Organic Hydro, is it worth it?

Hey community, I would like to know your opinions on organic hydro. I am currently dreaming up my new indoor grow build. My state recently went legal. I have recived the go ahead from my better half that once the regulations are in place I can bring my little organic guerilla grows into the veggie garden, and in winter inside. The last time I grew indoors it was with magnetic ballast G.H nutes and I was wearing JNCO’s. Naturally I am excited about purchasing new gear and am considering going organic hydro. I think with the variety of pre-digested, and hydrolysate nutes available now I could provide all the macro and micro in forms that stay in suspension. All thoughts, experience, and ideas welcome.

5 Likes

It’s a project unto itself. It is generally known that sterile is easier and more effective. I’m not saying it can’t be done, just that there’s no benefit. It’s actually more wasteful, since you have to change the reservoir frequently. Mag Ballast and GH still works great. I’d swap 'em out for the new Ceramic Metal Halide lights and maybe a 1 part nutrient but that’s just me, game ain’t changed.

7 Likes

What Vern said, I’ll add on that LEDs with cmh KILLS it.

And damnit I miss my jnco’s and boss jeans with the giant legs…

1 Like

4 Likes

There are organic nutrients products out there made for hydro, you definitely can grow some nice weed. But by definition hydro cannot be organic, at least in Canada. I read somewhere that in the us it is possible to get certification for organic hydro. I guess it depends on how organic you want to be.

1 Like

Roots organic claims to be hydro friendly, I’ve used it in soil for years and can say it’s terrific in that application

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I am still on the fence but still trying to decide if it is actually more ecologicly sound to run traditional hydro and do my best to max out GPW. The energy inputs, lights, fans, A.C, ect. will be close to the same in any case.

1 Like

CMC in conjunction with LED, or seperate during different stages of growth.

2 Likes

I’m running a 5400k cmh and a ts1000 in flower and it’s amazing. The red from the ts1000 balances the k value down just a bit. I have another ts1000 but I’m doing smaller plants this round.

Check out this thread

I use HOt5’s for veg, with a mix of k values

Here’s the current run

2 Likes

I tried to do a Organic hydro and it was a nightmare, I had to change the res every other day. Organic mater caused dramatic ph swings even with a chiller hooked up to it. All kinds of root problems. No place for the microbes to live. I had lots of air stones and pumps to keep water at constant flow. That’s just my 2 cents worth.

4 Likes

Think of it this way, when your brewing Organic teas they say try to not let it go for more than 12 hrs at most to prevent it from going anaerobic. The microbes will start to die off.

That was the first time I ever had to completely abandon an entire grow. Every 12 hrs I was having to adjust the ph. I did complete water changes and everything. I ended up starting over and I used Basic GH products at almost half of there recommended dose. And it was smooth sailing till the end. Just keep an eye on the temps inside the rez. Got a little over a lb cured weight of Pineapple Express.

I stick with organic hydro outside, and chemical DWC inside.

3 Likes

Thanks for to feedback.

1 Like

Here’s more info about the organic stuff and legislation, always wondered if this line is worth trying … icon_e_confused|nullxnull

https://www.advancednutrients.com/true-organics/

4 Likes