My Return to Cannabis - Kashmir Azad Indoor Open Pollination

so out of love :frowning:

your plants look out of this world :slight_smile: love the green

and saw toothed leaves

thank you for the look and all the best

Dequilo

7 Likes

@Eudaemon sorry bro but i have to ask, what is the flooring under your plants? is it vinyl or is it laminate? what?

3 Likes

It’s laminate. I’m just… really careful. I’ve thought about the best ways to deal with it, a tarp or large tray, but decided the best course of action was just to use large saucers and be careful. It’s crazy, because that room has probably had the least amount of water spilled in it compared to the others.

6 Likes

@Eudaemon wow it really looks nice, thought it had to be vinyl, I always spill water lol

2 Likes

Your grow is coming along beautifully. Doesn’t look like you missed a beat getting your first grow going again.
I’m sorry to hear about your dog, I had to put both of mine down 6 weeks ago, had them 13 and 15 years, still feeling it every day. I still get moments that it hits me, like now thinking about it. I just hope to hold it together when it happens while I’m at work. Rather tough since I work at a big pet store and there’s alway dogs in there visiting, getting trained, or for grooming. The plants definitely do help.

10 Likes

Sorry to hear about your dogs @Seamonkey84. They become such a big part of our lives and families.

10 Likes

I am so discouraged. Several plants are showing what appear to be intersex traits and I am not sure what to do. I feel like this run is a wash in terms of seeds. Should I cull the males and try for a sinsemillia? So far, at least two of the larger plants are showing intersex traits, I think. I’ve attached a picture of the sex organs from one plant but different branches.

BUT, oddly, the plants that have those couple errant male preflowers only have 1-2 in specific lower areas of the plants. All new growth is female only. Not sure what that means.

10 Likes

better than having seeded hermie weed :slight_smile:

all the best

Dequilo

6 Likes

Since you have such a nice group of plants, I would cull the ones that show intersex traits.

This can happen with the landraces genetically or could also be tied to something like a light leak. Since the plants looks so beautiful and healthy, I don’t think it is a stress issue from PH.

I know how much you enjoy looking at them, make sure you are not interrupting their dark cycle at all. I know you also just made a light block foo the door. It may be that light was enough to trigger the male flowers.

If it were me, I would cull the ones showing both sexes, and watch the other pure developing males. I would likely still make some seeds from a couple males. Actually, this form of selections is ultimately how you strengthen a landrace line with those natural intersex tendencies.

5 Likes

Not for nothin, stress doesn’t turn plants hermie, it only identifies which plants are.

@Eudaemon 100% not your fault. Kill any and every hermie, male or female, and decide what to do from there.
The dude from generic seeds knew he had found hermie plants and dispersed the seeds anyway. There’s at least a half dozen of us who fell for the same bullshit.

Terrible fucking business practices. On the part of Generic Seeds and GLG, both.

If you’re interested I’ve got a male Azad Kashmir, not from progeny of Bodhi’s release, about to drop pollen right now. I could send you some pollen, or a cut. If a female-dominant hermie makes it through, tho, your seeds will still hold that trait, regardless of whether the father is pure.

11 Likes

in 20 years of inside growing it is one of the very first time I have heard that said

Thank You :slight_smile:

if it was the case I would never have a female plant in my room

as I have never meet a plant that I cannot stress out :wink:

all the best

Dequilo

12 Likes

Unfortunately, I am probably going to cull the males and try and make this run as sinsemillia as possible. I don’t want to run the risk of spreading genetics that weren’t properly bred. I can’t get rid of the hermie plants, because they’re two of the largest and what if some other females start showing intersex traits? Unfortunately, I need the flower from this run for medicinal purposes. If I am going to start culling the bulk of my plants, there’s still a chance the remaining females will hermie, and I can’t afford to cull them all because I need the flower.

What a shitty day.

10 Likes

Yeah that’s sad dude. They got a bunch of us — hook, line, and sinker — with no remorse.

8 Likes

Sorry to hear it man. I just killed 6 females a few weeks back for intersex traits, and I have at least 1 more that I won’t be keeping seeds from. It’s just facts of life when you’re trying to make seeds. There’s no sense in trying to make seeds that aren’t going to be worth your time. It’s easy to get caught up in the end goal, and get frustrated when the process takes more work than you initially thought. But in the end, all worthwhile things take time and effort. You wouldn’t feel accomplished if they didn’t.

Hang in there dude. Focus on enjoying the ride, and you won’t sweat the time it takes to get there.

10 Likes

Your words really helped me reframe and reshape my expectations and how I view the time investment–it isn’t a single run, but rather a culmination of effort over many runs. I have adjusted my expectations. My only regret is that I only have time to do 3 runs total before I leave. I wanted to cross the Azad with with another strain I am going to run next, but @Comacus already offered pollen and I am sure others have some, too, so I think I will still be able to make that cross yet. Also, there is one male in the grow I am deeply connected to. I am not sure if I can cull it. Its my favorite plant of all time. I might try and buy a pollen net to isolate it.

Truth be told, I didn’t go into this run with the intent to open pollinate or make seeds. I bought the seeds months ago just looking to grow medicine until I left for my journey. It was in researching those seeds that I purchased that I found Overgrow and a like minded community. It was only then that I realized that there were other people interested in this stuff and then I shifted the grow to do an open pollination. It’s why it seemed so ad hoc and improvised; it was supposed to be a six plant, female only grow.

With all that said, this run and these seeds will never be a failure. Even if I don’t get usable seeds to give away from the plants, researching these seeds lead me to a thread on another forum where @Craigson15 posted. That post led me to Overgrow and the community here has been welcoming and encouraging and that’s worth more than any seed run.

Edit: Sorry to call you out, @Craigson15. You were how I found OG.

15 Likes

On a lighter note (ha…), I found the strangest things on one of my plants, this strange kind of variegation on two leaves only.

I’ve gone from bummed to excited because of my variegated plant. It’s one of the females, so it stays! I am hoping the buds will be variegated. Can I further induce this mutation?

11 Likes

All I can say is that is pretty cool man. I. Glad to be around for it, seeds or not. It’s all about the intentions and the journey my friend.

3 Likes

I like mutants!!! @Eudaemon , whenever you need to ramble on, realize we all appreciate your efforts and look forward to reports from afar!!!

6 Likes

I would think so, yeah. All those variegated houseplants available in stores are the work of human intervention, so why not Mary.

If she’s not a hermie, the fastest route would be to self-pollinate her and look for the variegation in her offspring.

9 Likes

I’m not seeing male parts in those pics. I wouldn’t kill them so fast. Wait to be sure. Unless you’re seeing something I don’t see…I’d need a different angle to be sure, but I see female parts only. The 1st pic there are no male parts, just a calyx with no stigma attached. Pic 2 I can’t tell. I get those weird growths on my plants sometimes.(pic 1) you need to look higher up the plant for true sex parts.

7 Likes