My Water Culture

lol you can see one of my grey hairs there. OK the important part is blocking the light at this stage. If light and nutrient mix, all those seedlings WILL DIE. I’m not kidding around, that’s a solid rule. The crazy part is they don’t die right away, it takes a bit for the pathogens to flourish.

The really strange part is… when I fuse different plants of the same species, it seems like they can both exist on the same nutrient dose and it doesn’t need to be custom-ratio for each plant. We’ll see how it works out, I don’t usually fuse cannabis seedlings, only clones. So this is a first for the cannabis, but I did it lots with other plants.

1 Like

ok check, the seedlings are root in solution and feeding/surviving. They are going to make it with no extra fiddling around.

They’re growing! If you check on em every hour you can watch them grow!

5 Likes

another young bud. They are growing quickly! The large plant has gnawed down half the EC already, it’s at 1.5. I have to be careful not to let it drop too far or else the plant will suffer :slight_smile:

4 Likes

blah blah blah here’s the vegging meat breath plants!

The big plant is enjoying EC uhh well I was going to say 2.0 but it’s probably 1.6 by now. Notice how the larger plants in bloom can handle a way higher conductivity? Makes sense.

5 Likes

farrrrrk! The tiniest seedlings root wasn’t in the water. hah hah after all the obsessing I did over it, the root got tangled on one of the other plants, mere millimeters above the water. Hopefully there’s no permanent damage to the plant. We’ll see in a couple of hours! Anyways, the other plants roots have grown about a centimeter down to the bottom of the cup. In a couple of days I can lower the water level after that tri-cot plant either dies, or grows huge. Yah it’s got three cotyledons crazy!

1 Like

great news doc, the patient pulled through.

The tri-cot plant has made a full recovery and started growing again.
“…the sheer stubborn survivability of organic life, the heritage of built-in, bitten-down defiance that the long march of evolution has gifted you with.” - Richard Morgan

4 Likes

it’s actually quite amazing how the plant went from pile of shit to growing nicely in an hour. Shiiiit I forgot to take a photo of the plant when it was almost dried up. Oh well! Trust me, it’s stem was wiggly and the root it has was so dry it repelled water and was like the thinnest white thread. Dammit oh well. It definitely had gone downhill since I had gone to sleep last night. Oh wait here it is…silly me.

This photo is when I noticed there was trouble down to the cement mixer. That tri-cot plant was way behind the others.

3 Likes

The tri-cot plant has the cots up in the air now, and it’s root mass is expanding. Amazing little buggers. I wonder if it’s going to sprout three leaves as well? We’ll see in the next few days! The root changed from hair roots to smooth roots very quickly once submerged. I bet the transformation only took like 15min or less. Shoulda timed it. drat.

2 Likes

crazy man, according to all the shit I read, these proteins in the surface of the root epidermis control the water absorption, aquaporins. The outer layer of the epidermis cells can absorb small quantities of ions and water, but the true powerhouse is the proteins on the outer membrane of the cells. It explains why those smooth roots operate so efficiently in water culture. It’s an active transport mechanism.

so tiny and full of hope… until they all turn out male! Hah hah hah! Hopefully I can get at least one female there.

2 Likes

they’re still doing the thing that they do, which is growing!

not a very good photo though. The conductivity of solution is extremely low. Probably enough to get them to 10cm tall before needing a resupply, that’s a generous estimate. I’ll probably get all paranoid and dose them again when they are half that height.

5 Likes

here’s the complete seedlings top and bottom. You can see they are getting close to each other! Eventually they will fuse into one crazy plant. It doesn’t happen overnight, although it would be cool if it did.

Just imagine those skinny ass seedling stalks, but all joined into one right at the base. Once they all try and occupy the same space if they are close enough! I can’t wait to see what happens.

2 Likes

I consider people like you and @argo945 my crazy weed professors.

lol thanks! I’m always slow to tell people about the ph management aspect because…well… As witnessed by real life, people don’t believe it…somehow? Bah I already posted my apprentice stories. Once someone lays the brainworm in them that the way I manage the ph is all wrong - things go off the rails quick. Having said that… My seedlings are at ph 6.8! heh heh. I think I have to lower the water level now because the roots are off the hook! They’re definitely not suffering from wild ph swings :wink: and you can really SEE the third leaf on the tri-cot plant now.

2 Likes

testing positive for rapid growth. The roots balls of each seedling are now drawn together into the same space. When I took the photo yesterday they were fairly far apart now all three seedlings have the root mass in the exact same spot. I’m not sure how they move, but those fucking things can move. EDIT: hard to believe it’s only been three days. I can sure obsess over fresh seedlings!

2 Likes

Yes! Exactly, how can you disprove science anyways? It’s already FACT that certain elements are better absorbed when at a higher ph. The plants basically asking to be left alone.

Are you not running fem seeds!? You have to be right…
Do you ever run regulars in dwc? Seems like such a waste to get a male in a big bucket.

I got these three seeds at the expo/contest. Not sure if they are fem or what? I mean there were only 3 seeds per sack… I could ask, but I also like to wonder. The big bud plants were non sexed I grew them out in batches, culling each male. Then blooming the female seedlings after I cloned them. A laborious process for sure, but you can bet your ass I picked the female seedling that tasted the best :slight_smile: If these are unknown seedlings, they could all be male! Or imagine…two female fused with a male? Hah I’d have to cut one of them off. I’ll ask. Then we’ll know for sure!

2 Likes