Optimizing seed development

Exactly this @Rhai88 !

Sure just give me a month or so and I’ll do this with the Hubbabubbasmelloscope S1 to S2 seed increase!

I have 2x females to pollinate with the 1x female in STS transition; i’ll do my usual back’n’forth with 1x plant and just flowering nutes with the other!

:rofl: :+1:

8 Likes

He’s not fucking around. I had plants running at 150% normal feed and no issues other than longer trim jail! :rofl: .

@Buddhachronic Bob ain’t joking. Many of us started using BBP after seeing the results from other threads. Just look at @JohnnyPotseed 's threads to see what we’re talking aboot.

2 Likes

Well the abstract does mention the value of non-thc compounds like CBD from female flowers :thinking:

2 Likes

150% to 200%, I tried to burn mine. It’s time for my second shot. I’m already out of control. They needed it. I had a few that would not dry out. Not anymore.
Something I do notice is the plants love it. I trim my azaleas up last year. There was some disease. I wasn’t sure if they would come back completely. Because of the trim. Had some of the regular outdoor problems. Mold and disease. I sprayed it on my plants. The next day I could see new sprouts. These new beautiful little fresh leaves. Made my plants look beautiful. I had a fire outside this past winter. Got a little bit too close to my rosemary and sage. I like to keep it in the yard. I believe it helps with mites. They have come back.

3 Likes

Looking Good

You can only affect the gene expression after you sprout the seed. They are XX, XY like a human, so the genetics in the seed are cemented during pollination.

2 Likes

Intrigued - and it makes sense, my only question is what IS it at it’s core. I’m curious if the “what and why”

1 Like

And that was my assumption as well, I’d just never tried to intentionally screw with otherwise normal cycles to find out.

1 Like

Very interesting read. Have you used this technique yet? Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Personally, I have not. I’ve always done tried and true methods. But I was sitting around the other night and as a question that’s been bothering me, I had to pose it here.
I enjoy the idea of using vegging photoperiods to grow beans but I’m more intrigued with dietary changes to try and boost seed development than anything.

1 Like

Cool thread. I usually flip my seed production plants back to veg period 18/6 once I see seeds forming. Am going to try continuous light next time.

3 Likes

It’s saved on my computers hard drive, so I can crack it out when I DO make the seeds. My plan is to cross two excellent hash producing strains, to make a third!

3 Likes

Welcome to you @SeriousHomeBreeder, feel free to introduce yourself in the “introduce yourself” thread, you will receive a warm welcome, people here are really nice, as you will see by yourself, you just joined a rich community of helping people. Good readings to you, lot of interesting threads around here, just like this one :smiley:

Just a tiny warning, you nickname can make some feel it as a potential scammer, willing to sell poor seeds, pretending to be serious, as being serious doesn’t need to be mentioned, but to be seen ^^ I don’t want to be of any rudeness , but to warn you about some people’s reactions to the name.
Have a nice day, and take care of you :wink:

1 Like

As I don’t think it’s been mentioned yet here, along with the usual NPK, plants making seeds will need a good supply of
Zinc, Boron, Molybdenum, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt.

The veg light schedule for pollinated plants is interesting though, not something I’d have thought about trying.

:v:

4 Likes

Resurrecting this post!
Does anyone have any updates from trials they have performed? Was curious is anyone tried the light schedule in the article with the addition of extra Nitrogen while finishing seeds out?

5 Likes

@Trae1170 I practice and experiment with some of this, and have been doing so for years…

In fact, you’re just catching me making seeds and revegging some of my plants. I wasn’t counting on this working, given these had been pollinated late and the outdoor was really rough.

I was able to bring plants inside a few weeks back so they could finish up seeds. I threw them in a little veg tent usually reserved for lots of small plants and kept the lights at 18/6. Revegging this way can be a very long road back, but if you have the right plants it can happen fairly quickly. I had the right genetics, but plant health when bringing them in was questionable.

One of these is a BBM x Vintage Blueberry that I just harvested F3 seeds from that was placed outdoors in the worst of conditions early in the season. It actually saw a dip below freezing at the beginning and end of its time outside (April-Nov). After less than a month indoors, it’s about to take off again in full reveg mode, all while finishing up seeds in the last. It has been in a tiny 1 quart pot it shared with her brother since April.

The larger of the two was the runt of all my keepers of Sour Diesel x SSH BX1 F3. I sent it outdoors with a bunch of other castoffs and it became one of two shinning stars of my outdoor. She’s very haze forward, but you get fuel and diesel on the back end with a hint of bubblegum sweetness. What she isn’t great at is flowering quickly. Tough to say for sure since she was pollinated young, but I suspect a more haze like bud structure and 11-12 weeks of flower once I give her a full go.

Excuse how crazy this all looks, but it’s a weird mélange of cuttings, plants from seed, that was all improvised to get these seeds to the end after them being in terrible outdoor conditions. The fact that I’ll get cuts and a second round of flower and seeds is a nice bonus since most outdoor plants didn’t survive to even come inside.

My experience over the years is that added photo period length and/or nutes doesn’t seem to speed up seeds finishing faster in a significant manner.

That said, I have experienced autos under 24 hour lighting and excellent conditions finish seeds remarkably fast. Like viable seeds in 3-4 weeks fast.

4 Likes

Interesting read must try this when I get a chance. Thanks for posting this paper @JoeCrowe

1 Like

That made for a very interesting read. Many thanks @JoeCrowe for the share!

1 Like