Outdoor grow in Northern Alberta

Day 7:

Germinated some seeds a week ago and they broke ground last Tuesday. On top we have an auto chemdawg, lower left is powerbud and lower right is the northern light x big bud.
I started them inside as our overnight lows are still pretty cold and will hopefully transplant them outside next weekend if the weather is decent. I don’t have much experience with growing marijuana outside but here’s my chance and with the great overgrow community I’m sure they will flourish!

20 Likes

I’m from the same region so I’ll be watching to see how these turn out. I’ve always wondered how autos would fare outdoors here. I feel like that’s what they are truly meant for. Cheers!

11 Likes

Just curious is next weekend to early to put them outdoors in northern Alberta? I am in NB and not putting mine out till june… I’ve worked in Alberta in the past, grande prairie, peace river area and seems it would still be to cold going from memory…

I may be wrong was just a thought… good luck with the grow!

13 Likes

Welcome, yeah it would be starting to warm up for both you two @Daddywronglegs @paintedfire420 well depending on where, we’ve just had a heat wave down here in the LML as of late but its cool today.

Will be interesting to see what you grow out ill be watching forsure ;).

Have lived and still have family still up in the Peace River Region like where @rob0781 apparently worked

@paintedfire420 does bring up side point, autos probably would work for you quite well considering the longer daylight time that you get during the summer, and they are done in however long they normally finish 60-75days vs the hard light drop off you’ll get once fall hits.

Saying that i have plenty of seeds to spare and i can send you a pack if you want to play around with them, it will allow you some fodder to learn from.

Now i have to start tracking all your guy’s threads lol

13 Likes

I would wait till after may long to plant them outside. But i would but putting them outside daily to harden them off

7 Likes

@rob0781 @paintedfire420 I think autos will do great here with the right care. May long weekend seems to be the gamble weekend and I’ll judge accordingly. They are growing nice under the light right now and I won’t rush them outside. Currently it’s 22c but the overnights are still in the mid/low single digits. Sunrise is at 5:30 and sets at 9:30 and that’s only gonna get longer.

@Mr.Sparkle thanks for the offer and optimism
Pm me, I think I should take you up on that!

6 Likes

You should take him up on that. I’m running a few of his autos and I likey.

12 Likes

I’m definitely south of you and I always wait until June 1. Lots of people go for May 2-4, but it can still be pretty cold then even down here

4 Likes

I’m taking my girls in and out yet in Michigan…might be able to do something similar. . I was up in Northern Alberta once…beautiful country!!! I remember having a frost here on June 6 once…so having them Mobile or coverable might be good plan.

4 Likes

I’d say south side of the house you’d be fine elevate them off the ground a foot or so ! As long as there rooted good there tough little buggers I’ve woke up to light snow covered plants put out a week earlier one year and they made it though np .

3 Likes

An old way of doing things here in Manitoba is May long planting, I wait till June1 unless weather is good for sure, just my take

4 Likes

last year alot of people here[nova scotia] got surprised by a late killing frost .i wasn’t one of them thank
god .the full moon in june is on the 3rd ,so i’ll wait until after that to put them in the soil.
i put them out in 1 gal pots to begin with so i can bring them in if necessary and plant after the full moon in june usually.

3 Likes

It was exact same thing here in NB… everyone i knew with a crop out was lucky not to lose it.

2 Likes

I got wiped out by an early snow last year myself, a sad bonfire

3 Likes

Will definitely be keeping an eye on the forecast as Alberta weather can change if you wait 5 minutes.
Plants are going in 5 gallon air pots so they will be easy to move if need be… I appreciate all the comments and concerns as we all know Mother Nature can be a you know what!

6 Likes

Day 14:

Looks like the overnight lows after tonight will be in the high single digits (celsius that is) so I’ll be putting these girls outside. They are loving life under the light right now and am looking forward to seeing how well they do outside. It’s been pretty breezy lately and am hoping that doesn’t affect them to much either…

6 Likes

7 Likes

Hello and good day,I live in the area that you are talking about as well,and have just started to put veggies outside this morning,I feel that there is a good chance of a little frost yet(on a whim,hehe),I’ve run autos a few years ago,and usually have something outside every year,has been frustrating,a lot of work for no return (other than experience), I have a couple autos started and plan to finish out side,my main concern is that the neighboring farmers are growing fields of hemp,and will contaminate a sensi crop if not finished early enough (my autos (feminized) that I ran years ago,were seeded),I hope that helps,hehe anyone develop a sterile female yet? Hehe peace and love

3 Likes

@Ftlob you could try giving the plants a gentle mister to keep them a little damp to kill off the pollen? That would suck so bad. And then the seeds would be bird food as well :sleepy:

1 Like

Thanks brother,I do believe the key is timing,have them finish before the pollen flies,light DEP or autos started a month earlier than the last frost, peace and love yeah!

2 Likes