Oaxaca Sativa 50% Hybrids

Cherry Bomb is an accidental cross of an apparent and assumed Afghani Indica Father with a South Mexican (Oaxaca) Sativa Princess, both preserved on the island of Hawaii in the 60-70s. After generations of breeding, the Oaxacan took on football sized colas and distinctive island-related aromas and taste and was thus titled Maui Wowie. Cherry Bomb is the best source that I know of where true South Mexican Sativa genetics still exist.

What other 50% Hybrids still exist with verifiable Oaxacan Sativa genetics from the 1970s when Cherry Bomb was first created? In addition to the breeding projects I have lined up, I would like to add an additional one if I can find another 50% Hybrid that Old School Growers (OSG) know is verifiable.

4 Likes

how many years did it take for the cherry bomb to have the island aromas and what not, if you know?

2 Likes

Bro, that is amazing.

This is the stuff legends are made of. Some real Mexican landrace stuff. Niiiiice.

2 Likes

I am not sure. It probably took a combination of selective breeding and natural selection (different environments express different genes). I know that the initial migration of South Mexican Sativa to Hawaii occurred during the time of the BOEL so my guess is rather rapidly.

I wish I knew more.

1 Like

Bodhi released some Oaxaca seeds through his Nierika line. I got in on some of those (came with his release of Acapulco Gold). Any idea if these seeds are similar to what youā€™re looking for? I think they were collected more recentlyā€¦ 2010 if I remember. So Iā€™m not sure theyā€™ll be ā€œold schoolā€.

1 Like

I was not aware that Bodhi made available landrace genetics. If you or anyone else knows more about Bodhiā€™s strain hunting process please share.

I would assume it was similar to how everyone else does it, by going to the locales. After the 80s, it seems probable that individuals posses the purist landrace genetics in places far from origin.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a pod cast calledā€¦ ā€œThe Pot Castā€, with an episode (1.5 episodes actually) where he interviews Bodhi. Somewhere in there, Bodhi was describing his collection process, although in fairly general terms. But yea, spending a little more time in an area and making friends with locals is what he does.

1 Like

This just looks like an amazing smoke.

5 Likes

:scissors: ā€¦and a trimming nightmare. :wink: :smile: :ghost:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

thanks ā€œcannabis kingā€ arjan :rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

Arjan went to origin. What are you talking about @legalcanada ?

yeah Arjan goes around to origin and spreads his shitty hybrid seeds so no one can collect them after him, so youā€™re correct the purest landraces probably arenā€™t at the place of origin. i wonder how many landrace lines heā€™s diluted.

3 Likes

I never knew he did that. Thatā€™s pretty underhanded and greedy. I hope that he was unsuccessful in polluting.

1 Like

well i donā€™t know if thatā€™s his intention or not but he usually trades seeds for seeds, brings his catalog and letā€™s them pick what they want, but he must understand what thatā€™ll do to the geneticsā€¦ Iā€™m surprised he even included those scenes in his videos, maybe just so people donā€™t even bother going after him lol

Iā€™ve always heard about ā€˜speedyā€™ sativas and stuff but Iā€™ve never come across one ā€¦ is oaxacan like that?? @lefthandseeds if you ever do a preservation run with those nierika trust beans Iā€™d love to still be in touch with you lol

i think @viva_mexico has asked around for Mexican landraces and wasnt able to track any downā€¦ seems like Mexico might be a dangerous place to go bean collecting

3 Likes

Donā€™t worry, unless yā€™all kick my ass out of here, Iā€™m not going anywhere :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think we might have a grower for a reproduction of these beans for sometime in the near future. I wonā€™t put them on the spot until theyā€™re ready though.

I brought some bag seeds back from Monteverde, Costa Rica about a year ago. No clue what they are or where they came from, but one of these days, Iā€™ll find pop them and find out. The speediest weed Iā€™ve ever had was pineapple express from a dispensary. Surprising, because itā€™s a hybrid. Didnā€™t enjoy it at allā€¦

4 Likes

Yes, original Mexican landraces are not found here anymore. I would say 20 years ago yes. Today no. If someone says they are growing landraces here

1. Donā€™t know what original landrace seeds are;
  2. Full of shit.
  3. both.

I am still trying to find some am I know I am getting closer. Hopefully next year I will come across them.

5 Likes

Great information @Viva_Mexico , thanks so much for sharing with us.

What part of Mexico are you located? It would be a journey to go down there and select seeded plants with some others on OG! If landrace were to still existā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m feelinā€™ a yo-mama joke cominā€™ā€¦ :house_abandoned:

:evergreen_tree: :laughing:

1 Like

I live in central Mexico. Jalisco. The reason no one grows landraces anymore is because they take way longer to finish. From 1-2 landrace harvest a year compared to 3-4 Outdoors (not greenhouse) with modern seed.

4 Likes