Outdoor grillers/smokers/cookers unite

Well… I tried my hand at making Venison Pastrami.
Full 7 day brine with pickling spices and instacure
Then I dried it, covered it a layer of rub and wrapped it tightly in 2 layers of saran wrap and stuck in the fridge for 36 hrs. This morning I took it out of the the fridge and prepped the smoker.
here is a before pic…

then I smoked it for 8 hours in my little chief on the bottom rack. I used a combination of alder, cherry and mesquite with a helping of dried rosemary with each pan of chips.
When I pulled it from the smoker it had an internal temp of about 170F and I wrapped it tightly in 2 layers of tinfoil. Then into a 300F oven for 2hrs to finish and then an hour to rest.
When I opened the foil I could not believe the juices and the smell … wow
Took a few slices and the wife and I were in heaven.
I used a leg roast instead of brisket but I’m super happy with how this turned out.

22 Likes

yesterday we cooked a Mouflon Goulash on the Tripod…

23 Likes

That looks delicious!
I need that recipe lol

4 Likes

Sorry,there´s no Recipe realy…we use to cook freestyle,kinda…
2kg Meat(what ever you prefer)
Potatoes,Onions,Garlik,Carrots,Leek(and/or GreenBeans) and Tomato Paste
Chard,Kale,dif. Herbs from the Garden,a Hand full of Blackcurrant(if you like)
some DarkBeer and/or RedWine and diff. spices of course
try your own KesselGulasch and show us some pix :wink:

10 Likes

Thanks.
We will give it a try.

3 Likes

that going to be some good eating enjoy

2 Likes

Overcrowded grill, so what?

16 Likes

looks great! cheers!

2 Likes

It was good, especially when I finished everything with a garlic herb butter. I love me some garlic. Keeps the vamps away, dontcha know? :rofl: cheers :beers:

6 Likes

Some red snapper this evening…

Cheers y’all!

14 Likes

tonight we are enjoying burgers with aged cheddar and mozza . From one of the Blacktail Deer I harvested last fall in the mountains of Pemberton BC.
seasoned with crushed pepper corns, rosemary, cumin, mustard powder, garlic powder, a pinch of cayene and some smoked paprika. No egg… no filler… just meat and spices. Grilled at 400F 2 minutes a side twice
On the side we have some shaved pastrami from yesterday’s smoking adventures. I think I like it better the next day.
cheers!

16 Likes

No fat or binders?

1 Like

no sir, 100% ground deer and spices.

3 Likes

It’s always so lean everyone in my house usually complains if I don’t add fat(usually bacon). Really hard to cook lean meat like that well, kudos to you :ok_hand:

1 Like

I am jealous! I had an omelet.

:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

This is what I done did…smoked 1/2 a chicken, tilapia and 2 bluegills that I caught on Father’s day wknd. I also made a vegetable medley w/Kielbasa sausage, sauteed green beans w/onions & mushrooms on my camp stove…I also charred an Ichiban on the stove…

Peel and eat charred Ichiban, the simplest way to cook an eggplant…

14 Likes

What I’ve got on for the 4th, I’m gonna do some potatoes and something else, having figured it out yet…

14 Likes

Getting ready to cook up some chicken legs, not as fancy but really really good.

17 Likes

Nothing fancy…Italian sausages w/pepeppers & onions.

12 Likes

No pic but I grilled up a mess of fajitas since nothing screams AMERICA like Mexican food!
I used thin cut ribeye steaks, chicken thighs, shrimp, peppers, onion, and yellow squash. I also roasted, peeled, and chopped a half dozen poblanos to give everything that smokey/sweet chile flavor. I made a queso dip as well.
We were all satiated but still had room for dessert: goat cheese topped with honey and a warm strawberry sauce (cooked down organic strawbs, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and sugar).

7 Likes