Perpetual harvest

I’ve been growing a perpetual harvest, no-till setup for almost 4 years now. Figured I’d use this thread to share the journey.

50 Likes

All looking very happy!
You got any covercrop going on down there?

3 Likes

I use a blend of clovers, vetch, peas, and a bunch of other stuff and mulch with straw.

5 Likes

how many plants per harvest?? how long between harvests?? how big is the grow area?

1 Like

What’s in the feeding water? What was put in the soil at the start?

1 Like

This tent is an 8x8. There are 2 2x4 beds along the back. One 2x4 bed in the front right and one 2x4 bed in front left. Between the beds in the front and back on each side are 35gal bags. And then in the middle of the tent I have 5-7gal bags, so that they can be easily moved if I need.

As far as how many plants per harvest, it varies depending on strain. I like to grow a variety and with different flowering times out could be 1 plant a week or it could be 6. But I’m usually harvesting something every week or every other. I’ll try to get some better pics later of the set up, but it’s packed in there at the moment haha.

8 Likes

I make teas with dragonfly earth medicine gear. The lush roots, radiant green, and fat flowers. I also on occasion will throw some sea-90 in there for a blast of minerals. I feed teas once a week or so and the rest of the waterings is just straight tap water that I aerate for a day or so. Since I started mulching with straw though I don’t need to water very often.

When I first filled the bags 3 years ago, I kinda cheated and got super soil concentrate from Nature’s Living Soil. I mixed 10lbs of the concentrate with 2 bags of nectar of the gods #4 soil as the base layer of each bed. On top of that was more #4 to the top of the bed. Then I added a ton of red wigglers. The first round took care of itself and I only used plain water. After that, each time I would harvest a plant I would transplant right beside the previous root ball and top dress with craft blend from buildasoil and have been watering teas since then.

This tent is only a flowering tent. When a plant is ready for the chop, I’ll take a plant from my veg tent and plant it in its place. It would be more ideal if I could veg for another week or two after transplanting, but this system seems to work well and it allows me to harvest more frequently.

10 Likes

Great to see it’s running so well for you!

Maybe if you sow straight into the soil you’d harvest even more frequently!
Plants might be smaller but then you could fit a few more as well.
:thinking: :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m not sure how that would work, since the lights in my 8x8 are set to 11/13.

2 Likes

First 4 weeks plants grown from seed won’t go into flower no matter what. They need a degree of maturity for that. Clones can go into flowering straight away though.

I wouldn’t plant seeds in there though.

2 Likes

Yea i have a dedicated veg tent. Even my clones I veg for a good month at least before flowering. I prefer fewer bigger plants in flower vs a lot of small ones

Fair enough!
Some growers go 12/12 or 11/13 from seed in order to sex the plants asap, then flip to veg.
I’m doing the same currently but not gonna flip to veg.
It’s an experiment, and I have very limited space so I’d rather have many small ones so I can make seeds as well.

3 Likes

That definitely makes sense for your scenario. Watchu working with currently? Any seeds on the horizon?

1 Like

Too soon to tell, but maybe there’s a male in there!

Playing around with a stacked pot setup and throwing a maximum amount of kitchenscraps at it: Stacked Pots of Joy . 2022 - #44 by Rogue

It’s going really well so far, beyond my expectations!
No watering anymore and no teas or anything else, all it gets is fresh organic matter.
Because most of what I throw in there is about 70-90% water anyway, it seems to suffice.
I’m thinking the fungi immediately suck all the water out and distribute it to the entire soil.

2 Likes

Whats lighting the whats lighting the 8x8

No watering at all!? That rules. Watering is the bane of my existence haha. I’ve been perusing your thread

1 Like

5 days since I threw a little rest of the tea I drink in there.
Definitely keeps the fungus gnats away. :wink:

1 Like

There are currently 8 240watt hlg quantum boards, a red initiator puck that comes on 15 minutes before the lights and 15 minutes after they go out. Also 2 hlg 100watt boards sprinkled in there. It’s about 2200 watts total

1 Like

I had fungus gnats off and on a couple years ago but I added beneficial nematodes to all the beds and haven’t seen a gnat since!

5 Likes

21 Likes