New Member, Old Schooler and happy to be here

New here, old enough to be an old member before they took OG out.

Typed in my old favorite spot in the search bar just to see if anyone remembered it and was shocked to see it was back! wow

I’m too old to follow some of the new LED tech terms, but I do like HLG and have some.

Really done it all, breeding, outdoor, indoor, RSO, edibles… legal thank Goodness today. Passing on the info tp the next generation. Have a few wild stories over the decades…

As a teen, had a schwag-seed crop growing guerilla, of course mixed males and females. Many outdoor people have the issue of animals digging up freshly planted medicine. When planting guerilla, we’d pop a few holes in a tuna can and toss them a ways from the garden. Animals would mess with the can of tuna for a few days, instead of digging up freshly-planted crops. After a few days, animals digging up new plants wasn’t really a problem.

One time, limestone rocks were handy so we placed rocks around the base of the plants to deter digging, after the worry of digging was over, the rocks remained because it seemed to act as a “top dressing” and kept the soil moist longer and deflected intense summer heat. Well, that cool soil and warm rocks attracted a visitor, one day when watering plants, a large rattlesnake came out from the rocky rootzone. Being a country boy, just stepped back and continued to water and went on my way. Figured that guy was the best plant security you could ask for.

Saw my first hermie after a big summer storm tore plants up, went along all day and used sticks as a “splint” and grass as “string” to naturally repair/set broken plant bones. To this day have never seen anyone do that, but it works and is organic.

Guess I’m rambling and nobody cares about old school guerilla technology that much. Glad OG is back, wow!

26 Likes

Hello and welcome back!! there are a bunch of original OGers back here so im sure youll run into several you knew.
there is a thread here for original OG members…

and here you can introduce yourself to everyone else if you want.

4 Likes

Welcome back @Phototron always cool to see old heads come back, it’s great to be able to pick the brains of dudes that had to get this shit done with a fraction of the resources we’ve got today. Awesome to have you bud

2 Likes

yeah. imma need more of that guerilla growing techniques. :grin::grin:

1 Like

Welcome to OG @Phototron

1 Like

Thanks you guys! To tell you the truth I do not even remember my old OG name, though that is probably a good thing!

Really like hearing what the OG people have to say about today! Of course anyone doing it a lifetime has run into those dreaded hemp russet/cyclomen mites. Lost the most famous plant I ever created because of those damned things. Like any survivor learned prevention and early recognition keeps them gone. One good thing… after those bastards, spider mites are still a joke.

Wrote my introduction, (sorry didn’t see where to put it), then I almost erased it and didn’t know if I should even try to fit here. Been a while.

Already feel the old warmth, tried the mag a few times, got banned for talking about tobacco seeds and making your own blunt wraps… :wink:

Still use corn husks (tamale wraps) as rolling papers sometimes for blunts, bet CornbreadJunior has done that!

Anyway, lots of stories of the most famous plant on Earth

Oh, got a rosin press, that is interesting, led me to terpene replacement and the change in effects was surprising even to me.

Being a country boy and ‘fix-it with anything you can’ type… saw how people were not getting the rosin out of overly dry/old flower. Sure someone has put a wet paper towel in there and put a ziplock of super dry nugs on the hot platens… few minutes later you have steamed-spinach that can be mashed into pucks and the rosin then flows. The rosin from old oxidized buds will be obviously darker than the nearly clear rosin that comes from freshly cured nugs, but at least you can still get the rosin out.

Sorry rambling again!

4 Likes

Welcome to the community! As a novice grower I really appreciate the people, such as yourself, who are willing to help a guy get his grow legs under him. If not for folks like you I would still be killing every plant I touched. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hey @Phototron - you make like this thread :smiley:

3 Likes

Welcome @Phototron :wave:

:green_heart: :seedling:

Great to meet you Phototron. Welcome to OG.

1 Like

Welcome @Phototron glad to have ya​:v::seedling::green_heart:

Definitely interesting stories… the tuna can is a nice one! Welcome back.

1 Like