Not Just Another Tincture Thread

Great questions man you just got my gears turning again about to thinking about getting a distiller of some sort! Thanks man!

2 Likes

No, I haven’t pressed any other herbs to see if I get “rosin”.

My Ex-wife used to work at a place that made herbal extractions and blends. They would grind the herbs to extract, then they would drip the ethanol through the ground herbs like one would make coffee. These were reduced, mixed, etc depending on the final product desired.

This is a great question. My guess is that the THCA would still break down into the same metabolites that they test for. I mean THCA will still get you high if you have enough of it. Go eat a couple grams of hash and see what happens (dont make any plans).

4 Likes

It was more about a way to get an extraction without alcohol entirely. I have friends who avoid any edibles if they’re made with alcohol in any stage. It’s not hard to do an oil extraction, but I thought that maybe a concentrate would be something interesting to try. It would also give me some level of control over a lavender extraction in a interesting way to me.

2 Likes

So @ReikoX I’m looking into making more of the green dragon that’s more TCHA based so the wife can utilized the sweet tarts more efficient with out getting high so the cannabis doesn’t go through the oven process but can I still utilize heating slightly the alcohol to help with the evaporation process along or should I do this passively without just googled the BP of ethanol which is 173 F is this high enough to decarb?

When I make THCA tinctures, I avoid heating to reduce. A fan or AC will make it reduce fairly quick.

1 Like

While we are on the topic of topicals/creams:

Has there been discussion of nerve vs muscle vs skin ailments.

1 Like

Couple questions and sorry if it’s already been answered.
I had to work out of town for a week and some of my outdoor bud got Jarred up to early and didn’t get burped or monitored like I would do. End result is a good amount of but with a tiny amount of mold barely visible to the naked eye. I have more clean bud than I need so I put anything questionable in the freezer. I was thinking of using it for topicals and bath bombs for Christmas gifts.
So
Is it safe to use questionable bud for topicals? If the spores are a concern I was looking and it seems I can get .2 micron syringe filters pretty cheap and run the wash thru that.

Second question to save some coin on larger amounts I don’t see anything wrong with using 91% isopropyl alcohol for the wash for topicals or bath bombs etc. What do you guys think?

For tropicals, I wouldnt worry too much about using moldy bud or isopropyl alcohol.

2 Likes

Long as it’s for yourself or you properly inform anyone you give it to.

1 Like

I don’t believe so. Not specifically anyways. Bits and pieces of observations as far as I’ve seen.

The best mix for nerve pain and muscle pain from my spine deforming I’ve made for myself so far was made with MCT oil, lecithin, and mint from my garden. The menthol really helped the topical to go the extra mile.

Edit: obviously I also use cannabis in the extraction. For pain I’ve been fond of a 1:1 decarbed and raw extraction.

3 Likes

I got an upper respiratory tract infection, so smoking isn’t a reasonable option. Doctor insisted on a day off despite my gripes about not trying to miss work😬 might as well use it as an excuse to make a nice edible for myself

Today I’m mixing it up and keeping it simple. 4.56g of trim. Almost all from Audrey with a couple of buds from my family’s grow and one properly cured gud from Audrey. There’s also collected resins and oils from bud handled on the tray for the last few months since I’ve cleaned the tray clean with alcohol. This time I’m adding some butter to the tray to clean it and see how much extra gets in the recipe :grin:

My oven temp is actually accurate I’m shocked :joy: I have a analog oven thermometer in there. It never goes above 250 when I set it to 245f. If I set it to 240 though it would be 225​:grimacing: my oven has problems, but years with it have taught me it’s ways. It’s a convection oven and all spots have been a consistent temperature :heart_eyes: I just prefer to keep the bud as far away from the heating element as possible.

After decarb

I’m softening some Amish butter :heart_eyes: real butter just has something special about it. Maybe because it’s not a mix of oil and filler to pretend it’s butter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy: worth spending a little extra to buy butter. I used a cup of butter. 100g.

Started to make a compound butter with cold butter first to keep it from becoming a melted mess before my lovely assistant finished working with it. Just folded it in until it grabbed all the bud and was cooled down.

After that some softened butter went on the tray to grab some leftover resin and oils.

Folding the compound butter in with a little bit of lemon balm, lavender, Rosie Basil, sacred basil, nooch, parmesan cheese, 6 cheese Italian blend, and 4 cheese Mexican blend.

Using premade biscuit dough as these are amazing :heart_eyes:

Sectioned off each portion and now the filling is finished.

Used a small fraction of butter leftover for the topping on each roll with parmesan on top.

Heating on 335f in my oven which goes no lower than 325f and no higher than 340f at that setting.

Finished with only a mild burst issue. I’ll just dip them in it once they cool off.

Mixed up a tzatziki dip with a small amount of creole seasoning, sour cream, nooch, and parmesan cheese. Mixed it with the leftover butter stuck to the plate.

It’s absolutely delicious :yum: it’s like a really tasty ravioli :heart_eyes: the fresh herbs were a perfect choice.

13 Likes

15 minutes later and I’m feeling high AF and really wanting to zone out in music :joy: sounds actually got muffled though the irony​:joy:

I know I’m sensitive to the come-on effects of edibles, but damn that’s still fast🤔

Feeling a little out of body too. It’s not even fully in effect yet and it’s this good already :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Nice take on the classic “firecracker” recipe. :yum:

3 Likes

2 was definitely the magic number. 3 is oddly calming, while not sleepy unless I lay down. Pretty close to my dabs​:thinking: not a bad ratio. The trim this time was pretty much anything that had trichomes that wasn’t in the bud jar. Stems removed. The effects are very euphoric and a very nice body high that evolves with time as I’m feeling it out. Definitely better than the last few batches, so I may make another treat like this, but with a less burst prone recipe :thinking: I don’t want to make the texture inside unpleasant just to bind it properly. Choices.

2 Likes

Sounds Yummy Mate, Nice Job

1 Like

So the wife’s encounter with the non-decarb GD seems to be working rather well she can function properly with no issues and hasn’t hardly touched the Motrin since she started using it ! Iv noticed she isn’t having to do as much topical either glad I’ve tried the Non carb green dragon or the NDGD Is how it’s labeled as there’s two different smarties containers in the cupboard. Thanks @ReikoX! Want to try my hand at hard candies next

6 Likes

Dont forget to keep the NDGD in the fridge. If you leave it in a cool Dark place it will be decarbed withing about 90 days.

3 Likes

Bulk bottle is kept cold tarts aren’t though they don’t stay around long!.. would that be a total decarb or only a partial over 90 days?

1 Like

It has to sit in the alcohol for 90 days, without it it takes considerably longer.

1 Like

I have used my non-decarb tincture for migraines twice and it helped. So far I’m very pleased. I would like to give some to a friend to try for panic attacks. Problem is, they can’t have any alcohol. Any ideas how to get completely rid of the alcohol without heat (decarb is not an option)?

2 Likes