Opinion on this light

This light comes from a cheap manufacturer. Its regular price is over 750 Canadian. On sale for 199.

Next run I am purchasing sol strips but I still need more lights as I want to retire hids that I use for veg and flower. I know next to nothing and I need a light to supplement my veg area as my timing was all off. Now i have too many plants that are too big in veg. Is this a complete waste of money?

3 Likes

Try this one instead maybe :wink:

I’m getting one tomorrow :grin: it’s a 300w actual draw and has a 5x5.4 feet coverage area.

4 Likes

Yeah I looked at that one. My only reservation is there are some reviews where fans burn out. But that’s a cheap fix to my temporary problem. Thanks for the response.

4 Likes

You know i was gonna say crap you can just go with some led Screw in lights “SIL” from homedepot and some 7 way splitters if you needed some more light for your veg space, but i started to work out comparisons between the “SIL’s” i like and that mars hydro light.

If they are honest on its specs for a 150w “actual” use light, its actually not that bad, specs wise would put out the same light as say 14 of the 14w sil’s at 25% less power consumption, foot print is alright, and cost would be about $50-80 bucks more before taxes.

If its true to spec and holds up, sure why not.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t recommend the MARS units. In fact I would call them a waste of money.

9 Likes

@Scissor-Hanz in the past with their burple products for sure they were junk, gonna support you on that, but this one above i can’t comment on, haven’t seen it and don’t know it, and seems like there “new” version, maybe things have changed…

Better looking spec wise than that amazon product though, by like twice

5 Likes

and that link above is deceptive, shows there old mars hydro style lights not the actual unit they are selling above.

Model: 2019 New Mars Hydro TS 1000W Led Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg Flower Replace HPS
Feature:Replace 1000W HIDAll StagesHigh PARDiscreet PackNo noise
Number of leds: 342 pcs
LED Type High intensity Newest SMD led chips design, no lens over leds,no leds burnt out.
Spectrum 660~665nm, 3200~4200Knm, 5200~6800Knm Best Full Spectrum output for all stage of your plant growth and bloom.
Actual Wattage(±10%) for per unit: 150W@AC120v, 148W@AC240v
Amp Draw 1.10A/110v, 0.59A/220v
Core Coverage 2.5ft x 2ft = 76cm x 60cm
Max Coverage 3ft x 2ft = 90cm x 60cm
Core PAR Value 552 umols
Lumen Output(±5%) 22216 lumen@AC120V, 22181 lumen@AC240V
easily Replace HID/HPS/MH
Light Size :36cm x 33cm x 3.4 cm
Cord Length 6 ft
Heat Output 409 BTU
Leds View Angle 90°/120°Mixed
Input Voltage 85V-265V(AC)
Frequency Range 56~60Hz
Life Rating 50000-100000 hours
Noise Level 0 DB
Package Size 42cm x 40cm x 12cm
Net Weight 1.76kg / 3.75lbs
Gross Weight 3.49kg / 7.69lbs

5 Likes

would be cautious of the cooling capacity of it being just bent metal but :shrug:

Edit: @PoppaPuff Did a bit further diving, looks to be a generic driver “juson” which looks to be just a generic electronics builder but the driver may be tunable by the picture but i expect voltage and current as just one adjustment, not a better driver where you can do each individually or say build the circuit to voltage specs with current just being adjustable but in bulk looks to be about $18-20 a driver, the panel will probably be in that range “wild guess” plus the bent metal and rest of bits and bobs, Would be guessing there cost is probably in the $40-60 range.

Really just some Shenzhen made and built jeneric cheap basic light that’s an new update from previous versions in the market…

Would still be interesting if the specs held true

5 Likes

What $$ you wanna spend @PoppaPuff ?.

4 Likes

Guess thats more what it boils down to lol

How much and to fill what space…

4 Likes

$135 US delivered to Canada (if you must) -
Mars-Hydro

I wouldn’t buy it. Low budget mass produced knock off stuff. Zero support from fleabag seller

6 Likes

Yeah that’s the one I’m asking about. That 750 dollar original asking price on Ebay makes me wary.

4 Likes

I don’t know about that particular unit but I can never recommend a mars hydro unit. I got duped into buying one years ago. it was aight but about 50% of the diodes burnt out after only a few runs.

It seems like with LED you either have to DIY or pay to play. There’s no way around it. Have you seen the HLG canada units?

7 Likes

Well that $750 supposed price tag is just BS, that’s just a marketing technique to get people to think they are getting a deal… When the listed price is actually just what they want to sell it at anyways.

5 Likes

There are some Spyder light looking ones on there too. TBH if needed tinkering inside the light to ensure proper cooling would be a cheap solution. I’m grabbing it to finish this grow. It should last a month at least and that’s what I need anyways. I can’t fit a diy solution in my budget if I’m going to get myself self sufficient and in a new place by August

1 Like

All I’ve got to say is that if you have to pull the trigger on it, buy it from Mars. You’ll get your warranty replacement quicker.

Specs are NOT good on that thing. One square foot patch lit up to max rated intensity at one foot.

2 Likes

stumbled upon this, confirms my suspicion on the cooling capacity.

@paintedfire420 yeah if HLG canada sold the 4 packs of the QB120’s id be eyeing them up

6 Likes

Do you mean these? I’m getting a woody just looking at them.

2 Likes

Yes but I was thinking more along the lines of 100-120 watt. It looks like they took them off the site.

3 Likes

Here’s a review he also has one of another Mars light that seems more legit. https://youtu.be/c8HhNpqiRLw
Decent lights but there’s better for the $ if you want links to better be happy to help.

3 Likes