Next Octopot run: OHGA , Gorilla Glue 4 JW cut, getting set up

Tell me to fuck off anytime…lol…as long as you keep dropping your pearls of wisdom…lol

3 Likes

That was not you Tappy, we are all good man!!! Was someone else. Not to be concerned, I just thought it was way over the top and wanted to remember the member who had posted it …

2 Likes

Day 65, plants are about done. Will let the rez’s go low for next 5 days or so, then take them

3 Likes

The fourth picture in this post is of a tray. I tried to use one of these recently. Is there a suggested method for transplanting out of the tiny compartments.

3 Likes

YES…when roots show out bottom, and you want to transplant , just wet media(I use coco) rel well, push down on the media to firm it up.

Lift up tray, use a finger or I use (fingers too big) a Sharpie and push it up from the bottom. Comes out in a nice square cube.

Must wet the media, and compact it or it will fall apart as it comes out.

3 Likes

A few more days they get the axe, all the larfy non sticky bud will come down, lol .

Peace,

Jet

18 Likes

Do you leave water in the bottom tray while they are germinating? Or is an innitial wetting all they want until transplant.

3 Likes

It is a self watering tray. Under the cubes is a “wicking mat” that hangs off a raised inner piece. The matt is longer than the raised inner piece, the ends hang down into the “rez” which holds water. It wicks water up and to the squares .

6 Likes

So, maybe a rectangle of felt or fleece?

3 Likes

Well yes but it needs to be elevated so only ends hang in the water…seee pic above realize it is hard to see, let me find a better view

https://d1y6jrbzotnyjg.cloudfront.net/V3MSA/db428cb745804e99a500185e7b48b9a7/V9/2ecf3d0c581a483aa64b005425f89d79/ShortForm-Generic-480p-16-9-1409173089793-rpcbe5.mp4?Expires=1581991880&Signature=CnE0bMYL8i~qpGK7srd~MgZYmQOh4MEkz4whOjPne9hwPeIhvcnwXRPa4tpzSA8qA4CQjusF9G6uwrrTqQldkRZt-NSIjzOKZV-b3bDJocisBVwO7PLmuZgEwRkzdi9fkQHtNfypRUJnNSA9TmKL9KvqAOxTnkelzWhlvjSaL4U_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJ62XWKZ35EOVO4XA

I use Coco I buy in small brick form, about the size of a brick for $2.88 will fill 400 holes or so

3 Likes

How big do you let your seedlings get before putting them into the octopot?

1 Like

Hmm. I can create the platform with Legos. What is that “fabric” material. Landscapers cloth?

1 Like

Not sure what it is. White on one side black on other, it is actually 2 parts kinds stuck together. Mine is old and coming apart, how I know that.

Long as it wick well it will work. Lego’s too!!!LMAO!!! GREAT IDEA!!!

Cuts go in Octopots. Cuts into tray, dome on 7 days. Dome off 7 days, cuts have rooted and show visible roots from bottom of planter(just starting to see them ) they go directly into Dixie Cups. Let them root a few days under low light(raise up my T5 3-4 feet, just like when rooting in the tray) till they recover, start to fill the Dixie, perk up, and begin to pray and go vertical. Let them do that 4-7 days, roots have filled Dixie well but NOT anywhere near root bound. THEN they go into Octopots.

1/2 gallon 1/2 strength (my 1/2 strength so 1/2 TEASPOON a gallon) solution poured over the top right down the middle to create a “path” to the rez…LITFA!!!

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ve got a seedling in a cup that I want to put into a ghetto rubbermaid octo pot lol. I Figure I’ll let it establish itself in the cup it’s in for a while longer

1 Like

You do not want them too big or old in the Dixie…just enough so when you pull them out of it you see a nice light network of roots. You see them already "winding around " the pot…kinda late. We want them to HAVE TO go deep to find water…when roots are not bound and wrapped all in each other, much easier to do so.

Plants can suffer finding the Rez. I have done it so much mine no longer do. I know when do plant them in it, I fill Octopot 3 -4 days before use to let the soil “wick” water up into it, and use T5 lighting raised high…like 3-4 feet off them. Takes 7-14 days, usually see them perk up in 10 -12 days…then it is off to the races.

4 Likes

So I’d be better to do it sooner than later, it’s just over a week old and in a “large” coffee cup. Time to experiment

2 Likes

If it is going vertical(growing) and has leaf up healthy look to her…re plant her .

Make sure only 1 watering from top, right down the middle only to kinda create a "wet channel: down to the wick or rez however you made your thing.

Post up pics in here of your Octopot…let me see it.

2 Likes

Lol I dunno if I want to tarnish your thread with this atrocity. Give me a minute I’ll get a couple pics

1 Like

I may have to add some whicking material because my “net pot” is only reaching halfway into the reservoir. My level guage is a fishing bobber with a skewer stabbed into it, ran through a cut off pen tube for stability. Total cost… like 7 bucks canadian lol. And in my typical style - half assed and ugly as possible lol

11 Likes

WOW NOT BAD AT ALL!! Complete sentence

3 Likes