OG Kush - The Original Genetics

I haven’t grown any off there beans but they work with legit cuts so you can at least know the genetics are what they say they are. The only one that is off is there bubba diagonal which is not what it is listed as on there website, this has been addressed and cleared up by them but for some reason the website has not been changed to reflect this.
I’m waiting to see them drop the Cuban black haze but also wondering where they got it

6 Likes
5 Likes

My current grow that I just finished was with their breeder cut of Wedding Game and it was, the biggest and best smelling, stand out plant of the season! The year I grew their Candyland cut that was my standout plant that year too! I’ve never hunted a pack of their seeds…but I’ve grown a lot of their cuts and been gifted rooted seedlings of their genetics with no issue. It was always top of the line trichome production… Everything grown outdoors organically

5 Likes

Like Chem/Dog, OG is closely tied to the Grateful Dead.

A drop-out from California was a taper for the Dead.
This got him into some close circles.
He liked amphetamines, so the SE Asian line he was given was a quick favorite. And he bred with it.
It was the best, to him, so he called it AAA.
His property had a natural stream fed by the redwoods and his 4-car garage was full of lights. So, local deadheads were buying lots of AAA.
Later, Jason King would rename this strain Asian Fantasy

I would pose that OG is AAA crossed to NL2 something. Likely NL1xNL2, or NL5xNL2 x NL1xNL2, or NL2xOrtega4

11 Likes

Gotta love the tapers! Some of my favorite shows only exist in recording thanks to them.

6 Likes

Hug a taper today!!

8 Likes

Nice data point but if you didn’t record humidity levels kind of hard to determine if it was all about altitude. Winter grow in Michigan could approach the same vpd as some of those mountain grows in the summer perhaps?

2 Likes

I’m at 8400ft which is probably a lot higher than most. I’m happy to collaborate, experiment and collect data. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We were controlling the humidity, these were dialed in indoor grows with temp, co2 and humidity controls. Everything was the same, pumps fans, tables , reservoirs , air stones etc.
What becomes different is the size of the stomata due to barometric pressure differences that effect the size of oxygen molecules.

4 Likes

Probably should have said barometric pressure instead of humidity since the RH would be something that growers typically control. Certainly, a physical change such as barometric pressure could affect a different response. My point was that during the winter, an indoor grow in say Michigan would approach the same drop in barometric pressure that one could expect in the summer in the mountains.

2 Likes

That would matter if you were comparing grows in different areas at different times of the year but that’s not what we were doing. These were happening at the same time with controlled indoor grows and some outdoors from los Angela’s up the coast all the way to Mendocino and across the valley up into the Sierra Nevada mtns.
The lowest elevation was a ranch in Santa Cruz about 150ft above see level and the highest was in South Lake Tahoe.
The bubba kush did best around 2800 feet elevation but the la confidential became truly amazing in Tahoe.
Tahoe is 6200 feet above sea level so I guess we did get up there pretty high for some reason I thought it was around 5k above sea level ,but 7-8k would be sure be interesting.
Degrees north also seem to play a role because what was grown in Sonoma was within 50ft elevation of Santa Cruz and they came out noticeably different.
It’s also strain related , blue dream comes out just about the same regardless of how you grow it untill you hit about 4500ft elevation outdoors and then she stretches like a stringy nightmare.

4 Likes

Certainly is known for bringing the flavor to coffee and I seem to recall altitude being associtated with the better stuff back in the day.

1 Like

I’ve mentioned it before but the first kush I got in los Angela’s was in square Tupperware containers labeled AAA. That disappeared and then it came labeled as kush then og kush. I’ve also been told by a few people that the AAA was Cambodian , specifically Cambodian#8. I’m have some blueberry hill crossed to the Asian fantasy ( well what ever was handed out after the bathtub story as Asian fantasy-but the plants come out very BH dominate.

4 Likes

Wow, yeah, that’s spot on.

2 Likes

It’s interesting I may have been after the Asian fantasy all along and not the kush , the same person who was able to get the AAA herb was getting kush right after and they were somewhat similar but I have always said something is off. I saw the AAA on the stem once because the girl who could get it got some Un trimmed on the stems still do to the grower being lazy and her being impatient. It was darker and had bigger bracts then what I see from the og lines but smaller more elliptical bud structure and crustier if that makes sense. It looked like a much better grown version of what king showed in his book and similar to stuff I see from Laos. Also interesting the 92og cut I have looks a lot like this pic I found of phenom pehn

10 Likes

Yeah, Jason King never got pure AAA, only a hybrid.
So it makes sense it didn’t look like the one in Cannabible

1 Like

Also can’t help but think that you could grow some Cambodian down in los Angela’s or Florida and get it to finish , it would also explain the seeds that would occasionally be found due to landraces tending to have more herm plants or bananas that form late in flower , there were always little immature white seed to immature to grow.
There was a crew that used to import tons of equatorial herb that got busted in 1989 they had ties to both los Angela’s and Florida. Maybe the original triangle plant they speak of was Cambodian and from the golden triangle not the emerald.

6 Likes

I tried asking Josh D is Emerald Triang had any sativa in it …no response

2 Likes

I’m not sure if josh ever saw the emerald triangle, the Florida guys say they don’t know what it was but that it came from some people who were no longer operating after 89, I’ve been told it was a stretchy floppy plant if I remember correctly I’d have to check back in older messages.
There were these cuban and Hispanic groups that operated from Florida to los Angela’s and had ties to medallion they got busted in 89 , a lot of big people went down that year, the emerald triangle used to come wrapped in newspaper that was from washington so they all think it’s from there but I think it was imported to Washington by boat and wrapped and sent out from there. They started doing drops on the California coast but once all the spots were hot they moved further and further north.
The structure and longer flowering times screams columbian/Jamaican or Cambodian influence of some kind.

5 Likes

i popped some og kush a cpl weeks ago from @Gpaw was wondering if you have ran these before or were they from a trade or co op on here. wanna see what im in for lol

1 Like