Old School Heady Glass Appreciation Thread

I prefer them to this day lol.

2 Likes

That’s exactly how it works… it’s great!

1 Like

Swing sets! What a blast from the past! I’ve only ever seen one of those once, when I first started smoking, and the person had already retired it for a domed nail setup. This is a cool history of dab tech I found looking at pictures of old rigs:

3 Likes

Search up Corning Glass channel on youtube, they have been featuring glass pipe makers, and they have videos of them making these sorts of pipes and bongs.
It is cool that they are now getting respect in the glass blowing community.

1 Like

All from The Mind’s Eye glass at Michigan Renaissance festival. I especially like the pistol grip on the purple bowl, you’ve never held something so securely in your hand by design

7 Likes

@Pawsfodocaws killer looking sidecar!

@LennyB ive watched a bunch of the Corning museum stuff, even theirs traditional hot glass stuff is super fun to watch, but it’s really cool they’re showing some love to the pipe makers

@TestOfOath that dab straw :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: super cool man, I was googling around for some heady looking fumed out dab straws a while back, didn’t turn up much, love the look of that thing! And yea I could see that pistol grip piece being super comfortable, I’ve started to gain an affinity for hammers for that exact reason

1 Like

Another one from the collection. This one comes from David James out of Norfolk VA. This is the most recent purchase, I had a bug to find some really gnarly inside out dichro stuff, like I used to see in head shops all the time back where I grew up. I stumbled on david’s work on IG. He’s moving now into more scenery stuff doing bonsai trees in slides, but some of this style of his work is still available at some local shops. Dude busts these out production style so the price is very reasonable and the vibes are high :v:t2::v:t2:

12 Likes

That’s some cool stuff. I recently discovered some of the same glass artists on IG. There’s some crazy amazing work out there!

1 Like

Just a few I use once in a while, I use my vaporizer now… great thread :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

9 Likes

I’m looking that guy up, killer work there

1 Like

@HashstasH some killer pieces there bud! big love for those hammers.

@Dirt_Wizard dude actually posted in his stories today saying that hes thinking about stopping doing the inside out work, that hes been doing that style for like 21 years now. i hit him up immediately and told him not to :laughing: but now might be the time if you’re in the market

1 Like

Maybe I’ll hit him up direct on his IG, but I also found this website www.witchdr.com based here in Massachusetts that has a lot of heady choices with a 20% code RN so I’m looking through their choices too. Definitely committed to inside out work, along with good glassmaking practices like full melt and garaging I think it makes for a really tough pipe. I’ve seen a lot of high quality inside out pieces take a bounce on concrete without shattering.

1 Like

Funny story, I lived with a glassblower after college in a townie house, he was apprenticing with a famous local glass artist and had access to tons of scrap borosilicate, high end kilns and garaging ovens, so he started making beads and globes and…dildos. He came home once with some test pieces to give away, half of which were nice and half of which were NOT, mostly because of uncomfortable shapes or textures. The rejects kicked around our house as props/decorations (ah hippie rooming houses) and one night someone threw the 12", three pound one off our second story roof and bounced it off the street and into the bushes. We made them go find it, and and I have it sitting on a bookshelf as a weird memento, it’s got one scratch where it hit and is otherwise undamaged. So I guess the lesson I took from that is buy good thick glass skillfully made and it’s damn near indestructible. Added anecdote: I threw a couple different pieces out the window of a moving car in college when we were getting followed by the local police, and every inside out one survived.

7 Likes

im always checking out WitchDr, also Jim Buddy’s (i think MA based as well) has some cool heady stuff, and the Dab Lab in CO is really good too. If anyone else has any headshops that stock this stuff shout them out!

@Dirt_Wizard thats a trip! i can certainly attest that one of the hallmarks of this old school style is that the glass is THIIIICK! the pieces i have from Jerry Kelly all feel like they could survive getting pitched out a car window, or be used to drive nails, it helps to swallow the price tag on some of this stuff if you know that its built like a fucking tank!

1 Like

Seemed like a good catalyst to post some shots of one of my Jerry Kelly chillums.

This one grabbed my eye because of the shamrock millie, being that i’m 1/2 Irish, but it’s also got some super cool flowers and turtles on there as well. Like I said above all Jerry’s stuff is built so damn thick, I feel like I could chuck this thing out of a two story window and the thing would just bounce around. . . I won’t do that though

12 Likes

See, when someone hands you a little chillum that looks like that you know you’re smoking that Family two-hitter quitter

2 Likes

When you guys say the glass blowers are on instagram how does one buy from them if not registered to instagram?

2 Likes

Some of them have other ways to get in touch like websites but for a lot of them it’s their only or main way of communicating with customers. If there’s anyone in particular you’re looking to get in touch with I’d be happy to reach out to them for you and ask for another way to get in touch.

2 Likes

I’ve also found some guys like maytinglass on Etsy. It’s a bit of a crap shoot where to find these guys sometimes, there are still dudes that only wholesale to brick and mortar headshops so it can be a bit of a hunt to get a piece from a specific artist sometimes

3 Likes

Yea I have only bought from headshops but don’t have anything custom made like that. My brother’s wife has a bong that is very worked and I don’t know all the glass terms but it looks like the pieces on this thread. She has a name for it and is very sentimentally attached I’m scared to be near it haha. My bongs have always been Roors or the mass produced numbers but I love them.

3 Likes