using the camera to snap a photo using the same settings. Then I count all the trichome heads that are in-focus in the image. LOL! then I make my somewhat educated guess on the yield potential. Then! I do the hash run and collect the empirical data to see if my theory has any predictive power. Lack of it making accurate predictions about the outcome means it’s a flawed theory.

1 Like

oh I forgot, the king tut outcome isn’t one of the predictions, I’ve already done that test. But I never got super hard data to compare the black rose or king tut at a fundamental level to the big bud. Was never really interested in boring into the bedrock of the data because I guess I never cared. I mean, it was obvious which made the better and more grams of hash. The data gathering runs are just for fun! But now, since I have a theory to test, I need more solid data I can stand on.

2 Likes

That sounds like a reasonable sampling method to start.

Cheers
G

1 Like

here’s my pride and joy. Part of my home laboratory! capable of 1600x phase contrast.

8 Likes

That is a sweet piece of kit!!

Cheers
G

1 Like