OG Cup Challenge Idea 🏆

I am using ferments and top dressing, and watering with mostly ro water. My problem is PH diving if i use too much ferment. The contest is over in a few weeks. The best i can do is not make a mistake before it is over.

3 Likes

The roots must be bound up. A little improvement in drainage alone might go a long way?? Can roots extend beyond the container or would this disqualify someone?

It would disqualify me. Next time i have an idea for my soil, i think it will allow me more feed and biology for PH balance.

1 Like

This is really a great exercise. One of the issues I face on every flip is that the root systems become bound up after about 2 weeks into flip. So I put them in their final container then. It would be nice to re-pot, flip and forget (other than routine maintenance of course).

1 Like

When i was young i learned NOT to transplant in flower. I don’t know when that changed but i stick to leaving them be during flower. Both ways work i assume if you learn the method.

i think you would only be required to prune them.

i made maybe 1mm x 1mm holes around bottom edge (not on bottom so as to be blocked when standing) and also made slits all over the outside of the cup in hopes it would air prune. requires frequent watering. if i had found my soldering iron i would have burned small holes all around the cup like an air pot.

1 Like

I thought of that. I should of put more holes for sure. I made several mistakes in hindsight. Next time i hope to do better. :relaxed:

1 Like

Without, I get dying leaves such as you see at the base of the plant in the dixie cups.

I ran this plant out 8 weeks, never did a leaf die. This is harvest day!

2 Likes

If outdoors, it is total shock to a plant. with the root ball nearly bound up, it wants to go into dirt more than you will want to move it, guarantee you!

99% of the time.

Beautiful! Dixie cups? That is a big difference, i always use big pots. They are my normal but i notice a lot of people prefer smaller.

I am just kidding around.

1 Like

Where / when is the vote?
@MadScientist, cut those dead bits off :scissors: and those are looking very nice!

1 Like

It’s gonna be a poll here at OG. When? I dunno, we all need to finish first.

1 Like

i suggest starting new competition either with new year or maybe when 50% of entrants are done? we could start new one every 3 months maybe (jan 1st, apr 1st, jul 1, oct 1) and have poll once every1 is done maybe? or would that get too confusing

1 Like

To get over root bind I tore off the bottom inch , poked pencil holes in the rootball to loosen( 4 holes vertically) replace the bottom inch with fresh media to fill

1 Like

Can we see a picture of that… Sounds like you are disqualified brother… LOL

Really scratching for an advantage there, I’m not growing roots out of a cup into another container. I’m all in one cup

1 Like

I showed pictures of my root balls in the cups. You saw them right?

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours. HAhahahaha.

Is the argument the cup was cut in two or the roots were cut?