Need to work together to stop this potential take over

I have alot of old strains, heirloom and landraces I started collecting many years ago because I feared this day would come, I am very interested in speaking with the group and legit breeders like @Subcool on what we can possible do to collectively stop this

15 Likes

Overgrow.com is the answer, and yes, teaching how to breed properly is the only meaningful response.

I’m all in!

99%

9 Likes

It’s gona take more then teaching people how to breed, this involves much more then that , you can not breed what somebody else has a patent on, our plant does not meet the requirements for such broad intellectual property patents but the steps are being silently taken to potentialy achieve such things, resistance requires unity and greed causes separation, no more hiding genetics, we need to do everything to document what we have as the peoples

2 Likes

…it sounded like whoever was behind BioTech Institute had spent the past several years surreptitiously maneuvering to grab every marijuana farmer, vendor, and scientist in the country by the balls, so that once the drug became legal, all they’d have to do to collect payment is squeeze.

@Heritagefarms this is exactly the borderline conspiracy theory type stuff I enjoy thinking about, except I don’t believe ther is any conspiracy theory stuff going on here. Scary man. Very scary.

These words above “surreptitiously maneuvering” paints a picture of a company- BTI - working with government to seize civilians and their property. that’s fucked up.

If you aren’t afraid already you should be.

3 Likes

I wonder if this company is related , odd they got some paperwork that has never been attained at same time sessions is waiving the battle flag, there paving the way to remove from schedule one, schedule two means in controll of big pharma, this could be a great step or a very strategically placed one to set up who they choose to take over, read up on Dave Watson and gw pharmaceuticals if you like conspiracy stuff that is prob sad but true, I’ve posted links to the articles on here about it in the past, I’ve been scared for awile now, my fears are being justified more every day

5 Likes

i think this article has been posted here before. imo it is absolutely nothing to worry about, because cannabis has been illegal for the better part of recent history anyways. so who cares if you’re infringing some suits patent? i certainly won’t. and i’ll definitely still be gifting and trading my creations all over the internet

what you really need to worry about is monsanto sneakily releasing genetically engineered cannabis which will automatically make any plants it’s bred into sterile after the 20th generation or something… long enough for it to spread far and wide before people realize whats happening… or some other dastardly plan which makes them the sole source for cannabis seeds and forcing you to re-buy them every season

breeders could look in to applying for plant breeders rights, although not sure if cannabis would qualify or be approved edit: it looks like it is possible, someone in canada was granted rights over a strain listed as Big C

https://news.lift.co/canada-copyright-cannabis/

“To be protected, the varieties must fulfill certain conditions, like showing the variety is new, different from all other varieties, is uniform, and stable …Once accepted, the holder of the claim can have exclusive rights to sell and grow the specific breed/strain for up to 18 years, as well as the right to authorize others access to this access.”

4 Likes

Tell that to the black market!

4 Likes

many years ago while in another country, a man said to me after asking him how much a banana costs…

“Free, they grow on trees” I would have gladly paid for the banana, but he insisted it was free. Cannabis is no different than a banana in comparison. Be afraid. Feeling like it’s okay since there is an alternative is exactly the same reason we are in this situation in the first place.

The system isn’t set up for us to prosper. The system is set up for us to remain a product. It’s a hard pill to swallow sometimes, but the more we all allow big business to interfere with our personal endeavors, the more we relinquish our freedoms.

I’ll send out what I can so someone doesn’t have to pay a tax. So someone doesn’t have to support what was righfully everyones in the first place. We charging for air yet? WTF! I will also support my community as well, by steering people in the direction of self sufficiency.

I don’t do anything wrong, so why should it affect me? That is sheep mentality.

6 Likes

We’re a startup from Montreal and here’s what we’re working on.
We sent a template of an open source breeding license to all known cannabis growers alliances for them to issue to their members.

Goal is to secure as many strains as possible in the open source framework to prevent future patenting

https://blog.strainly.io/2018/09/19/open-source-cannabis-breeding-resources/

https://www.strainly.io/

13 Likes

The Open Source Seeds project is the way to go. I’ve just read the licence. This is exactly what our community needs to get involved in. Get as many strains licenced as we can, before it is too late.

4 Likes

We should do the Same thing we did back early 2000 with human genome sequencing with the genome@home project , sequencing and opensourcing AMAP before big pharma does it…when a genomics pattern is id’ed and deposited as already existing it can’t be ©.
Ds

5 Likes

Contact us with more precise sources if you can :wink:
Will try to support the initiative the best we can

3 Likes

have a look at the “folding@home” project online …
I would start by talking with them about it, if I were you…
DS

3 Likes

I agree with all the members that believe we MUST open source our genetics in order to protect them.
I also believe that most of us OG growers are, or were, outlaws that will breed and spread genetics to the world regardless of who patents stuff.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and flaunt unjust laws

13 Likes

if i spent a decade creating and stabilizing a strain i don’t think i’d be interested in just giving up all rights to it … maybe open sourcing other peoples genetics in my possession but that’s really just fucking those other hard working breeders over… haven’t read that license or anything yet so maybe im misunderstanding, but i’d rather apply for breeders rights

4 Likes

Talking about software, I’ve done my share of contribution to the gnu community during the years, I’ve released software open as well as closed source so I get what u mean…
Same reason for wich there are many ( even too much if you ask me) software licence types… different degrees of protection and sharing…we should do the same thing, what’s really important is that big pharmas doesn’t get there first or it will be complicated…
DS

2 Likes

Well that will stop a lot of so called breeders who just find one lucky F1 cross and call it a new strain.

6 Likes

We invite you to read more on our blog. You are just doing the paperwork for easier corporate takeover by getting plants breeders rights.

5 Likes

Double-edged sword and they will use it whether we do or not.

Either we have no rights and neither do they (so they can make a profit from our work and we have no recourse) or we both have rights (so they can’t make a profit from our work but they will dominate the market anyway).

The other option is they have rights and we have none (so they can make a profit from our work and we have no recourse).

There is no way in hell they would allow the situation where we have rights but they do not…

3 Likes

i have this theory that phylos bioscience is owned (or will be purchased) by a major agro company, and they propagate via tissue culture every sample sent to them for testing, allowing them to accumulate the worlds largest collection of genetics

7 Likes