Organic Perpetual Living Soil Fabric Bed Soil Testing

I have slacked on getting this grow diary going for far too long, I’m juggling a lot of things with different grows, so it may be a little weird chronologically but I will keep updating as I can, as I am taking extensive notes.

Background:
I’m running soil tests on different premixed living soils to try and find one that works best for what I want to do at scale. Essentially a collection of 4x4 and 4x8 Grassroots raised fabric beds with living soil that will be reused perpetually. Amendments will be added periodically based on soil test results.

Tests:
Each test run will consist of 2-3 runs of each soil in 2 4x4 raised fabric beds, The first run will have limited amendments to the soil, Vermiculite, azomite, and starter Microbial and bacterial innocents. Ideally the cultivars would remain the same throughout the whole test schedule, but honestly I don’t want the same 2-3 strains for the next year and a half so there will be some different things run. For me the performance of the soil via testing is more important. The following runs will light amending based on soil testing and soil structure.

Setup:
The setup is 2 4x4 raised fabric beds with approximately a yard of soil between the two of them. They will be running flowering plants perpetually 4.5 weeks apart.
Playing around with plant counts will vary from 6-12 plants per bed
Veg will happen in separate area and vary depending on plant count in beds.
The grow area is a sealed climate controlled 4x8 tent.
Co2 will be around 1200 ppm for the majority of the flowering cycle.
Lighting will be one Fluence spydr x plus light per bed, with an average peak pffd ~900 umol.
Temperature and humidity will be on a sliding scale based on VPD values
Aiming for around 1.4 kPa in flower but we’ll see, that’s still something I’m still working on.
Once the weather warms up enough for the reservoir, I will be installing Blumats automatic watering but for now its hand watering.

Feeding:
The purpose of this testing is to determine the viability of a limited feed, reusable soil medium. So the feeding will be kept to a minimum as follows.
1 topdressing of vermicompost about halfway through flower.

Foliar feedings: Up until day ~20 of flower or formation of first pistils whichever first.
Ful Power humid acid
Potassium Silicate
Kelp meal compost tea

Microbials:
Mykos mycorrhizal innoculant
Mammoth P
Versity Bacillus innoculant
Compost teas based on Kelp/EWC

IPM:
Regalia, Grandevo, Purecrop1 (Weekly foliar until week 3)
BCI , Nematodes. (soil)
Zerotol, CannControl (as needed)

The Soils.
Coast Of Maine Stonington Growers Mix.
The Soil Makers TSM Elite Living Soil.
Kis Organics Water Only Mix
Build A Soil 3.0

Hopefully this can be my small contribution to the base of knowledge here on Overgrow. One that I am extremely grateful for all it has given me. Cheers and welcome to the show!

9 Likes

Hell ya bud, my type of thread :+1:

2 Likes

Who are you going to use for the soil testing? Logan Labs? You doing the AA8.2 test as well? This is what I’ve been doing for a little less than a year now, amending based on a soil test and running water only through the Tropf Blumats.

4 Likes

So first soil up is Coast of Maine Stonington Platinum Growers mix.

A big thank you to Dylan at COM for his patience of dealing with me and the hundred questions I had about everything from inputs to soil test results. Really a pleasure of a company to work with.
On his recommendation I will be adding approximately 3 cu ft of vermiculite per bed.

Also while mixing in vermiculite I added Mykos, azomite (1cup/10 gal), and Epsoma bio tone starter plus (1 cup/10 gal). These are just a personal staple preference of mine added to every soil.

Next up the Genetics.

8 Likes

Did someone say soil testing?
This will be interesting.
Count me in…

3 Likes

I got eyes on! :eye::eye:
I definitely get nerd stoked for science experiments. :test_tube: :adult:‍:microscope: :microscope:
Also, I bless this grow (these grows) with the headiest of Heady Bear vibes!

2 Likes

Nice!!!
How have you found the amending to be working? Anything I should keep an eye out for?

Yes the plan is to have Logan do the majority of testing, but also living in NY I have access to Cornell University’s extension service soil testing which I am looking into.

Did you see a significant difference in the numbers between the standard tests CEC and the AA8.2? I’v read it’s soil dependent.

2 Likes

Whats Growing:

So the plan is also to use this experiment to full flower/cure and smoke test a few new strains.
First Run.
8 Umami Truffles F1 Photo Regs
8 Tiki Madman Island Fritter Photo reg

The Fritter went 8/8 germ
Truffles was 6/8

I plan on keeping the best 2-3 females of each. To keep things simple and not have to flip the plants before planting in the raised beds, I am having a Delta Leaf genetic sex test done on all of them.

I will also be adding 2 GMO clones to the mix.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing your grow and taking pics which makes it that much ore enjoyable to follow lo

Super simple, I’ve been following the suggestions in “The Intelligent Gardener” for calcerous soils.

Only issues I’ve had have been with the Blumats. I had a supply line get kinked and dry out half my bed. Another time I bumped the carrot and caused a runaway. Luckily I have trays under the beds, so water damage was minimal.

They are both pretty mich the same.I suggest picking one and sticking with it for constancy.

Yes, quite a difference in my mix. I use a modified coots mix that is heavy on the calcium and my pH is slightly above 7.0. My calcium dropped form around 10,000 pounds per acre to around 5,000 pounds per acre.

3 Likes

Down to 5 Truffles, with 2 of the Truffles being runts.
I selected the 7 best Fritter and the 3 healthy Truffles and sent the sex testing kit to delta leaf. For those who haven’t tried is very simple they give you a small piece of sample paper to squeeze the cotyledon leaves onto and place each into its own sample envelope, and mail them all to the lab. The hardest part is making sure you don’t cross contaminate between samples.
In about a week you get back a google drive link like this with the results.

Pretty straight forward, and while it is an added expense (I think I paid 10$ per plant), if your working with plant limitations in certain states the time saved is certainly worth the money.

Trying to work with a supplier in the next month on getting on site testing going. which at the small scale would still be around 10$ a test but once you get over the 100 sample mark the prices get closer to 6$