Not Just Another Tincture Thread

Yes, but… Freeze everything first, then combine frozen ingredients, shake and continue to follow instructions, as indicated above, here on @ReikoX’s killin thread

5 Likes

So I can’t use a plastic container?

Or can I use a glass with no lid?

• I forgot the Mason jars.
1 Like

Plastic is fine. My alcohol comes in plastic bottles and thats what I use.

I find it works a LOT better to use an over size bottle/jar or what ever rather than pack the bud in tooooo tight. That way you can shake it around if there is some extra room.

1 Like

Glass is preferred, there are many kinds of plastic. You can do a drinking glass with tin foil.

5 Likes

glass is ideal especially in higher alcohol concentrations, and some plastics are alright to use such as pet and hdpe as we also arent storing them long term .

Edit: dammit @ReikoX beat me again lol, leave to pour a drink and come back and hit post and there you are lol

4 Likes

So I put 3oz in one cup no lid and 3 oz in another cup no lid. Also placed the remaining 5 liters in the freezer.

both 3 oz cups turned to slush.
5 liters no change yet.

I am assuming the slush is a indicator of a low alcohol %. That sucks, glad I only paid $25usd for the 5 liters. I am gonna take it to the warehouse to use for cleaning I guess . I am gonna leave the jug in the freezer to see if maybe I can freeze the water and remove it to increase the %. But I am going to wait untill I get a confirmed 95% before I put the bud in there.

Or that water has entered your alcohol due to the lack of a lid.

Always cover alcohol and remove any air, to keep it fresh.

There are lower alcohol approaches in this killin thread too!

2 Likes

good call! I am gonna put some more with lids :+1:

1 Like

Ok, so, with lids the alcohol didn’t freeze.

I am doing the reduction now

Like a orange brown or goldish color. Filtration takes a while.

8 Likes

Do you have any pics of the product prior to putting it into the alcohol. Damn its red.

1 Like

Interesting color!

Its possible your alcohol (no lids) was absorbing the moisture from inside your freezer. The RH in the freezer will go to 100% when you open the doors. If you have a frost free freezer, it will drop back down when the frost forms on the coils, but that could leave time for the alcohol to absorb a good bit.

1 Like

No, after the oven it did darken to a more brown but not burnt. Smelled like weed from a dry herb vape.

Some solids appear to be forming now that the alcohol is starting to evaporate.

3 Likes

Some on this site feel the container that is used for de-carbing should not be covered.

If it is covered, any vapors that do not escape will return to a liquid or semi-solid state if they are allowed to cool and remain trapped in or on top of the product.

I always cover up with a double seal of aluminium foil when I de-carb.

1 Like

Interesting. Thats the first time Ive heard that recommendation.

I think @ReikoX does not agree. Hoping to hear why.

Reduction took forever. Was trying not to reflux.

6 Likes

I’ve done both and both work. If the starting material was completely dry, I had no issues. If the material still has moisture, covering it traps in that moisture. This added moisture can cause problems with separation and/or pulling more chlorophyll.

If I am concerned with preserving terpenes etc, I do not decarb in the oven at. Instead I use the natural decarb method. The oven is usually used for topical and edibles.

2 Likes

Ah, I became alert right at this point.

Years ago, I saw a chart of what evaporates at what temperatures and IIRC at the temperature the oven is at to decarb, a fair amount of things like smells etc will evaporate away. If possible I would like to avoid doing this.

I am quite interested in decarbing for extraction without using an oven, would I already be doing this with a good cure?

Also, is the quality of extracted product affected by not using an oven? Positively, or negatively

1 Like

How does the final color look to you? I will try it tonight.

Another one of those 180 that make me more confused to cover or not to cover.

1 Like