No Genetic Difference Between "Indica" and "Sativa"

I used to think that louder terps and the potency of the thc was related until I produced this cross of lvtk that has the rks terp profile.
The smoke is good but I have smoke that has a more potent effect.
But the terps on this one… I did say rks. I like to call it rancid oranges because of the smell that it fills the room with while growing.
5 months in the jar and it still reeking like no tomorrow. The smell of it is like walking up to a dead skunk laying on the road.
But the smoke is beautifully mild and pleasant. It gets you there without putting a person over the edge. If that makes sense.
I’m one that correlates terps, loudness, with potency, but this plant proves that relationship isn’t alway true.
Maybe the cross is saying that it can go much louder because it could use a hair more potency.
I will definitely know when I make my next cross to it.

2 Likes

The R-word I was referring to is Ruderalis

2 Likes

Please excuse if this is in the wrong thing-a-m’bob, but it’s just too tantalizing. I once had an experience under LSD that left me with the feeling the human brain has, or is capable of having, complete knowledge or maybe I should say complete wisdom or maybe complete consciousness , one leading to the other. But what we do with “it” determines our evolution or at least our “social evolution.” In ancient times “it” was used to deal with life and religion, which begins to clutter and mask “it.” Later we used “it” to develop comforts, protections, domination etc, until today “it” is just about completely hidden from us which “it” brought us to meditation, psychedelics and cannabis in order to continue the human experiment.
Back to the Thin or Thick leaves, Sativa, Indica discussion. For me, there are differences, but depend on many things aside from geneology including environment, plant nutrition, cross breeding and the human condition. For me the proof is in the effect which over use/time is usually not exactly the same.

3 Likes

To me, it makes more sense that they’re not genetically different, assuming they’ve been around for longer than humans have and pre continental divide, then their differences adapted to the regional changes in climate and evolved from there…

2 Likes

I agree. If we were to start growing the same plant of any variety, over and over in the same environment, and your children and their children did the same - would that variety be a “land race?”

1 Like

I’m still a ways back in the thread where there is talk of whether there is a noticeable difference in high type between short broadleaf and what is called Sativa. Anyone that hasn’t noticed a difference probably hasn’t had either a pure Afghanica or a pure Sativa. I can smoke one bowl of Afghani and it puts me out. I can smoke 20 bowls of a good tropical sativa and do jumping jacks all day.
Lots of what is labeled pure is not pure. There’s only one pure Haze left around. Old Timers Haze. All the others have had “Indica” added, including the old Tom Hills Haze, much to my chagrin.

6 Likes

Woohoo!!! I agree!!!

Well said bro.
Humans trial are the best responses because a machine’s results is always based on what the programmer’s wants.

1 Like

If it’s only you growing that population it would be an heirloom. If it was you and a bunch of other Farmers growing the same genetics it would become a Landrace eventually.

2 Likes

Someone had mentioned that cannabinoid profiles will be used in the future to determine whether something is indica or sativa and I agree with this. There are long flowering tropical landrace varieties that have Indica effects( rare) and there are short broad leaf landrace plants that have sativa type effects, also rare.
Can we say generally speaking that plants with longer flowering times give you a more alert, focused effect, similar to a stimulant? In my experience yes. In all cases but one.
Can we say generally speaking plants with shorter flower times are more apt to produce a hangover. In my experience also yes. In most, but not all cases.
In traditional varieties the effect is related to latitude and elevation nearly every time. Below 32 degrees latitude there seems to be what is commonly described as a Sativa Effect. Upbeat. Talkative. Social, racing thoughts, energetic. There are some heavier effects found in cannabis just below this latitude but only in high elevations like in Nepal, Yunnan, Iran. It’s difficult to find a “sleepy” sativa
Around 33 degrees latitude there is a switch and North of here traditional plants can have both Sativa and Indica effects, depending on the phenotype chosen.
This latitude theory was put forth by Indian Landrace Exchange and I’ve been seriously looking into it. They seem to be onto something.

3 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if this has to do with CBN. Hybrids and indicas both will produce the amber trichomes if you let them ripen far enough. I’ve noticed that some long-flowering sativas don’t seem to do it. If you’re growing a 20 weeker and waiting for amber, good luck. AFAIK, that has to do specifically with CBN content.

There’s still a lot of variables involved in studying cannabinoids. We already know that pure isolates of CBD or THC do not have the same effects as when they are combined. We know that they also do not have the same effect as their acid forms. The same is likely true of all other cannabinoids, and the combinations of them in acid and non-acid forms becomes complex.

Additionally, cannabinoids have interactions with other parts of the body. THCV is shown to increase pancreatic function, for instance, which will probably then cause metabolic differences. How this is perceived to someone who consumes it is still largely anecdotal.

Until someone finds otherwise, I’m convinced that there are only a few things that really matter toward experience – cannabinoid content/profile and physiology of the consumer.

Second – cannabinoid profiles are largely the same for the overwhelming majority of hybrids/polyhybrids, in comparison to the total number of cannabinoids that the plant can produce. It might be bred for the most psychoactivity, and you might get ‘less high’ smoking the same amount of a plant that distributes cannabinoids. But that says nothing about what happens when you smoke a large enough quantity to approach cannabinoid receptor saturation.

8 Likes

Interesting. Are you saying the difference between “heirloom” and “landrace” is size of area?

1 Like

I agree. Love to get a few seeds of a “pure” sativa. I’ve tried a few South African varieties - disappointment. The closest I’ve got to “pure” is Humboldt Sour Diesel. I’m just a wee bit over the line for jumping jacks all day, but playing my guitar, working in the garden, going for a hike, writing out ideas all day I’m up for. So until I come across the real deal, I harvest while the tricomes are sparkly clear which seems to approach the ideal - for me.

3 Likes

When i smoke, I want my body to feel like I’m in my mother’s arms, while my mind feels like it just passed Alice down the rabbit hole.
So i like a strain that have a balanced effect on my mind as well as my body.
This doesn’t happen when I take my plant at solid white trichs.
The white trichs high only effect my thoughts and mentality. It brings me Paranoia, and psychosis, as I enter into a darkened, melancholy state. White trichs give me a low feeling of self worth. And no sleep what so ever.
Now let’s take the same plant and let it go to about 30 percent amber trichs. It the smaller trichs along the edge of my he sugars leaves are red. Some of the one in the center of the sugar leaves with brown red as well.
But I also notice a clearer trich with a red tinge.
The high form that plant will drop you quicker than the sandman in punch-out. It’s almost frightening how easily it puts me to sleep.
There is no time to feel the high as it comes over the body like anesthesia. Light out. And no idea of how long you have been out. 15 minutes or 4 hours, it all feels the same.
Take the same plant and let it go just past the the first sight of amber. There will be a few amber in the center of the sugar leaves. And they will be bright amber. It’s gives the plant a distinct look that’s easy to spot.
The difference in the smoke is night and day. It’s not too heavy and and not to mental and racey.
It make social events more enjoyable while not looking spaced out of line some type of zombie monster.
Football is enjoying, lounging is enjoying, Shopping, grilling whatever I want to do, becomes more enjoyable. Reading, writing, painting, it doesn’t matter.
The very different results will from the same plant as portions are harvested at different intervals.
I have tested this theory hundreds of times over hundreds of my plants. The results are always predictable.
And of course I have had strains that don’t produce the same type of effects. Some strains just will not produce any type of body high. Sativa? Chemistry? I don’t know.
But the craziest part is, where the majority is people will get a sativa type high from the white trichs, I have still seen a few who will pass after smoking it.
Just as well as I have seen people who stay up for days after smoking an far amber plant that putting most others to sleep.
I guess that’s why we have the 1,000’s of different opinions. Because it effects everyone differently. Peace

3 Likes

For most people with an opinion on the subject, small numbers of plants couldn’t qualify as a landrace. I’m not sure myself. Heirloom is probably a better term.

4 Likes

A: the degree of adaptation is not prooven. not that i know. scientists still struggle to make clear statements what is what, . They still argue if Lama is now Alpaca, or if its two species

B: even there is small genetical difference, in the end what counts is how big the difference in effect is. Jesus was probably 99,9 percent genetically same. And still he was very special. I believe smallest differences can have a huge impact.

Humans have such a need to simplify things and put things in this or that type scenarios, indica and sativa, much like most other things, is way too black and white on how to describe types of cannabis. But, at this point, them being different genetically is not something with any basis any longer, at least as far as science and I am concerned, they’ll be variations of the same thing.

mmmh, A differenciation doesent need to be 100 percent true.

If its 1 PErcent more true than coexidence than there is a certain truth. As long as there are no better explonations, why not use those differenciations.
First Question is : are Indica/Sativa differenciations true to a DEGREE.

2 Likes

We might as well just make sativa the word up, and indica the word down and make it less confusing for the masses.

I think unless specifically pointed out or in Context of Genetical Heritage, everyone means the physical Apperance with the words Indica/Sativa.

1 Like