Outdoor grillers/smokers/cookers unite

No, the brisket is still vacuum sealed. It will get open tomorrow to be cooked after another round of beef jerky.

I set it at 200 for almost 5 hours and then bumped up to 250f for the last hour. It was the first thing I have cooked in that smoker so I have some learning to do about it. It was also chilly last night so that was bringing temps down a bit. Over all the jerky turned out nice but could always be improved.

5 Likes

Try 225 degrees for the entire cooking/smoking process. It looks very tasty, did you put a glaze on it?

3 Likes

Nope, no glaze. Brand new smoker. I got to put my probe in there and see what the temps are in different areas. I will figure that out tomorrow and go from there. That’s the first time I smoked with this thing and the first time I have made beef jerky so I am pretty pleased with my first attempt. Been munching on it all day.

6 Likes

I’ve just started using meat thermometers instead of eyeballing or timing. Made a big difference in my cooking results.

2 Likes

I love to grill and have been using instant read thermometers to check meat for years. They are great tools. Smoking stuff is a new thing for me but it’s fun. I am looking forward to messing with it.

3 Likes

Well it looks damn good! I am glad it turned out great for your first attempt.

3 Likes

Went ahead and bought this cheap small grill…can’t wait to try it out…I still have 3 new grills I haven’t even used yet…

7 Likes

Inspired by @DougDawson I picked up a pectoral (lean, easy grain structure), sliced ~1/8" thick and marinated overnight.

It’s good :sunglasses:

13 Likes

Hes back yall lol

St Louis style pork ribs, glazed with honey mustard for a binder to hold the texas brisket chili rub… in the smoker for an hour at 350, then ill pull them off, wrap in foil with some butter and brown sugar and back on for another hour, then pulled off and unwrapped, glazed again and back for 15 minutes to cook the glaze on a bit

14 Likes

Back at it again with a ribeye roast… had a sale at the amish store so got an 8lb roast for 46$ should last a while…

Cut it in half today, froze half and the other goes on the pellet grill at 250 for a while… salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, tony chaceres

See ya in a bit…

12 Likes

Nice man, sadly my Brisket didn’t even make it to the smoker. It had an off smell when I opened the vacuum sealed package so $80 down the drain. It was heartbreaking so I made another batch of jerky, lol.

4 Likes

Booo! I know the smell youre talking about too lol

Though with pork, heres a tip… sometimes youll buy something from the store that looks fresh, open it and it has like a funky smell, kinda like eggs… its not bad, it just came from a boar and that boar had balls or at least one when it shouldnt have… they call it “boar taint” which is why we process baby pigs and remove the testicles as soon as poosible so when they go to market as 6month old ish barrows that smell doesnt persist… sometimes they get through though and leads to an off smell in the meat that cooks out, just off putting off the start

4 Likes

Carp Smoke Session…

12 Likes

That looks good! Where I grew up we didn’t eat Carp. Ppl said it was too bony. You have proven them wrong. Is the taste similar to any other fish I might know? I’m intrigued.

Also, I love your smoker. Well done! (Pun intended)

1 Like

smoked is the best/yummiest way to eat carp,imo…just give it a try,if you have the chance

Thanks…my buddy made it from scrap metal we had laying around

1 Like

Oh man too bad about the meat.
If you have a Zehrs grocery store near you, they usually have full packer brisket on sale once a month. I check their online flyer every Thursday.
Last one I bought was $3.99 / lb.
That Bradley smoker will make a fine brisket. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So cool! I live in Virginia, so we don’t have that store. However, I live about 1500 yards from a lake
You’ve got me thinking…

1 Like

I like this cheap small grill…it does the job perfectly…

Turkey burger and Ahi tuna…

The coals are still good to go so I tossed a pork steak on the grill…

12 Likes

Thanks for the tip @toastyjakes . I think the problem for me was not knowing how long the vacuum sealed pack was sitting at the grocery store. Was quite a disappointment but not much to do about it. On to the next one, lol.

3 Likes

I like that new smoker you got.

1 Like