OTUG's Space Odyssey šŸ›ø

One of the voltage regulator boxes is probably out. 3/4 voltsā€¦could result in the flicker at low power. If you can test each box.

In the second picture it looks like a capacitor might be blown.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

8 Likes

I was just going to say that capacitor looks like a crack in it. Suspect #1.

4 Likes

Zooming in it does not look like a crack @BigMike55 and all the capacitor tops look nice and flat. Does not mean they have not dried out though. What is with that ground wire @Oldtimerunderground? Was it not attached to anything?

5 Likes

Yeah the ground isnā€™t attached to anything at all.

Thatā€™s the only setting, full blast. Itā€™s just an on/off switch, no dimmer knob.

Am I able to buy an actual driver for it? Anyone know what type I would be looking to get?
@Mr.Sparkle @Gpaw

Thank you for your tips and input so far everyone :pray:

9 Likes

I think this might work

6 Likes

Highly likely but need to know the specs on it whether measured or otherwiseā€¦ Have any markings ?? Part number ect ? Also oddity looks like 4 ā€œdualā€ drivers run in parallel that I see which is odd and really ā€œcheapā€ which is kinda obvious at that build quality

6 Likes

This sounds to me like your potentiometer has a sort of arc to it. If itā€™s the dial type it may be worth swapping it out for another 100k ohm resistance potentiometer brother. Iā€™ve had a few lights do the same and swapping the pot worked for me

4 Likes

Wow; thatā€™s SUPER LAZY in the build :confounded:

5 Likes

Thank you @Mr.Sparkle

Only other thing I could find is this on the drivers
77c6d227bb3f44a00611be74591866bf30fd966e_2_690x188

:joy: yeah without a doubt. Makes me wonder about the quality of the diodes on the board and if itā€™s even worth fixing. It did work great before it started flickering though. It wonā€™t bother me that much if I never use it again(it was free) I just donā€™t like seeing something with potential sit there when it could be put to use. Iā€™d hate to junk it if potentially a $50 fix and some elbow grease can get it running again. :thinking: Would be nice to use for an extended veg area for potential outdoor 2023 candidates.

Man this mutant Amnesia Haze x Chocolate Rain F2 is a BEAST!
Here it is on the 14th

Today

Smoking on some Bubba x Gelato

fun-will-now-commence-seven-of-nine

Have a great Saturday my friends :grinning:

47 Likes

Thanks man. Iā€™ll look into that.
:+1:

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a time lapse of one of OTUGā€™s creations, posted in this thread with permission.

Itā€™s a cross of Jordan of the Islands ā€œBlack Garlicā€ (Garlic Breath x Blackberry Kush) and White Buffalo Collectiveā€™s ā€œJamaican Punaā€ (Jamaican Pineapple Skunk x Puna Haze). Itā€™s been vigorous and stretchy, and is a thriving bush after being planted in the ground! :grin:

Here it is going into the ground on June 11th
PXL_20220611_171455341

On June 22nd:

PXL_20220623_010013886

On July 17th:

On July 22nd:

On July 30th:

And a recent photo of it, probably around 6.5 to 7 feet tall these days.

36 Likes

Beautiful plants OTUG! :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

What about the white cases for the drivers you have in the bag, otherwise specifics may need to be measured.

8 Likes

I triple checked the white casings, no info on them at all. I appreciate your continued help @Mr.Sparkle, if you could let me know the best course of action and what I would need to measure/test, I would really appreciate it :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

@GlassJoeGrows that Black Garlic x Jamaican Puna looks amazing! :grinning:
I love the progression photos too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: itā€™s a tree now! Thank you for posting those beautiful pics :pray:

5 Likes

Thank you @ELG :grin:
Crazy how much can happen in a week
ezgif.com-gif-maker

My wife helped me rescue a blue lovebird earlier I found in my shed

Within 20 minutes we had it returned to itā€™s rightful owner down the road :smiley:
Now ainā€™t that a happy ending :blush:

44 Likes

glad to hear that. i lost a young african gray parrot a long time ago because the damn door was open and it flew away. iā€™m still really upset about that. a couple years later someone told me it landed on/near someone down the street (back when it flew away, not years later) but thatā€™s the last i heard of it.

9 Likes

Aw man :worried: even though it was long ago, Iā€™m still sorry to hear that. Those are some awesome (and expensive :money_with_wings: ) birds, Iā€™d be upset if I had one and it flew off too.

My dog ran away at 1am on my bday this year. Luckily someone found him the next day and I picked him up from the pound. Then, I think it was the day after that, I had to trap a raccoon with distemper, and rescue a baby goose! I donā€™t know why, but I always manage to find myself in these search and rescue animal situations :sweat_smile::rofl:

24 Likes

yeah it was pretty heartbreaking. we used to breed them when i was young. that one was the only young one we kept, and we had one male and one female (breeding partners). i think the mom bird died shortly after laying some eggs when i was still young but the male lived up until probably 10 years ago and he was around 40 years old. itā€™s pretty sad to see them go, especially when the young one had so much life to live.

10 Likes

One would need to measure the output DC voltage of the driver or circuit when in operation, and then you will need to figure out how much current the drivers are putting out in the circuit when in operation, if you know that one of them is bad and have eliminated it already it will be a give away to what they are using.

That aside its pretty sketch in construction, if a compatible driver and the driver is the cause likely they are in the $10 buck range for that style.
Second option is just remove the at fault driver all together, the panel will still run just at 3/4 the brightness.
Also flickering can also be caused by say some cold solder joints and if thatā€™s the case a simple resolder of said connections can fix the issue.

All comes down to how much time you want to put into it, myself id probably try and determine if there is faulty driver and do option 2 above after looking over the solder joints of the suspect driver and how its connected.

Obviously hit me up with questions if you need too, ill help if i can.

18 Likes