Orloff's bean graveyard

I agree :point_up: with @Papalag :100:

4 Likes

Thanks for your kind words guys, as I said this grow isn’t a proud one for me, but I hope to improve on it soon. All the good vibes are much appreciated!

6 Likes

Shit, anytime there is smokable bud at the end of the grow, it is a successful grow!! We all learn from our mistakes.

9 Likes

Ive alao read Salt peter. Or Potassium Nitrate has helped older seeds to start. I know there is another chem used I cant remember it thou right now. Ill look it up and come back. Salt Peter/Potassium Nitrate is sold as tree stump remover in lowes and home depot. Its almost 100% I wouldnt order online thou. Its used in making explosives soooo you might get red flagged like I was. I ordered a small amount from a local pharmacy and later that day a detective called my cell phone asking me what I wanted it for. :fearful:

2 Likes

I took her down yesterday. French Cookies pheno 1 from TH Seeds done and dusted :slight_smile:. She went 115 days from seed to hanging rack, full 73 days in flower. I am wondering what the yield will be, internodal distance is big and buds are far from huge. They do feel dense though.

I don’t like talking aboute smell at this point since it usually changes a lot when curing, but she is definitely putting out some deliciously sweet aromas - sweet grapefruit and jam being dominant for me right now… It’s making my mouth water and I can’t wait to get the first puffs in!

Never had stalks like these before!

All done and hanging to dry. Managed to find my old 60x60cm tent, works perfectly for this.

13 Likes

TH been around for a spell.
Ought to be sound stuff, have you smoked anything from them?

3 Likes

Not that I know of, this is my first time growing their stuff. I know they have a shaky reputation, but so far so good.

1 Like

So yesterday I transplanted my pheno #2 plant to Autopot smartpot and moved her to the “big” tent. The plant is a clone from my second seed and pretty large at this point, my notes show that it rooted end of january. That makes her around two months old and I indeed had to top her an extra time just to keep her in check in my small veg tent.

Even so, when I moved her to the new abode, I had to get pretty rough with her to fit her in. Supercropping, LSTing, you name it. I will flip the switch as soon as she’s had time to stretch her roots a bit - shooting for a week, but maybe even sooner. She is already huge and my last run was suboptimal because the plant overgrew my space, so I am wary of a similar scenario. I moved the filter and fan outside, which will give me additional 20cm or so headroom, but still…

Here she is today after her training. My wife had to help me with it since I fell from my bike on sunday and can’t raise my right arm. Possible collarbone fracture :grimacing:.

10 Likes

Hope it is just a sprain. Heal up soon.

3 Likes

That’s an easy check.
Shirt off, look in a mirror. Is one shoulder lower than the other?

Yes = collar bone… Winner Winner, chicken dinner!!
This is much easier to fix in kids than adults… :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Thanks guys, I had a broken collarbone back in '19 and it’s… not the worst I guess. Pretty standard injury in the world of mountainbiking, although I wasn’t looking for another one so soon. I’ll know more tomorrow!

3 Likes

Today was a long day :slight_smile:. Buds are dry, trimmed and in jars for start of their cure. I overdried them a bit this time, hope that large Boveda packs pull them back in the proper curing range. Final tally is 207 grams, which is a result I am happy with.

We tried a small sample yesterday and straight from the drying rack it smokes surprisingly smoothly. Will comment more about tastes and smells once the cure is done, but so far so good. This wil be some quality herb once cured!

And just for kicks, a comparison to some decent local herb.

18 Likes

Pheno #2 is well on her way, day 6 of 12/12 as of today. I’d say she just entered full stretch mode, it’s gonna be a struggle to keep her somewhat managed and contained. I’m pinching tops daily in hopes of slowing them down, but there’s not much I can do vs this beast. Lux is at 50k right now, up from 15k a week ago and she is taking it all in her stride! Can’t help but always be impressed when they enter the stretch, it’s a sight to behold. :relaxed:

I like the structure on #2 more already. Stems are thicker, branching is not as prominent, leaves are looking great. I always knew she had the potential when dialed, even through all the troublesome veg days from seed. She is of course far from dialed in my environment, but still… Stem rub is more pleasant at this point as well, delicate sweet citrus smell, like lemon cake. Delicious!

16 Likes

Great job :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

Day 18 of flower.

Not much to report on atm, grow is more or less on autopilot. FC#2 is still in full stretch beast mode, but buds have started forming in the past couple of days. I expect her to grow another 10cm or so, so I have removed all mounting hardware from LED and zip-tied it to the roof of my tent. Not much more vertical can be squeezed from my setup, but I think I’m on the safe side this time…

Plant is still on Masterblend full concentration, as she has been from clone transplant, which is around 1.7-1.9 EC with my tap water. PH is around 6.0 when mixed and I don’t bother checking it later. I am mixing smaller 10 L batched of nutrients this time because I’ve been adding silica. Last time it gave me problems, but refreshing reservoir every 3-4 days works… I’ll stop with silica in a week or so, when majority of stretch is done.

No clogging of lines or valve this time either, so Autopot is treating me kindly. Only serious dryback was like a week ago when a friend interrupted me while I was getting ready to mix fresh nutrient solution. We got wasted and I forgot to finish my work, which meant waking up the next day to a bone dry reservoir and autopot :joy:. No leaf burn though, so perhpas this pheno is more resilient to EC swings.

I am keeping lux at around 50k as measured by Light Meter android app. Tried raising it further, but the plant started exhibiting magnesium deficiencies and general tiredness, so I backed off. She is growing nicely enough really…

And a couple pics, excuse poor lighting and white balance. Photography under LED is not my forte.

13 Likes

Did some serious defoliation today. Wasn’t planning on doing it fully for a couple days more, but started pulling some leaves and one thing led to another… removed all the elongated weak lower branches and sucker budlings that would never fill up while I was at it. I left more fans than the last time, the ones not blocking any sites and not impeding airflow in a serious way. I will probably keep pruning her as the flowering cycle progresses.

14 Likes

Plenty of airflow there, another couple of weeks and it will all be back lol.

3 Likes

It’s crazy man, only a few days have passed and some big ass fanners are already blocking lower bud sites. I’ll let her go till start of week 5 and then make a correction. Next time it’s proper hard defoliation at week 3, no mores games :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Day 29 of 12/12.

This is one seriously stretchy plant, she just wont stop. I’m guessing between 2.5-3x stretch at this point, but I didn’t measure so can’t say for sure.

I did a second round of defoliation today. As @Shadey predicted, she wasted no time growing those fanners back and after a couple of days the situation was as jungle-like as before defol. I didn’t really strip her this time either, just picked leaves that were impeding airflow and blocking lower bud sites. In my small tent I have to manage air circulation to avoid stale spots, that is my main reason for defoliating…

Bud development is definitely slower than pheno #1. They look at least a week behind what I’m used to. I like the juicy pistils and trich coverage even on stems and fan leaves. I hope she seriously picks up steam in budding department, but at this time it’s looking like a 12+ week pheno :sleeping:.

The smells coming off her at this point are pleasant and delicate, just like in veg. Delicious sweet citrusy smell is still present, but another sweet herbal fragrance has prevaled recently. It reminds me the most of elderflower trees in bloom. I hope she keeps her delicate and sweet character throughout, my wife will love it!

I haven’t been tweaking the feed at all, just Masterblend at recommended mix and at full strength, coming at around 1.7-1.9 EC with my tap water. No autovalve malfunctions this time around since I’m getting better at reservoir management. Still, I noticed the faintest tip burn starting on some upper sugar leaves. If it progresses, I will start lowering the concentration. I’d love to try @ifish and @cdnBuddy ratios but am too afraid of throwing the whole Masterblend equation out of balance. I’ll have to get better with nutrient calculators…

10 Likes

@cdnBuddy will show you master blend spread sheet and explain to you what he sees that needs tweeked

Then he will show you our spreadsheet using your feed but tweeked or a version of our spread sheets if yours can’t be used
Then you will see what’s what etc

It’s that easy : ) take the dive , fire him a pm : )

6 Likes