My second season of outdoor growing

Neem? Spinosad? Don’t worry about it? I sprayed some neem about 10 days ago, about time to refresh it?

Autos are 32 days old (+/- a few, I didn’t record exact days for each strain) and starting to flower pretty uniformly, they’re all from different breeders. Top left is Critical Kush (BF), top right Super Lemon Haze (GH), bottom is Runtz XL (SS). I’m enjoying the early flowering, I’ll probably plant another run of some different strains in a month or so just because, maybe bump to 7 gallon pots and build better soil.

The 15 gallons are looking good too, left to right the Snow-G, Hella Jelly, Avenue of the Giants and SAD Fast. They’ve all been topped 3 times, so 8 main stems. Need to get them trained to poles soon, I’ll get to that this afternoon. Hopefully it will keep them reasonably discreet, not worried about my neighbors but nothing wrong with flying under the radar.

The 30 gallon girls are L-R, Dragon’s Hashplant and Hawaiian Snow.

6 Likes

Look at those beauties all lined up like soldiers :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Plants are looking great! Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

This is from Soma’s book,

8 Likes

LOL… :rofl:

I was reading through that again yesterday!..

Cheers
G

5 Likes

So that says to use neem up until 4th week of flower? I was planning to spray with BT starting in a few weeks.

I am most concerned about my autos - they are getting eaten by the grasshoppers pretty noticeably.

Anyway, autos are in second-third week of flower, but could definately use some pest control. Can I spray with neem still or keep those clean? Neem it is on the photos for several more weeks. I’ll up the frequency to maybe every 5 days. On a 2-week (14-day) schedule now, and it’s working but things aren’t pest-free. I haven’t sprayed the autos since I first noticed preflowers several weeks ago, and those are definately getting more bug activity than the rest.

I’ll post pics this evening, garden looks quite different since some training and trimming.

1 Like

I usually spray neem every 4 days for 3 treatments… a complete neem cycle… then captain Jacks dead bug brew on the 15-16th day, then repeat.

3 Likes

It’s a great one, some cool stuff in there! Keep it by my bedside :sunglasses:

Did quite a bit of preliminary training/trimming/thinning at the base of the plants. It’s been 100ish for the last week, and pretty windy which is keeping them short. I’ll replace the poles with bigger ones down the road, each has 8ish tops. Goal is keeping them short and bushy, and I don’t want little buds all over I’m going to have to trim (that was a mistake last year, I didn’t do any sort of thinning, so tiny 1-2g buds all over the damn place). Considering building a windbreak to help with that aspect, the fence doesn’t help as much as I would have liked.

15 gallon ladies.

The thicker 30 gallon ladies.

Grasshopper leaf consumption, if it’s still safe, I’ll neem it tonight.

Photos are less bothered.

9 Likes

More pics. They’re looking pretty happy, I think. We’ve been getting some monsoon rain, so the yard flooded yesterday. Don’t know when I’ll have to water again, they’re wicking some from underneath I’m sure. Glad I made the elevated platform a few weeks ago, I sure made a muddy mess trying to get to them today.

Got my drain for a 27-gallon tote yesterday, so have been putting together my compost tea brewing system in the shed. I’ll be able to brew 10g at a time and easily dilute to 50% to put on the plants. Looking forward to trying that.

7 Likes

Noticed my SAD Fast is already flowering. My understanding is that “Fast” varieties are Auto-Photo hybrids with a slightly shorter flower time and start flowering early.

Didn’t really expect it THIS early. The plant is about 8 weeks old total, and has spent the last 6 weeks or so outside. Figured maybe a couple weeks after solstice it would start. Is this a problem or am I just going to be finishing in August on this girl?

5 Likes

It may do a little reveg but most of the time they kind of stay in flower, i bet harvest will be in August. I put plants in the ground in mid May and they didnt go into flower, but some years they start to, but usually kick out of it by solstice, yours is kind or far along in flower.

1 Like

Here’s this years.

9 Likes

Nice, what variety is that?

My other photos aren’t flowering, it’s just this “Fast” strain that flowered unexpectedly. It’s fast alright :rofl:

OK, so I’m about on the same page there then, just ride it out and I’ll probably have a nice early harvest. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Yeah sometimes its better to have a couple plants harvest early. Less mold issues and you dont have to harvest all at once.
You’ll notice the reveg with the one or 3 fingered leaves.
This variety is Pear Zkittlez, its a runtz x sweet heirloom afghan then crossed to Zkittlez. I made these fem beans in 2020. Zkittlez doesn’t have the best bag appeal, but the aroma from this strain is wonderful.

1 Like

Looking forward to having the autos in a month or two, and the SAD Fast is several times larger. It’ll be a nice test of my dry/cure cabinet. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow when it stops raining.

In other news, it’s been raining for about a week straight. Generally, this has been beneficial. Most of the plants are thriving and have grown a few inches a day. The Hawaiian Snow has also been growing like mad, but it’s getting some twisted new leaves growing. The rain has kept the soil continuously moist, so I’m paranoid about getting some root issue. The soil isn’t wet, it’s just generally moist. It feels like it usually does a few hours after I would water. Maybe it’s fine.

My tea brewer is full of water that’s de-chlorinating with the new pump/airstone rig, hopefully they’ll like some tea in a couple days with some beneficial microbes. Guy at the localish shop sold me some Great White and Recharge to get the soil loaded with goodies until I get more into the compost tea game (there’s a lot of different ingredients to acquire in the recipes). It sounded like this would be a good way to safeguard the plants from detrimental soil things happening.

The humidity is averaging around 50-60%, a stark change from 10 days ago, it’s been about 10-20% RH for their entire lives to this point. Is this something to worry about? It should dry out in a few days and return to more nominal conditions. I’m hoping it’s just environmental stress with the crazy bump in RH for the last week.

-------------NEXT ISSUE---------
I’ve got some ghost peppers in small pots in a totally different area of the yard, that have just been struggling the whole time (since May). I don’t know what to try: I started with no food, little bit of food, little bit of kelp, nothing seems to help. The leaves are patchy and get these crispy edges. I’d appreciate a direction with these guys, I have no idea. Some disease or something? All the ghost peppers have it, but none of the other cultivars of peppers are suffering this ailment.

2 Likes

Spent the morning taking care of the yard, weed wacking the undesired weeds that popped up with the rain, and weeding the veggie raised beds. Mycorrhizae aerating away in the tea brewer, and started building the dry cabinet. It’s going to take shape over the next few days, and I’ll post those details in that thread.

Photos of the ladies (the stakes are about 2-3’ above the soil level):

Left to Right: Snow-G, Hella Jelly, Avenue of the Giants

Dragon’s Hashplant, Hawaiian Snow

Critical Kush, Runtz XL, Super Lemon Haze

SAD Fast[er than I expected]

I’ve segregated the already-flowering plants so they don’t get neemed during weekly sprays on the veg’n girls.

Things are starting to dry out a bit, which I’m going to let happen. They’ll get the myco brew when they start showing thirst.

6 Likes

Went out and neemed the vegging plants, it’s drying out and sunny again. The autos are loving it!

Runtz XL Auto

Super Lemon Haze Auto

Sweet Afghani Delicious Fast

8 Likes

Update time: Compost tea is brewin’, plants are crankin. I’ll take some pics of the photos tomorrow, out checking trichs on the autos. The SLH and Runtz XL autos are looking to be getting near the finish line. Mostly clear, small portion (<10%) cloudy at this point, so still a few more weeks. SLH is the fastest, and best looking at this point.

The tea is brewin’ for tomorrow. I like this setup with the tub, giant pump and 8 big stones. When they clog I’ll build one of those drilled hoops that fits the inside perimeter of the bottom.

Critical Kush Auto is the largest of the 3 autoflowers. And the least ripe. I’d guess at least a month on this girl.

Super Lemon Haze Auto is purpling and pretty. I expected the Runtz to have more color but this girl is looking good. Just starting to get cloudy heads, few more weeks. Runtz cola has more girth, but less attractive at this point in time.

6 Likes