Optimizing seed development

There’s a specific protocol to force the plant to generate seeds quickly. Gimme a sec, I might be able to dig it out.

4 Likes

There you go. You can actually speed up seed generation with this specific protocol.

21 Likes

I feel this holds water and I actually experimented a bit. This last rounds open pollination I ran on a 1:1 formula more N heavy as compared to a 2:1 more PK heavy feed that I would typically run in flower (though I have run a standard flower formula and had plenty of success.) and from what I’m seeing from the Blueberry Diesel x Black Cherry beans are thick and just seem super healthy. Mind you this is just conjecture. But my eyes are telling me this make more sense if you’re going for beans and not so much smoke. Flower definitely wasn’t the best looking but I’m pretty sure all the energy went into the beans.

Would love to see this put to the test with clones of a male female combo this way.

7 Likes

Very cool ! Though I am still wondering whether or not using the 24 hour light has any ill effects towards the genetics those seeds will produce. Primarily, hermaphroditism
That article seemed to be aimed at commercial hemp seed production, so I wonder if they would even care about the stability of the offspring.

2 Likes

Replicating the optimum, natural environment in which the plant evolved is what it wants. :pensive:

I haven’t performed any of the suggested experiments so I can’t say much yea/nay :sweat_smile:

An interesting hiccup is the autoflower-- I suspect they make seed just fine under 18/6 :man_shrugging:

@ReikoX - ever mess with the lights when you made seeds?

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

@Buddhachronic budbusterpro is magic and i’m sure Bob (aka: @BudBusterPro ) will chime in here soon enough.

4 Likes

Actually, I’ve followed the protocol in that article that @JoeCrowe posted above a number of times. It’s handy because once seed is set, I can move them back to my veg room. It’s amazing how many seeds you can make with a clone in a solo cup. :grinning:

18 Likes

See - and that’s exactly what I’ve been looking to find out.
I’ve decided to do exactly that for their last week of growing (the 24 hours) because to me, more photosynthesis= more energy available to finish seeds.
It’s just such an oddball topic because nobody (in general) WANTS seeds :joy:

5 Likes

Generally I’d agree on natural environment, however - most indoor growers aren’t even truly doing that. 12/12 is basically used because it’s the bare minimum to keep them in flower - whereas in nature, the light cycles are gradual and by harvest time - less than 12/12.
So even there, nature isn’t “duplicated”.
Now the autoflower thing is actually a great point ! Because they’re generally grown under longer photoperiods, does that actually aid in seed maturation times ?
THATS what has me curious…

2 Likes

Oh yes they do :call_me_hand:

8 Likes

Lol, well yes - present company does. But the average grower

3 Likes

Oh but they will :joy:

Seriously though I have no precious secrets for you other than 5 weeks maturation and proper nutrition.

2 Likes

Oh I know, and the tried and true method has always been just fine. I’m more posing hypotheticals because I don’t see any discussion about it.

Everyone focuses on higher flower yields, faster plant growth, things of that nature. But all I DO is breed so, I’m more interested to know if anyone has found ways to enhance THAT side of things.

3 Likes

@Buddhachronic
Actually, the component that is most important in growing plentiful, large, viable seeds is really no different (from a Plant Physiology standpoint) than growing maximum bud, or for that matter tomatoes or artichokes !
You can have two plants that are grown exactly the same way, same conditions, the BIG difference is In the plants metabolic and translocation efficiency…this sounds archaic because most growers have never recognized it. BudBusterPro growers have seen it and it usually produces a 'Holy S*** ’ moment.

Now it is true that any reproductive structure is a LARGE nutrient sink. With increased metabolic and translocation efficiency your BBP treated plants can metabolize much more nutrient (higher EC) that will surely lock out your non treated plants. That higher nutrient demand is obviously rewarded with more flowers/buds/fruit/seed.

I sincerely respect growers choices in their nutrient and equipment choices ! So please don’t consider this a sales pitch…I’m just stating the facts for you. Good Luck with all your grows and I do hope they are all phenomenal !
Bob

7 Likes

I have to agree with your product. For me it works great. If you’re having issues with uptake you want after using BBP. I can only use it a few times. I can’t keep up. I’ll have to water and feed more. Nothing wrong with that. I try and go no larger than a 3 gallon container. Day 90 from seed is enough for me. 40$ goes a long way. @ReikoX clones are fun. Very true on making seeds.

2 Likes

I agree with that. I know tons of grower’s that clone only. No seeds at all. Seeds for me when I started. As I got older couldn’t get seeds or trust getting them. I love seeds. Not that I don’t clone. I’m not really set up for that. If I did clone I would have them everywhere.

3 Likes

Exactly this @Rhai88 !

Sure just give me a month or so and I’ll do this with the Hubbabubbasmelloscope S1 to S2 seed increase!

I have 2x females to pollinate with the 1x female in STS transition; i’ll do my usual back’n’forth with 1x plant and just flowering nutes with the other!

:rofl: :+1:

8 Likes

He’s not fucking around. I had plants running at 150% normal feed and no issues other than longer trim jail! :rofl: .

@Buddhachronic Bob ain’t joking. Many of us started using BBP after seeing the results from other threads. Just look at @JohnnyPotseed 's threads to see what we’re talking aboot.

2 Likes

Well the abstract does mention the value of non-thc compounds like CBD from female flowers :thinking:

2 Likes

150% to 200%, I tried to burn mine. It’s time for my second shot. I’m already out of control. They needed it. I had a few that would not dry out. Not anymore.
Something I do notice is the plants love it. I trim my azaleas up last year. There was some disease. I wasn’t sure if they would come back completely. Because of the trim. Had some of the regular outdoor problems. Mold and disease. I sprayed it on my plants. The next day I could see new sprouts. These new beautiful little fresh leaves. Made my plants look beautiful. I had a fire outside this past winter. Got a little bit too close to my rosemary and sage. I like to keep it in the yard. I believe it helps with mites. They have come back.

3 Likes