My Bubble hash making tech

I had a strange thought. I wonder if the ratio of trichome stalk to head size is the reason some hash blows and other hash is melty and awesome. Wouldn’t it stand to reason that a trichome 10x taller would have 10x more stalk material per gram than the other? It’s a falsifiable hypothesis, but I don’t want to do that one. Requires making shitty hash. We’ll see how the data pans out, then decide if it’s in the realm of possibility or falsified by the data right away.

You should change your moniker to Doc Brown

1 Like

heh heh my secret identity name is way more humorous and fitting than that. One day… I’ll just bust it out on my microscope photos in the corner I’ll have my secret identity stamped there. Then I can’t be the symbol this city needs… Mysterion.

Recharge the jar!

ok I got another measurement. This time it’s king tut! I measured it at 15 trichomes per 200micrometers.
my next victim is meat breath. There’s not much difference… I should make sure and zoom and count them and stuff, perhaps my method needs refinement.

1 Like

I made some weed infused everclear with a few ounces in mason jars for 2 months. I tried making gummy candies but managed to fail with that and accidentally made weed everclear jello, lol. I’ve been looking at a bubblegum recipe that i’m tempted to try.

1 Like

They’re going crazy with the tincture over at “Not just another Tincture Thread” if you are looking for tips or solvent transfer ideas. I haven’t done anything fancy with mine except put a few tablespoons in a shot glass and toss that back. Phew! After a couple hundred milligrams of THC I’m lovin’ life!

I’ve made cookies before. But now it seems like just another step to perform before it’s in my brain.

3 Likes

Ingesting it does transform it to delta-11-hydroxy-THC in the liver. So that is a bit different of a high FWIW.

1 Like

hah hah you’re telling me… that friend of mine who took 5 tablespoons hallucinated! I am busy making another hash batch! This one is going to be a solid micro planed water batch of rosin, or whatever the fuck you want to call it. I’ll roll it up into small balls for the medical patients. Meanwhile I’m smoking some freeze dried hash! It’s the reward I give myself for making another batch lol! That new drill I got works so much better than the old one. It doesn’t making lots of noise and shoot sparks and wobble around like it’s fucked up. I can’t wait…to get a new set of bubble bags. Oh that’s coming down the pipe just like that amscope did.

2 Likes

ok this batch was a doozey, check it out!

hopefully I did a really good job planing that shit in the water. We’ll see tomorrow!

4 Likes

well…it’s almost dry? I think perhaps 5 tablespoons could be too much to evaporate overnight. I should have done it in individual batches that all dried overnight. Well! It was a good run we shall see how long it takes to evaporate, I should have got the fan on it to speed things along. I wonder if the extended length will make a color change? ooooo! At least I can extract some data.

1 Like

hrummm…hmm hmm… ok well I counted 19 trichomes per 200 micrometers. uhh well also the meat breath has really tall trichomes as well. Just some images to ponder.

I turned the light down huge to reduce glare, I should have rotated the sample.

2 Likes

notice how close in size all the trichomes are in all the images? With more data samples I can probably say a trichome is like aBOUT 12 micrometers across in general, they only vary by a few microns.

1 Like

ok I have a different idea. Hopefully this one is more realistic than the 200 micron line. Once I re-calibrate the microscope…I will draw a rectangle that is X micrometers squared and count the trichomes. Something is up with the edge of the leaf I think it’s got a curl to it. I need something more 2 dimensional for the count, like a flat square of bud leaf right next to the stalk, probably 100x100 micrometers?

1 Like

Is the stalk of the trichome not as good as the head?

Are you trying to get just the heads?

If so, wonder what process might enable that separation more consistently?

Also, I am very interested in your water suspension rosin technique… have you tried suspending the hash straight from collection while it is still wet, or do you “freeze dry” it first?

1 Like

definitely do it fresh from the bags or else it probably won’t join together into a single layer like that. The stalk is garbage debris, the guy who discovered THC was the active ingredient, also knew it came from the trichome caps. No THC synthesis in the stalk as far as I know. I was just curious about the garbage aspect of the sugar black rose. Each batch of hash I make looks the “same” so what about it determines if it’s garbage hash or good hash? I know it’s tied to the plant strain, but then since we’re harvesting trichomes for hash, what about the trichome makes it garbage hash? I was just speculating if the length of the stalk had anything to do with it, but it doesn’t seem to be the factor according to the microscopic images. For some reason, perhaps just coincidence, the biggest hash producer I have also has really short trichome stalks.

1 Like

ok! now, here’s the head scratch-er. How does this whole system work with the floating out of the hash? Please explain to me, I would like to know.

you saw me make this. But how does it work? I’m not sure…but it works!
When the trichomes are spread thinly and allowed to dry quickly they form a film instead of a chunk. Each one…stuck? gooed? something-ed to the other. And before you think to yourself… it’s just another lame pile of trichomes… check out this image:

Please to explain…how does the trichome mass, become a goo mass?

3 Likes

Just so everyone knows, I have another photo of the hash rosin. Hah hah even with the microscope photo and the parchment photo, some might still think I made it all up to be special. Of course, that means you don’t know me. You can take this idea and become an expert at it and even claim you thought it up - I don’t really care. But at least I can tell you what inspiration lead to this nuts shit. I would always dry my hash on the shelf which would lead to pools of water coming off the hash. I noticed after I had moved the plate a few times, this sticky layer would form on the parchment that I could scrape up and get wasted. Eventually I would just make a tiny bit like the freeze dried hash and use that to further my reputation lol! In the real world I was always representing, which leads to my nickname. So here’s a photo of me flexing the parchment to show the hash has dried to a sticky rosin that needs to be scraped up.

I will grab the edge with the scissors and slowly peel that up like a fruit rollup, it’s already starting to peel back at the edges by itself when I flex it back and forth.

4 Likes

Bubbleman has always said that the microplane will shred the trichome heads and not to do it. Matt Rize uses a microphone to make what he calls ice wax using the microplane.

My guess is the microplane shreds the trichome heads, then that oil acts as a solvent releasing more oil, etc. I would call it ice wax not rosin only because rosin implies heat and pressure.

1 Like

good call on the ice wax lol that’ll be a new one to people. Yah it does look like the trichome heads…leaked out goo…and became one with it. Except here’s the thing, in the past I never micro planed it, instead letting the pool form naturally underneath the hash. I am thinking there is something water soluble in there that leaches out after a bit then solidifies when it dries. It’s an idea based off the image of the single trichomes I made on the slide. Ever notice there is a “ring” of crud that encompasses the trichomes, it was left behind after the water evaporated. Or…or listen to this one…The trichome heads get burst open on some of them in the hash making and the terps leak out into the water then makes a goo with the trichomes? hmmmm gonna have to enter guru meditation on that one, see what happens after system reboot. <-- amiga joke.
You know also I can image that hash I micro planed see if it did shred things. Oh wait, I quick dried that as well. Probably not good for data, too many variables. Going to have to study that idea individually. Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

I know in high enough concentrations, terpenes can be a solvent. You could be onto something there.

2 Likes