Not weed related but what is this?!

The cherry tree is completely covered this. I don’t see things moving beyond a occasional lady bug. It’s really sticky to the touch. Is it a bad aphid infestation? I’m seeing all kinds of new threats/bugs in my whole yard this year :confused:

8 Likes

black cherry aphids?

8 Likes

aphids, me thinks. is that a black cherry tree? black aphids are common for it.

2 Likes

It’s a weeping cherry tree that doesn’t weep lol black aphids sounds right, that explains all the sticky goo on it.

Thinking of buying a pack of lady bugs an releasing them on the tree. Has anybody tried this?

3 Likes

I get mine from here;

Live Ladybugs - General Predators – NaturesGoodGuys

:green_heart: :seedling:

3 Likes

They won’t necessarily stick around

I’d honestly just use kontos on an edible tree no where near flowering

You can find small amounts of “nuclear” options on eBay

It’s never something to use all the time but IMO every grower should have at least a few different nuclear options in case shit goes sideways in veg or you want to keep stock after a infestation

Kontos, avid, tetrasan imo

These are only ever to be used on baby plants and only when absolutely necessary
I’m not advocating that people should use them often
But everyone should have a couple of these
There’s pests now that other stuff doesn’t do a damn thing
Having just had russets I can confidently say I’ve done a hell of a lot of research on all of these

there’s a lot of misinformation out there relating to these products and they’re only ever a last resort but

As far as the cherry tree
Kontos will do serious damage if not eradicate them and it’s also bee safe and has a pretty short half life

in the meantime
just mix together some dish soap and cayenne pepper with some water
Everyone generally has both of those

5 Likes

Does kontos need to be foliar fed? Are there any drench options? It’s a decent sized tree I’d say 15’ish. It won’t be the easiest task trying to foliar feed the whole thing

Yes it can be drenched
That way you don’t have to worry about protective equipment either

.5ml a gallon either way
Foliar will make it go farther

I have no idea how much you would have to water in to make it effective on a large tree

Probably 10-15 gallons of solution
It can be watered in with nutrients as well

If tree can be reached by Garden Hose, consider a Hose End Sprayer, should reach the height of tree. Good Luck, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Wouldn’t they stick around with that much food?

1 Like

I think I would try and knock down some of that mold and stuff with a strong water hose. You may get a good deal off of the tree that way. Especially if it has cherries that you eat. I would want the mold off of the fruit, so the cherries might still make it. Good luck.

1 Like

@GrowingInThePines I don’t think it’d be a wise use of funds

No guarantee with it

I wouldn’t think the majority of them would stay

1 Like

It doesn’t produce fruit only flowers, there are some fruit trees near by I’d hate to see swarmed. I’ll give the hose a try tomorrow morning

A couple years ago aphids were all over my willow tree, they went away for a year an now this new breed came back with avengeance

2 Likes

I agree with @Shamus, the lady bugs will probably not hang around and do what you want them to.
Just my opinion.

After looking into it, I agree with @Shamus and @chronix. They will probably fly away before helping the tree that much. Even if they didn’t fly away the amount I would need is insane

1 Like

There aren’t many bee safe organic options
If any that I’m aware of

Why I recommended the kontos
It can also be drenched which is nice

And since it’s not a fruiting tree the half life is irrelevant
You can also look up the active ingredient of kontos and find other “generic” brands of it that may be cheaper or in smaller quantities

Like I said there is eBay sellers that sell small amounts of all the more serious chemical options as they normally have really small application rates and go a long way

If you can’t find it on eBay in small amounts I’ll just sell ya 15$ bucks worth lol
I’d have to do some math to see how much I slid per ML but it’d be enough to take care of the tree damn near 8-10x over

As a 250ml bottle of kontos is 170-190$
most of the small options on eBay will run you 15-30$ and you will likely never need to buy another

And it’s something every grower should have on hand anywho

but kontos is cool because it’s demolishes mites and aphids and it’s definitely the lesser evil when talking nuclear options
Relatively safe for being liquid death

Still tho, gloves when mixing… don’t even spray it without proper PPE
I have but I’m an idiot

Insecticidal soap spray will kill aphids on contact.

1 Like