OG’s Strain of the Year 2023

Leafly named Seed Junky’s Permanent Marker strain of the year, and many other prominent cannabis magazines and forums had “Best Strains of 2023” lists.

Most of OG’s avid growers and smokers have a strain each year that really hits differently than anything else on the shelf. Each year I label a few strains in my library “CerebralMeds Strains of the Year 202X”. So, what was your Strain(s) of the Year for 2023? I’ll go first.

CerebralMed’s Photo Strain of the Year: (1) NYCeeds Sour Spritzer (Topdawg’s Sour Diesel BX3 x Cannarado’s Spritzer); and (2) Romulan Genetic’s Communion S1 ((Grapestomper OG x Durban Poison) x Romulan).

CerebralMeds’s Auto Strain of the Year: RocBud’s Project 51 (Project 4516 x Grape Dosi Auto)

CerebralMed’s Clone of the Year: Pisces Genetics’ Motorbreath 15

PS The strain does not have to be anything recent—you can tell us that Panama Red was your strain of the year. We just want to hear what you liked!

18 Likes

This thread is a fantastic idea. Sure, it’s useful to know who High Times likes, but I want to see what everyone else considers the year’s best.

My strain of the year is Purple Canyon by Greenpoint Seeds. I grew at least 7 phenos and all were good smoke. A landrace cross I was working with hermed on one. I grew out a few seeds and there was a lot of fire in the mix and even found a new keeper!

So I’ll be working with this strain for awhile, growing out all my seeds.

6 Likes

My strain of the year has undoubtedly been double Kush by a natural selection….
Tastes and grows just like bubba but with more oomph and yield, gorgeous bag appeal and was a breeze start to finish. These were given to me by the breeder as he knew I loved bubba and had some Chemmy Jones stuff he knew I was scouting the earth for. Definitely put them on my radar!

16 Likes

I remember when Romulan Genetics posted a picture of that. It looks amazing.

5 Likes

Nice idea, i like it.

2023 was fully dedicated to complicated repros, so i’m forced to quote the 2023 Sensi Big Bud.

Because it’s the only one i let flower unseeded during one round, with rejected phenos lol. Not hype or whatever, but i was positively surprised by the new extra kick and some nice variations in terp departement. Still a very sugared smoke like it was, but with a bonus if you pay the price to find clean phenos. Still a good horse in yield too, 1 oz trimmed/dried per specimen with zeroveg was the average without pushing much the plants.

11 Likes

I had some Chemmy Jones in Colorado and had to source some seeds, it was so good! I couldn’t find the original, but I found a reproduction by The Cloning Chamber. I’m excited to see what’s in that pack.

6 Likes

London city genetics cheese dipz, its absolutely reeking, it’s top drawer!
I’ve also bluchi from the same breeder I run frequently.

Cheese dipz

Bluchi
701a4386af162eac846f4911c981c542ef65d6db_2_417x500
For this year i’ve got blockbuster and bluchi v3 from them, i intend to have them ready for flowering as soon as my current crop is finished and dried.

15 Likes

For me the strain of the year is, hands down, skunk tangerine. Like suckin on a tangerine.

10 Likes

My strain of the year was also from NYCeeds. The Blue Zu #69 x SpritZer that I got as freebies when purchasing his Sour Spritzer that I’m running now. I ran the freebies first since I got double of them for some reason and only a 3 pack of the sour spritzer.

For autos my favorite was probably Starfox from Nightowl. Solid burnt rubber and incense terps that I really enjoy.

9 Likes

Awesome! A good friend gifted me some Big Bud last year too. I definitely will be growing it out this year.

4 Likes

It’s one of the few smokes that on exhale I literally exclaimed, “Damn, that’s medicine.”

3 Likes

I been on a cheese hunt. Going to look into these.

3 Likes

Nice to hear that the effects match the looks.

2 Likes

I’m happy to hear big bud is still around and kicking!

6 Likes

Oh man ! I’ve got a treat for you soon! I feel the same! Chemmy Jones is in my top ten EVER !

5 Likes

Chem 91… it’s been a good year.

5 Likes

#1 rec market bud I had 2023:

‘Ghost Dawg’ from River Driver in Brunswick, Maine. Super dank/shitty kushy OG type, smoked the lil 8th jar in a weekend, was amazing. Fantastic flavor, great æffect with ‘no ceiling’, perfect cure/freshness.

Legal pot isn’t supposed to be this good, but in some places they figured it out.

6 Likes

as a matter of fact that’s mine. smoked a whole hell of a lot of it from the dispo, developed a liking for it, traded seeds for three different versions of it, and have 6 about a month in right now. i’m sure mine will be much better than the dispo smoke.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Have you ran all 3? If so, what have you found so far and which has been your favorite?

1 Like