Name the Plant Problem Game

This is a Duct Tape cutting from Archive Portland.

All of the other plants in the space are just fine. Same soil, same teas, same everything.

History:

This plant puked on Jack’s 3-2-1 in coco at 75%. It began to turn white and drop leaves. Then after a light nute and flush it puked on Jack’s 3-2-1 in coco at 50%. Same symptoms.

It got moved to water only soil and bounced back. Now this is happening about three weeks into flowering.

7 Likes

Looks a lot like late blight ? Or similar to leaf spot … I hope not . Looks bacterial to me …

4 Likes

I guess that is could be bacterial. Not likely a M/M/fungus as everything else is fine (or recovered) and I rotated sulfur, Plant Therapy and Actinovate. I suppose that it could be an endophyte.

So there are actually four cuts from Archive and they all did something strange but not like this picture above. I put the Hazmat and the Dosidos #55 back into soil and veg and they appear fine. I only did so because they all started to turn a whitish pink and lock up. BUT, they also went straight into a Jacks-Blumat system that I may not have been cleaned up enough. ?? I do use a lot of mycorrhizae and beneficial bacteria so I would be surprised if something was really that bad in there and could overpower good bugs.

Interestingly enough I think that my NS1 and one of my BW were also in coco. (I think there were 6 total) and those two exhibited problems that I do not recall seeing prior. It is a seed run so I will check it as I go but 2 of the 6 are already in test tubes anyway (NS1 and BW).

3 Likes

My SWAG is an opportunistic fungus infection taking advantage of a weakened immune system. Suggestions are sanitation and air flow (I’m in the middle of one myself).

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Another possibility.

In between rounds I do use a hard 10% hypochlorite spray. I sprays walls, floor, tray, etc. but it doesn’t mean that something funky didn’t sneak in, just like the bacteria noted above.

The archive cuts went to a buddy’s place until my space was free. He has CHRONIC PM. I have NEVER received anything from him the past 3 years that has not had it. So when these came home they all were quarantined and treated with oil/ISO/soap until they were clean. It is possible that was the source but he is also finishing his round of flowering his four out without these problems.

This plant does reside near the middle of a packed 5x5. As also noted above this is a seed run so I have 18 stripped-down plants in a 5x5. Yes, 18. The odd part is that 17 of them are rocking hard like champions and this one is the lone ranger with a problem. (Casper, Dosidos, and Hazmat are all in veg and recovering well.)

I will add the Duct Tape to my list of future tissue cultures. I have to do a bunch more this week anyhow.

5 Likes

No doubt it’s some weird shit from what you’ve stated. But I can also derive from it that “feeding it” some more of that soil might help? …as in, it had something the previous 2 didn’t? Could be a microbe in the dirt helping work on the “problem” or event a nutrient buffer. :thinking:

I guess necrosis is necrosis :fallen_leaf:

Maybe a microscope on the dead & dying shit might reveal something?

Lab/chemical analysis maybe?

If it was just a picture w/o all your info, I’d have cursed your coco & maybe Sooooooodium. :thinking:

:evergreen_tree: :atom_symbol:

3 Likes

Septoria? Would be easier to see the whole plant(s) affected.

Microscope should be able to tell you if you’re dealing with a fungus.

3 Likes

Oh snap. It is similar soft necrotic tissue like what we saw on those Phinest cuts. I wonder if that was the source. Handling cuts, then handling tent plants. Hmmm.

2 Likes

I will pull out a scope and check tonight. I will also pull it out and take a full plant pic. It is just hard to do because I get a face full of pollen each time.

1 Like

Another loose piece:

I have been playing with coco and salt for about a year or two. Because I never try the same coco substrate twice IT MAY be the coco. I didn’t treat it any way different than the others. I rinse it hard with filtered water and then buffer it with about 50% cal mag prior to use.

3 Likes

I’m not positive, I see a lot of little circles and little dots which is a good indication of fungus. Ring worm, fairy ring, septoria.

3 Likes

FWIW:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

I think you have nailed it!

Cheers
G

1 Like

OK, here come the pics. Caveat, this is a seed run so any white/yellow granules are heavy pollen deposits.

Whole plant:

Leaf: Top-side

Leaf: Bottom-side

2 Likes

For reference here is a green leaf or three.

3 Likes

So, lets question the spherical dots on the tops sides. They look awfully uniform. I am still also very curious why it is only a single plant and not the others.

4 Likes

I don’t think its Septoria. Have you scoped it? This is what the conidia look like:

Looks like a nutrient/abiotic issue. Oldest leaves affected first and most. Probably underlying salt build-up or pH issues causing lockout. This strain may just be picky. Alternatively, Hop Latent Viroid has ambiguous symptoms like loss of vigor and brittle stems.

I assume the powdery stuff, such as in the close ups of green leaves, is the pollen?

What spherical dots are you talking about? I see angular necrosis, bordered by vascular tissues in the leaves. Edit: looking again I see very regular circular spots within the necrotic areas. But they appear to be the base of leaf trichomes.

3 Likes

Still hard to say for sure, could be nutrients as well. Could be lock out, don’t want to give you the wrong answers or rule anything out. If it is HLVd you should be able to remove it from the plant with meristem in-vitro.

A little more info below.

4 Likes

Yes, the Apollo pollen is the whitest pollen that I have ever seen. 99% of what I have seen in the past is yellow.

Yes, the uniformity of the spheres may simply be that they are all over, but more pronounced on the injured area

2 Likes

Meristem work isn’t a problem. I suppose that it helps that I do regular tissue culture work.

2 Likes