My worst fears came true

I lost a pack of Apple Betty seeds coming from Spain to customs about two weeks ago. It was the first time I had seeds shipped from out of the States. 0 for 1

2 Likes

@misterbee is right, itā€™s not reserved for cannabis/hemp seed, itā€™s ALL seeds due to invasive species. ALL seed sent from international distribution should be concealed, otherwise if found itā€™s confiscated and destroyed. Iā€™ve seen a few banks that do offer choices of concealed methods, and if I was going to order again I would only choose a bank that innocuously conceals orders, not just sticks it in a mailer pouch in the open. I scolded a bank for being blaise about their sending, made a few changes labeling as ā€˜magnetsā€™ but still sending open air packs. Check shipping sections and if they say how, Iā€™d feel more comfortable ordering than just saying ā€˜stealth or discreetā€™ shipping without saying how they ship. Just my .02

4 Likes

I donā€™t conceal shit FYI

3 Likes

I see a lot of people here sending seeds with no notes or nothing, then wonder why they get snatched, if you buy seeds from illegal countries you will see a germination advice, if you put that on any of your seeds, they should pass customs with no problem, but seeds without that advice are seen as intended for germination. You send them as a collector piece(its stupid ik, but yk too that law is stupid in some cases), not as seeds for growing them.

Just a tip for people doing international, Iā€™ve done a couple with no problem, and usually with a big quantity of beans, so try that thing!

Edit: as far as I know, C. Sativa seeds are totally legal almost anywhere as collector item.

6 Likes

I think by ā€œa germinator adviceā€ you mean a disclaimer that they are souveniers/collectibles?

2 Likes

Good for youā€¦as a rule w prior experience now, I wonā€™t take any chances w $$$ on a bank that doesnā€™t.

2 Likes

Exactly, that should be enough, just a copy paste of the ones in commercial sites

2 Likes

Uh oh!!
This so sucksā€¦I still do not get how anything weed related is illegal-- but hell, lets ship tobacco and alcohol to whoever the fuck we wantā€¦

2 Likes

Too true!
Unfortunately, many old-school strains are ā€˜Amsterdam Onlyā€™ā€™ or they are not the ā€˜realā€™ thingā€¦ usually mixed with something else in order to breed themā€¦

2 Likes

A lot of folks stuff hem inside toys, candy, or- a GREAT way to ship where this still happens is in with Vials of Beads approximately the same size as the seedsā€¦

1 Like

The seed THEMSELVES may be legal, itā€™s the importing into the US WITHOUT accompanying documentation that ā€œbreaks the lawā€. You can PUT any disclaimer you choose, without the documentation, NO GO!!! Iā€™m not saying itā€™s right (been personally ā€œburnedā€), but I understood I was violating the Rules. Thatā€™s how plant-based Viruses, Diseases, etc enter oneā€™s country. EVERY country has some form of Import Controls, some more enforced than others. Theyā€™re only doing their jobs as now defined. I canā€™t foresee a time when they will drop their restrictions on this issue. SS/BWā€¦mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: NOTE: Back in the 70ā€™s/80ā€™s, a Tobacco Beetle from Europe/Middle East entered on the East Coast. It darn near decimated the N. Carolina/S. Carolina Tobacco Industry. Thereā€™s a valid reason for a lot of the personal inconveniences.

18 Likes

True that, but the thing is that it should be done for every seed, even more for horticulture ones, but something tells me that the cannabis ones are even more attractive to customs, because how can you distinguish a tomato seed from an invasive one? Bugs and all that its fucked up, but that should be peoples bussiness! If I send you seeds, I send you seeds, not buggy buggy :rofl:.

Anyway, in the end, customs are doing their job, they dont make the law, sometimes dont even share it, but idk, also idk how they can test for virus and all that stuff in situ, seems pretty unrealistic tbh. Tho is it easy to get that paperwork? Or is another of those money traps? Thanks for the comment man! Always appreciate the knowledge!

3 Likes

No thankfully I got those

3 Likes

Oh, well thatā€™s great news!

2 Likes

Looks like what he lost is a secret, lol.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing, lots of good and useful info in that letter, sorry for your loss ā€¦ beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

Now Iā€™m intrigued :thinking:

3 Likes

Anonymous ^^^^^^^ loss of anonymity

2 Likes

Me too, I think Mr.Bee and myself were going to see if we could replace it but have no idea what it was, lol

5 Likes

You never know what folks around her might haveā€¦. But maybe itā€™s top secret?

2 Likes